Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi
I would like to buy this mixer, but I really like the UA Apollo Duo interface I have, I am used to it and would like to record to my DAW (Logic) with it, then use the Mixer for mixing. would I them start using the Presonus interface??
Is this possible? which way do I do this!? confused! :shock:
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:56 am
You can't use 2 interfaces at the same time if you want reliable performance. I have to ask why you would want the mixer , unless you need more inputs. The AI boards do not have midi faders, so it will not control the faders in studio one. For something like that, you would look to the newly announced StudioLive 32, which will provide control for Studio One. Announced street price at launch is 2700.00 usd.

http://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-32

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by SwitchBack on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:23 am
Hi and welcome,

I am slightly confused by your workflow too. The StudioLive mixer is at it's best for live stuff, recording live inputs and offering main mix and/or monitor mix outputs. Once the tracks are recorded in your DAW and the talent has gone home all you need really is your DAW and a couple of outputs. The StudioLive can provide that of course but it won't, as Matt wrote, control your DAW. Perhaps, considering you already have the Appollo, you'd be better off with the CS18AI?
by michaelalgar on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:17 am
SwitchBack wroteHi and welcome,

I am slightly confused by your workflow too. The StudioLive mixer is at it's best for live stuff, recording live inputs and offering main mix and/or monitor mix outputs. Once the tracks are recorded in your DAW and the talent has gone home all you need really is your DAW and a couple of outputs. The StudioLive can provide that of course but it won't, as Matt wrote, control your DAW. Perhaps, considering you already have the Appollo, you'd be better off with the CS18AI?

Yes, thats better, but I want to use Logic with it, this only works with Studio One.
by sjc193 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:29 am
I'd be looking at the FaderPort 8

https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort-8

starts shipping in November and should work with any daw using Mackie protocol

I've been kinda drooling over it myself for a couple weeks. . . GAS. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:35 am
Yes, thats better, but I want to use Logic with it, this only works with Studio One.

Was stated that Mackie and Hui support coming early 2017, so keep an eye out.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by michaelalgar on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:20 am
matthewgorman wrote

Was stated that Mackie and Hui support coming early 2017, so keep an eye out.

oh wow, great stuff, though it still has an audio interface, would I be able to use my Apollo Interface instead?
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:32 am
The audio interface is avb only, and is not yet active for recording. Even when implemented, you could use your interface for audio, and the CS18 for control.

If you really want to stir up some trouble with your bank account, take a look at the StudioLive 32, to be released later this year.More faders, similar daw control of the CS, and 32 inputs.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by michaelalgar on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:44 am
matthewgorman wroteThe audio interface is avb only, and is not yet active for recording. Even when implemented, you could use your interface for audio, and the CS18 for control.

If you really want to stir up some trouble with your bank account, take a look at the StudioLive 32, to be released later this year.More faders, similar daw control of the CS, and 32 inputs.

Could I also use this with my interface and logic?
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:50 am
I think you could, but not all information is out on the product to confirm. There is a live presentation tomorrow for more information on it. I am guessing that having the mixer in daw mode, and connecting for control via the network, in theory that should work. What I don't know 100% right now is if Mackie and Hui modes would be supported for 3rd party control over ethernet. I am guessing they would, since the only option on the CS18 is ethernet.

This is all guessing on my part though. More information will have to come out to make it a viable purchase for your application, but its worth keeping an eye on.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by michaelalgar on Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:57 am
sjc193 wroteI'd be looking at the FaderPort 8

Steve

What do you think of the appearance though? not sure myself
by sjc193 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:11 pm
michaelalgar wrote

Steve

It appears to me like I could do some serious mixing in the box with it, and it's much cheaper than the other options being discussed because it has no interface. That's really why I mentioned it because you don't need an interface, you need a controller, and the 24.4.2AI is not a controller. I think once I get used to flipping through banks of faders (8 at a time) the faderport could be great. Wish I could control my RM32 with it for live sound, that'd be sweet!!!!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by michaelalgar on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:52 am
sjc193 wrote
michaelalgar wrote

Steve

It appears to me like I could do some serious mixing in the box with it, and it's much cheaper than the other options being discussed because it has no interface. That's really why I mentioned it because you don't need an interface, you need a controller, and the 24.4.2AI is not a controller. I think once I get used to flipping through banks of faders (8 at a time) the faderport could be great. Wish I could control my RM32 with it for live sound, that'd be sweet!!!!

Steve

I think it fine for Studio One Steve, but not fully functional for Logic, I think the Logoc Remote iPad app is better, fully functional, and no banking through faders, just scrolling!

13 posts
Page 1 of 1