Includes StudioLive 312Ai, 315Ai 328Ai and SL18sAi
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
My two new 18sAI cabinets came with firmware v5959. I am unable to successfully upgrade either of these cabinets to v8057.

- Tried 3 different USB sticks (2 SanDisk Cruisers & one generic). SanDisk and generic I have used successfully dozens of times on RM & CS product firmware upgrades.
- Formatted on various attempts on Windows & Mac (FAT32 with MBR selected if formatted on Mac).
- Verified over and over the instructions and watched the video (holding down button and counting my Louisiana's).
-Reluctantly purchased a 5 pack of SanDisk Cruzer Glides 8 GB (exact stick recommended by PreSonus). I have tried 2 so far...one that I have formatted on different attempts on Mac & Windows and one I took out of the package, deleted contents and copied the .bin file....still no go.
-Opened a tick with Tech Support - well not a good answer as I am not shipping them back to them so they can do it for me.
- I can successfully upgrade/downgrade between v5959 & 5538, but not v8057.

Any ideas on what to try? I am crossing over to the definition of insanity as I am probably approaching 25-30 attempts...

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by Karyn on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:17 am
Exactly what is - or isn't - happening?
What precisely are you including on the memory stick (list the files...)

I recently upgraded all my ai speakers with no issues using SanDisk 8Gb sticks.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by bubbaguth on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:26 pm
I have a feeling that for some reason, the speaker is not reading the USB stick so I would appreciate knowing how you format your sticks. On my Mac, I use Disk Utility to "Erase" (see screenshot). When you format on Windows you have the option to change the allocation size but don't touch that either by default. I have since tried different allocation sizes and it doesn't seem to make a difference either. I have left the "Quick Format" checked, FAT32 & have not changed the Volume Label.

Moving on, I download v8057 firmware and copied the upgrade.bin file from the "SL Room Control Only" folder to the USB stick so that is the only file that I can see on it. Power down the speaker, insert the USB, press and hold a button, power on the cabinet and count to 10. The cabinet continues to cycle the lights for several seconds and then returns to normal. Power down the cabinet, remove the USB stick. Reinsert dongle or Ethernet cable and power the cabinet. I select the speaker in Room Control to verify the firmware version.

Just to verify, you upgraded an 18sAI from v5959 to 8057? Again, I would appreciate knowing how you are formatting your sticks.

Thanks

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 1.03.18 PM.png
Mac Formatting Options

MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by Karyn on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:04 pm
I must admit I'm lazy when it comes to formatting USB sticks. I just delete anything I find on new ones and use as is.

I must admit I don't like the "upgrade" process, I always do a factory reset, otherwise known as giving it all the files it needs rather than relying on an upgrade script.

With speakers and consoles and RM I've always have issues with "upgrade".

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by bubbaguth on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:38 pm
Hey Karyn -

How do you factory reset speakers? Is it pulling the card like the mixers?? I can't find any info on this procedure.

BTW - I just tried another 4GB generic stick...the status lights went round and round for several minutes (about a half hour) and then bailed on it and shut the speaker down. Powered up and still at v5959.

MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by bubbaguth on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 pm
Wow - what a ride...

Thanks Karyn....unless you are going down the Dante path, there is no information how or if a firmware recovery is even available for these speakers. Being very familiar with the RM/CS, I figured it was an option but nowhere has this been offered as a solution. Now after reading through the SL-Dante-SPK user guide, the firmware recovery steps were outlined and I was able to successfully upgrade them.

The speakers seem to have the same issues the RM series once had with upgrades failing.

MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by Karyn on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:20 am
I believe the difference between "Upgrade" and "Factory reset" is simply the files you give it.

There is a firmware file called "upgrade" or "update" and also the 4 firmware files. For a simple update, you give the speaker only the upgrade file. for full reset you give it the four firmware files and NOT the update file...

I think that's right...

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by john_kaufman on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:42 am
Bubba, having the same issues here with my 18sAI's - stuck at 5959. Are you saying that a factory reset using the 8057 files is the solution?

(2) 32R | (2) 328AI | (2) 18sAI | (2) ULT15 | (2) QSC K12 | (2) QSC K10.2 | (20+) Shure's & Sennheiser's - wired and wireless | (2) iPad 2017 | (4) iPod 6 Touch | (2) MacBook Pro | Full Ubiquiti WiFi Mesh setup | (1) Furman 20AMP Power Conditioner | Bunch of F34 Truss and DMX Lights | 16x12' Stage | (1) Box Truck and (1) Billion cables.
by bubbaguth on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:21 am
Yes, I think you are stating it correctly.

Firmware UPGRADES using the "upgrade.bin file located in the "SL Room Control Only" folder did not work for me but a firmware RECOVERY was successful to version 8057.

The recovery files are the 4 files located in the SL-Dante_SPK Install folder. These files and these files only should be placed on the USB stick and following the same procedure, the USB stick will hopefully install 8057 successfully on the speaker, at least it did for me.

The folder name is what got me confused because I thought it contained files for cabinets that had Dante cards. No, it contains the files for any cabinet to perform a recovery.

MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by john_kaufman on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:23 pm
Thanks. I had a ticket open and no one mentioned this but the release notes state the the only changes in 8057 are Dante changes. I have to wonder if upgrading requires a Dante card to be present, but of course a recovery wouldn't...

Anyway, thanks for the info.

(2) 32R | (2) 328AI | (2) 18sAI | (2) ULT15 | (2) QSC K12 | (2) QSC K10.2 | (20+) Shure's & Sennheiser's - wired and wireless | (2) iPad 2017 | (4) iPod 6 Touch | (2) MacBook Pro | Full Ubiquiti WiFi Mesh setup | (1) Furman 20AMP Power Conditioner | Bunch of F34 Truss and DMX Lights | 16x12' Stage | (1) Box Truck and (1) Billion cables.
by bubbaguth on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 am
john_kaufman wrote I have to wonder if upgrading requires a Dante card to be present, but of course a recovery wouldn't .

The firmware applies to any speaker configuration - upgrade or recovery.

MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by rjkeller on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:06 am
Im having the same problem Upgrading Firmware on my 18 SAI. I have two with Firmware showing 4834 And two showing 5132. If im understanding this do I have to go in to the dante Upgrade file and download that ???? I upgraded all my other gear with no issues.
by bubbaguth on Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:20 pm
Locate the the 4 files located in the SL-Dante_SPK Install folder and copy those files onto your USB stick and use these files to perform a recovery/upgrade.

MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro

13 posts
Page 1 of 1