Discuss Notion for iPad and iPhone here.
50 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone has some experience taking a graphics document like a PDF file of written music and somehow importing that into Notion for future editing and MIDI conversion. I run Notion 6 on IPAD and also run the windows version of that plus Studio 1 .. Technically, I have probably any graphics app under the sun to make the source file about anything. I can make the source file a PDF, jpg, png etc.... you name it, I can probably make it. I have google searched this and found some and demoed them, but nothing seems to be able to make sense of the PDF of music.

thanks much!

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
Roland Fantom X | Roland RD600
by gianfrancocalvi on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:20 am
SmartScore X2 Pro: PDF -->> Music XML

Import Music XML in Notion.

Job done

Bye
GF
by christopherrussell on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:55 pm
NotateMe & PhotoScore IAP. $70. Take picture with iPhone or Android phone, export to MusicXML. Edit in Notion.

PhotoScore Ultimate is available for $249, and can open a PDF. Same deal.

In my experience, PhotoScore is FAR more accurate (even on iPhone) than SmartScore...although their most recent version (SmartScore) is much better than it used to be.

• 2018 MacBook Pro i5, 2.3GHZ, 16GB RAM
  • 12.9" iPad Pro 2, 256GB, Apple Pencil
  • iPhone 8 Plus
Music Education (usually Choir, licensed in Band/General Music/Orchestra), Technology in Music Education, Arranging, Tuba, Tenor, Ukulele
by dianacalder on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:15 pm
Another option is Sheet Music Scanner from the App Store. It's much cheaper and does at least as good a job of recognition, plus it will import saved files (PDF and various image files, though I've only tried PDF) or take photos where NotateMe with PhotoScore only works with the camera directly. That means it's easier to get a clean scan for import as a desktop scanner will always get a sharper scan than handheld photos from the device.

Sheet Music Scanner also is being actively developed. NotateMe hasn't had an update since mid 2015, aeons ago in app terms.
by andrewflack on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:40 am
I have Sheet Music Scanner and it is very good.
I tried the demo of Playscore and the free version of NotateMe and they both also did a good job of scanning and recognising. So all performances being equal Sheet Music Scanner was the most economical choice for me. Its Music XML export is excellent (depending on the results of the source scan.) I have imported into both Notion and Symphony Pro on my iPad Mini.
I haven't been able to scan from a pdf with it yet but jpg photos work fine (make sure the file extension is .jpg and not .jpeg). Taking a photo direct in the app is good - the grid lines really help)

[EDIT] I have now successfully converted a PDF file. The problem with my previous attempt was to do with the integrity of the source file and not a failing in Sheet Music Scanner.
by christopherrussell on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:48 pm
dianacalder wroteAnother option is Sheet Music Scanner from the App Store. It's much cheaper and does at least as good a job of recognition, plus it will import saved files (PDF and various image files, though I've only tried PDF) or take photos where NotateMe with PhotoScore only works with the camera directly. That means it's easier to get a clean scan for import as a desktop scanner will always get a sharper scan than handheld photos from the device.

Sheet Music Scanner also is being actively developed. NotateMe hasn't had an update since mid 2015, aeons ago in app terms.

My previous post predated Sheet Music Scanner. If you want the best chance for accuracy, NotateMe/PhotoScore IAP is still the best bet. Sheet Music Scanner is a favorite, too--but it doesn't scan everything yet (e.g. triplets). The developer is working on it.

So...can you manually adjust triplets for a $5 app versus a $70 app? That depends on how much your time is worth. :D

• iPhone 8 Plus
Music Education (usually Choir, licensed in Band/General Music/Orchestra), Technology in Music Education, Arranging, Tuba, Tenor, Ukulele
by anthonywilkes on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:02 am
PlayScore is better for export because it reads all of music not just notes and rests. Repeats, slurs, articulation, dynamics, trills, turns, fermata, tremolo, hairpins etc. It is completely free with no ads for eg piano music.
by annabelia on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:04 pm
anthonywilkes wrotePlayScore is better for export because it reads all of music not just notes and rests. Repeats, slurs, articulation, dynamics, trills, turns, fermata, tremolo, hairpins etc. It is completely free with no ads for eg piano music.

Yes,PlayScore really better for export!Agree with you!
by christopherrussell on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:30 pm
PlayScore is much improved, but still one page at a time.

NotateMe (with the in-app purchase) is a very powerful tool as well that can pull in lyrics.

All that said, I still find a lot of success with Sheet Music Scanner, which is very affordably priced, and can open PDFs from the iPad directly ("open in").

• iPhone 8 Plus
by gbwhatsapp1 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm
PlayScore is better for fare since it peruses all of music not simply notes and rests. Rehashes, slurs, explanation, elements, trills, turns, fermata, tremolo, barrettes and so on. It is totally free without any promotions for eg piano music.

I have use GBWhatsapp here. This is nice app.
by raylevi on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 pm
Sheet Music Scanner from the App Store is much cheaper.
by anthonywilkes on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:16 am
Try PlayScore 2 - just released (2019). Multi page, pdf, transposition, full music, dynamics, articulation etc, even fingering! And you can create playable score documents that others can interact with free.
by mikerosen on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:52 am
I use SmartScore Pro on my desktop Mac. Yes, it costs, and there is a learning curve. The big advantage is that you can easily spot and correct scanning errors before you export the XML for work in Notion, Finale, or Sibelius. Many things are easier to deal with beforehand.

Mike Rosen
Seattle, WA

IPad Pro with Apple pencil, always the latest iOS
Just a dabbler with Notion. Much more familiar with Finale!
by erinbloke1 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:26 pm
I know this is an old post, but was wondering if anyone had any updated recommendations? I've seen one called scanscore: https://scan-score.com/en/ but was wondering if it is worth it/any good? Thanks!
by jobinkhan on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:05 am
These things have been around for over 20 years. Photoscore is probably the most well known tool and can import scans into Sibelius files. The ultimate version of the program is very good and we use it constantly in the publishing industry.
by testamonmerlin on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:42 am
PlayScore is better for export because it reads all of music not just notes and rests. Repeats, slurs, articulation, dynamics, trills, turns, fermata, tremolo, hairpins etc. It is completely free with no ads for eg piano music.
Last edited by testamonmerlin on Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Piedra sin agua no aguza en la fragua S3xon From nothing Babia nothing can come.
by marloforma on Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:21 pm
Sheet Music Scanner from the App Store is much cheaper. ;)
SmartScore X2 Pro: PDF -->> Music XML
19216811-login[/quote]
by saracovar on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:19 am
anthonywilkes wrotePlayScore is better for export because it reads all of music not just notes and rests. Repeats, slurs, articulation, dynamics, trills, turns, fermata, ringtones, tremolo, hairpins etc. It is completely free with no ads for eg piano music.

I agree with you.
by silverbogan on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:20 am
Use some applications that convert your PDF music to plain text.
by nhangelo on Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:41 am
Is it possible handwriting on score? Draw or freehand text

50 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3