5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey guys. :)

I'm working with the Firestudio Project for quite a long time now.
I got some guitar pedals and wanna use the send/return channels to modulate some single tracks in Cubase 8.5.
I was searching for advices all over the internet, but i don't get how i can route the signal out of the interface, through the pedals and back into the return channel.

Any ideas? Do i need to activate the send/return channels or something?
Here are 2 screenshots that show which channels of the interface are shown up.
Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-16 um 21.01.35.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-16 um 21.01.24.png

I would be very happy if you can help.

Best
Niklas
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:14 pm
routing in Cubase is out of my wheelhouse unfortunately. I can tell you that using guitar pedals in this way is going to introduce some unwanted noise you may not want. Taking a line level balanced output (FSP), into an instrument level unbalanced effect, and back into a balanced xlr input, is not going to be that clean.

That being said, in Studio One there is the pipeline plug to handle this type of outboard gear scenario. But doing it without pipeline, I would route my channel not to the main, but to the mono output of your choosing. Then into the effect, out of the effect into an xlr input. Then create a new track, using the xlr as the input source, turn off channel monitoring (prevent feedback loop), and record the input source.

Doing it this way, you are going to have to manually line the original source and the effect source on the timeline, as there is no way to compensate for the round trip latency you are introducing. Pipeline handles the latency offset with external hardware.

You can try to use direct boxes to help with the difference impedances you have with the line/intrument balanced unbalanced situation. One between the output and effect, and one between the effect and the input.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by niklasrehme-schlter on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:37 pm
Ok, i'm not a native english speaker so i'm not sure i understood everything correctly.
All i want is too send audio through the send channel and return it to the return channel at the back of my presonus interface - is that possible somehow? Well it should but somehow i don't make it with the routing.
by vaikl on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:12 pm
niklasrehme-schlter wroteOk, i'm not a native english speaker so i'm not sure i understood everything correctly.
All i want is too send audio through the send channel and return it to the return channel at the back of my presonus interface - is that possible somehow? Well it should but somehow i don't make it with the routing.

I'm trying my best ;) ... the send & return jacks on the FireStudio don't work if you try to put your pedal effects on recorded material in your DAW, because they only work "outside" the internal DAW bus of the FS, which Cubase uses. Thus the Cubase setup won't work here.

Working example: if you insert a mic into input 1 on the front, then use its opposite send on the back to send the signal to, maybe, a hardware delay, get it back into the return 1 -> you'll get an incoming mic signal *plus* effect signal together on track 1 in your DAW for recording and there will be no way to manipulate the send/return path from there.

If you want to get some external effect on pre-recorded material, use any normal output on the track beside 1&2 and get the signal back into another normal input to mix it with the original track (maybe on a third audio track). Because the track is pre-recorded, latency isn't the problem here. This setup could be also mapped in the Cubase setup, only with other channels than the DAW-internals 1&2. Be aware that the "sd." and "rt." abbreviations in Cubase' channel names have nothing to do with the physical send/return jacks on the FS.
by niklasrehme-schlter on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:30 am
vaikl wrote
niklasrehme-schlter wroteOk, i'm not a native english speaker so i'm not sure i understood everything correctly.

I'm trying my best ;) ... the send & return jacks on the FireStudio don't work if you try to put your pedal effects on recorded material in your DAW, because they only work "outside" the internal DAW bus of the FS, which Cubase uses. Thus the Cubase setup won't work here.

Working example: if you insert a mic into input 1 on the front, then use its opposite send on the back to send the signal to, maybe, a hardware delay, get it back into the return 1 -> you'll get an incoming mic signal *plus* effect signal together on track 1 in your DAW for recording and there will be no way to manipulate the send/return path from there.

If you want to get some external effect on pre-recorded material, use any normal output on the track beside 1&2 and get the signal back into another normal input to mix it with the original track (maybe on a third audio track). Because the track is pre-recorded, latency isn't the problem here. This setup could be also mapped in the Cubase setup, only with other channels than the DAW-internals 1&2. Be aware that the "sd." and "rt." abbreviations in Cubase' channel names have nothing to do with the physical send/return jacks on the FS.

Ahhh ok, thank you so much! Now i got it.
So there's no chance to route my signals through the send of my interface, only via the inputs of the interface.
Thanks again. :)

5 posts
Page 1 of 1