Discuss Sceptre S6 and S8 here
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I was wondering if there is a recommended break in process for the Sceptre 8?

Other monitors in this class normally have a recommend break in process before using them for mixing some take many hours.

Thanks.
by matthewgorman on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:05 am
Here is my semi scientific .02. For reference, I have both the S6 and S8's, purchased new. I was noticing slight variances in sound that I saw as break in for about 5 days, maybe working 2-3 hrs per day max. They seemed to have settled in at the 5 day mark. These differences were very slight, but noticeable to me.

Congrats on the purchase. I love mine. Believe it or not, they get even better with a sub. I just got the T10 about 3-4 months ago, and I have the S8's set for HP at 100hz, and the T10 LP set to around 120hz. I set the sub a bit higher as the slope roll off seemed to create a hole around 90hz, so I opened up the sub to fill that in a bit.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by roknrex on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:05 am
Thank you Matt, also helpful about the information about the sub. I was hoping PreSonus had an official recommendation too. I also have a pair of Avantone mixcubes and they have a process for about 10 hours of break in. I love my new S8s, miles above my JBLs.

Respectfully,

Rex
by matthewgorman on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:48 am
I thought when I originally got them, it would be the swan song for my Yamahas (HS50's), but that hasn't been the case. I have some hearing loss around 2k, and the Yammy's really help to expose that to me. The Sceptres handle that area very well, so its harder for me to hear a problem in that range.

When you add the sub, and take that low end responsibility away from the S8's, they get a bit more detail, which is surprising considering the detail they handle out of the box.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by roknrex on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:40 pm
Thanks Matt,

I will be getting the sub for sure, also helpful that you listed your gear. I play all my instruments these days, acoustic drums, bass, guitars, keys and vox. I have a Presonus studiolive 32.4.2AI mixer, two UA apollo 8, UA 4-710d mic pre, Radial duplex JDI DI box and a lot of great mic's what was missing was the great monitors. Also gave Protools the boot after 15 years and just switched to Presonus Studio One v3 Pro and I can still use all my plugin from UA, Waves, sample tank, etc.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1