Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have an ABC score with 2 lines of lyrics in the A section (the A repeats) and a 3rd line of lyrics in the C section, which is identical to A except for the lyrics. I'd like to move the lyrics from C to A using cut/paste. Is there any way to do that without re-typing them?

Also, is there any way to change the order of lyric lines? e.g. I have 3 verses, and I want to exchange the second and third verses so the third verse appears on the second line.
by alainleblond1 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:06 pm
Go to user guide p. 11.24... .25, .26.

You may find what you need

Mac Pro (early 2009) 5.1
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, 32 Go
Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan

Notion6, Studio One 3, DP 8,
Finale 2012, Dorico v. 1.0.2
VSL, SE Complete Bundle, Vi Pro, MIRx
Roland A-88 keyboard
by jerrysilver on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:39 pm
The user guide explains how to add multiple verses but doesn't answer my questions:

1. How do I move the lyrics from the first verse of section C to the 3rd verse of section A?
2. How do swap verse 2 and verse 3?

Thanks,

Jerry
by jerrysilver on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:48 pm
Bump.

Any idea if working with lyrics is any easier in Notion 6?
by klaaskloppenburg on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:29 am
Manual 11.24 (Notion 6) says:

Select lyrics
You can select all lyrics by highlighting a staff or selecting a region, then right click and go to Select Special > Select Lyrics .
You can then copy or cut the lyrics and paste them into another staff using Paste or Ctrl/Cmd + V .

NOTE: there's a bug here: when you use normal ctr+v, it pastes the copied lyrics right under rests from count 1 of the bar/measure where I paste it, and not underneath the selected word, which starts at the second half of count 2. The rest of the line is pasted correctly nonetheless.

NOTE 2: solution: you have to you the 'paste special' option, and then select which voice/staff you want to paste in.

BTW: just selecting the lyrics with Select Special doesn't copy them, which I keep forgetting. Would be nice if this was done automatically.

Soooo, to sum it up: you have to highlight the bars with lyrics you whish to copy, then right click and go to Select Special > Select Lyrics . Then ctr+c / ctrl+x them. Then right click and go to Paste Special > Paste into Voice x.

A bit of a PITA, if you ask me.
by jerrysilver on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:27 pm
Sorry, doesn't solve my problem.

When I select the lyrics in section C and paste them in section A, they overwrite the 1st line of lyrics that already exist in section A.

I want to add a third line of lyrics to section A, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that other than by retyping them.

Similarly, when I Select Special->Select Lyrics, all lines of lyrics are selected. I can't specify that I want only the first or second line.
by johnnewberry on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:46 pm
jerrysilver wroteSorry, doesn't solve my problem.

When I select the lyrics in section C and paste them in section A, they overwrite the 1st line of lyrics that already exist in section A.

I want to add a third line of lyrics to section A, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that other than by retyping them.

Similarly, when I Select Special->Select Lyrics, all lines of lyrics are selected. I can't specify that I want only the first or second line.

Hi Jerry. I'm not sure if I understand the issue you're having or if my example will help.
I have a couple of questions.
• To paste lyrics to a verse 3, are you using the Notion menu Edit>Paste Lyrics>Verse 3 ?
• Are you using an external text creation and editing software for lyrics ?

I suggest that you type what you need in an text editing software. Select and copy the text to the computer clipboard. Then in Notion put the cursor where you want the "Verse" and using the menu Edit>Paste Lyrics>Verse 3.

This should work for you. It works for me.
paste lyrics into verse 3.JPG

IMO there's no doubt unexplained undocumented ways of working with the new Notion-6 lyrics and verse placement editing features.
 At this point in time, testing and finding out the working limits and some solutions is an adventure that should be made separate from a new music project.
Exploring and learning separately from projects obviously will minimize frustrations.

I hope you find a way to do what you need.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by jerrysilver on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:57 pm
Ok, my bad I guess. I totally missed the new Paste Lyrics command, and it does work pretty well when pasting from an external source. Kudos to Presonus for adding this function.

A few limitations still need to be addressed, however:

1. I wasn't able to paste from one section of the score to another section, which was what I was asking about in the original post. I also wasn't able to copy to an external program (e.g. Notepad). Steps I followed: Select measures, Select Special -> Lyrics, Copy, Paste Lyrics or Paste into Notepad. The Paste was simply ignored in both cases.
  2. Pasting observes hyphens and underscores but doesn't observe ties and rests. You can use underscores to make a word extend across a tie but the behavior is unpredictable. You may have to resort to pasting in phrases incrementally between those elements.
  3. Although you can paste a specific verse, you can't select a specific verse. So while the Paste Lyrics function is helpful when you're simply adding lyrics, it's not so useful for editing (e.g. changing the order of verses, etc.). Make sure your lyrics and corresponding notes are finalized before adding lyrics to the score.

So thanks to @klaaskloppenburg and @johnnewberry for pointing out this new feature. It will save me time, even with the limitations.
by robertthompson1 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:33 am
Is there a way to copy the lyrics then paste into a text editor? (Mac Question)

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.
by stefanfrey on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:25 am
The paste lyrics command is great – but unfortunately the copying of lyrics seems broken in Notion 6 (Mac). I can not get any lyrics to find their way into the clipboard (highting measures, Menu: Select Special->Select Lyrics, Menu: Copy).
Anybody found a workaround?
by dankohlhaas on Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:30 am
So I have an iMac and have not had success in copying a partial verse and then trying to paste to a new location using anything except typing them into a text editor and then using the paste lyric command. During many attempts to use only Notion copy/paste alternatives provided, the app crashed. So there is a flaw in the code concerning the copy verse part and the paste verse part.
by robertthompson1 on Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:44 am
I’ve moved on to Dorico on my iPad Notion on iPad was buggy and inadequate for what I needed.
Very pleased with Dorico. :thumbup:

MacBook Pro 15 in.  OSX El Capitan
Ver 10.11.6 Notion 5 Logic 9 other DAW's as well.
by acequantum on Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:26 pm
dankohlhaas wroteSo I have an iMac and have not had success in copying a partial verse and then trying to paste to a new location using anything except typing them into a text editor and then using the paste lyric command. During many attempts to use only Notion copy/paste alternatives provided, the app crashed. So there is a flaw in the code concerning the copy verse part and the paste verse part.

Notion lyrics are not really intuitive. The only way to use the Paste Verse function is to paste text from an external source. You cannot copy lyrics already entered into notion into other verses.

You can however copy already created verses from one section to another or from one staff to another. What I mean is, if you have three versus on measure 1 through 5 on a particular, each verse below the other, if you select those measures you can then use Select Special to Select Lyrics. All of the verses will highlight orange.

Then use Edit > Copy to copy the lyrics. Click at the spot where you want to place these lyrics either in a new staff or some other location on the same staff. Use Edit > Paste. That will paste all of the versus you had selected and copied to the new location.

Don't use Paste Lyrics Verse X in this case. That is only for using external copied sources. So if you had lyrics in a text editor, you could copy those and then paste them into a specific verse.

That's the thing to wrap one's head around. Coping lyrics WITHIN notion copies all of the highlighted lyrics and the internal verse identifiers so when you use generic paste, all of that information is pasted at once at the location you choose. This information cannot be pasted into a verse of your choosing - it pastes into whatever verses were copied.

If the meter or syncopation of the copied NOTION lyrics doesn't match the new paste to location, there might be problems - maybe even crashing.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1