10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Why are none or only a few automation parameters for my third party VST's not availble for Control Links Macro Buttons?
The parameters are availble for the Macro knobs and X/Y pads. So why not for the Buttons?
Is this a Studio One issue?

How can this be fixed please. mentioned buttons are for no use if no parameters is availble for them.

Anyone knows about this?

Motherboard: Intel DH77KC
CPU: Intel I7 3770, 3,4 GHz, Quad core - Hyperthreading
SSD: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO series
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
DAW: Studio One 2 and 3 Professionel - 64 bit
Controller: Novation SL-MKII - Automap
Soundcard/ Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
All is Fully updated including BIOS and firmware.
by niles on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:09 pm
I don't understand this either. Some VST's and the stock inserts are able to assign their "switches" to the buttons while others don't. I suspect it has something to do with the definition of a parameter within the VST.

Personally I think it would be cool to have to option to also be able to assign a knob to a button with a transformation setting (e.g. min max) because then one could easily transform a continuous parameter to a switch.

A FR is here: Assign VST Knob to Macro Button.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by LBH on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:41 pm
Hi Niles,

Thanks for your respons.

I'm glad you actually verify the issue.

I guess the issue is about the VST's and some informations in the parameters. But i'm not sure.

The odd thing is, that there is no trouble assigning a button on my controller to a switch or any other parameter if i assign using the Control Link display.

So it should be possible using the Control Link Macros buttons too, just like it's possible to use the macro buttons, and X/Y pads. Even all parameters can be controlled by the knobs and pads.

The only problem i can see is that the parameters is'nt availble for the macro buttons. Not even switches and other parameters that is working like buttons. The parameters should be availble, as it's the only way all macro controls can be used as individual controls, as i see it.

I'm not sure i understand your solution. I don't think it take your contollers assigned controls in consideration. After all your controllers knobs will act like knobs even if the macros get changed to buttons and so on. And for instance making a macro button control a macro knob will reduce the availble controls.

Perhaps a solution could be if Presonus just could bypass if there are something in the VST's that's causing this. for instance sending a signal for the macro buttons, that they are actually knobs.

Or perhaps it would be even easier and best to change the macro buttons to macro knobs so there is 16 macro knobs. This way all automation parameters should be availble for all 16 macro knobs and the X/Y pads.
A knob can work like a button when it's controled by a controler button and so on. So the 16 macro knobs shall just repond to the way the controlers assigned control is configured to work.

That's in a way is like your idea, but it keep all 16 controls availble for 16 different tasks.
In the mapping you can assign any type of control to any macro knob. It don't have to be knobs.

Just some thoughts. The issue needs to be fixed.

by niles on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:41 am
LBH wroteThe only problem i can see is that the parameters is'nt availble for the macro buttons. Not even switches and other parameters that is working like buttons. The parameters should be availble, as it's the only way all macro controls can be used as individual controls, as i see it.
Yes, that's my request. Just expose all VST parameters to the buttons and knobs regardless their function or type. This way the user can decide.

LBH wroteI'm not sure i understand your solution. I don't think it take your contollers assigned controls in consideration.
Maybe the word continuous as in continuous controller is causing confusion here ;)
However I'm not talking about an external controller. The request is solely about VST parameters and Macro buttons

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by LBH on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:20 am
Thanks Niles. I believe we both wan't the same.

First of all it would be good if the parameters was availble for the current setup with buttons. Somehow the Transmit value also has to work.

But a workaround is better than a none working function.
If the workaround can work even better than the original including Transmit Value, then that would be the best.

I wan't control link to work. Also together with my hardware controller.
I'll check your request if that's it. I understand it is then.

Best.

by LBH on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:11 am
BTW do you have troubles using normal MIDI learn in Studio One?
(If not using Control Link.)

Best

by LBH on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:38 am
Perhaps i should elaborate, that i with normal MIDI learn mean using the dialog boxes and alike on the VST's.
So i mean without using the Linking Display and the Macro controls in Studio One.

Can anyone use the VST's dialog boxes and alike for MIDI learn?

by niles on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:51 am
No problem with traditional MIDI learn, but there is some fundamental behavior which is good to be aware of when learning External Device parameters.

From the moment you mapped your external device’s controls to Studio One’s external device, all the MIDI data received from those controls will be routed directly to the Control Link (Automation) system. So the continuous controller (CC) MIDI data will not reach the Instrument tracks.

There are several ways to set up your external device and Studio One so you can use the same External Device for MIDI and automation. A few examples are here: Control Automation and MIDI with one device.

by LBH on Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:24 am
Thanks a lot Niles. Very helpful.

I suspected my "normal" MIDI learn issue could have somthing to do with if the the controls where mapped for control link or not.

And thanks for the link. I will have a look at it.

Then there only are the issues with the missing parameters for the control link macro buttons.

Cheers

by LBH on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:53 pm
Hi Niles.

Apparantly it's not possible to get a precise answer to the missing parameters for control links macro buttons.
But some technical supports are looking into it. That's all i have been promised.

One answer i have been given is that only certain parameters that use button behavior is availble for the macro buttons. But no answer to why even those parameters is missing in some applications.
Both Presonus and a third party vendor say they for now can't rule out it has to do with there application. That's why they'll look into it.

Hope there come a solution some day.

Cheers and thanks again for your help.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1