Discuss Monitor Station V2 and Monitor Station (Legacy)
Central Station and Central Station Plus
MicroStation BT
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm troubleshooting a studio noise problem, and I've found that the outputs of my Monitor Station are not balanced. The TRS ring and sleeve are always at 0V. The tip signal is working properly. This is the same across all outputs.
Has anyone else had this issue or know a solution?
I would guess it is a power supply fault, but without a circuit diagram it's hard work to troubleshoot further. Is a circuit diagram available for this?
Thanks!
by SwitchBack on Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:46 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

This does not need to be a fault. All balanced outputs are balanced for impedance on the hot and cold output terminals. An active cold terminal (with an inverted signal for differential signaling) is optional and many balanced outputs don't have it.

Wiki has an article on balanced audio, explaining impedance balanced connections and the differences with a differential signaling connection.
by alistairmeachin on Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:28 pm
Hi Switchback
Thanks for your reply - that's a good point.
Do you happen to know if Monitor Station outputs are just impedance balanced rather than using differential signalling?
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:52 pm
No. The specs don't even give a maximum output level, which would have given us a clue: +18dBu outputs tend to be single-ended where +24dBu outputs tend to be differential mode.

Looks like a question for customer support :)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1