Headphone Monitoring HP60, HP4 and HP2
Headphones including Eris HD10BT, HD9, HD7 and others found in the bundles can be discussed here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm am building a mobile recording rig for my band. The core hardware is: Audiobox 1818 VSL (audio interface), HP60 and iPad running Auria on a recent-model iPad Pro. In addition we are moving to IEMs in an attempt to keep the ambient noise down in our practice environment.
At the moment all input is jacked directly in to the 8 inputs at the front of the audio interface.
I believe I have the 'basic' connection working so that everyone can hear the main mix: I route the output from the interface rear outputs 1&2 to HP60 Input A.
I would like to enable the 'more me' feature on the HP60. I understand the concept of 'more me' and I know that each headphone line on the HP60 has an input jack on the rear to accept an 'external stereo input.' My question is: from where do I get the signal to send to the headphone 'external input' jacks at the rear of the HP60?
The rear of the audio interface has 8 outputs. The documentations informs that outputs 1, 2 and 7, 8 correspond to the main left and right channels and I've connected outputs 1 & 2 as I stated earlier, to the HP60. That leaves outputs 3 - 8 which, I believe, correspond to the inputs 1 - 6 (3 stereo pairs) on the audio interface. But there are 8 inputs on the Audiobox 1818 VSL so..what gives?

Anyway, are these outputs, 3 - 8 on the back of the Audiobox 1818 VSL to be the source for the 'more me' inputs on the HP60?
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:07 pm
Hi, and welcome to this forum :)

Out of curiosity: where/when did you get your AudioBox and HP60? I'm asking because I see a lot of 'new user' question about 'old' gear on the forum these days. Almost as if a lot of first users are selling off their gear to trade up. Or?

Anyway, for 6 'more me' headphone mixes you need a stereo shared mix (which you have) and then route 6 mono 'me' signals from the 1818 to the HP60 channels. The 1818 is able to provide those outputs because for all outputs it has mixers inside. With those mixers you can create a custom mix for each output, from the interface inputs and computer returns. You need the VSL Software to create those mixes.

And that's where 'old gear' comes in, because the VSL Software isn't supported for new operating systems. With your old gear you also need an old computer. :|
by joezingarelli1 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:31 pm
Thank you for your reply. I purchased the Presonus hardware years ago, and second-hand at that. I am just now getting around to trying to make serious use of it. I am not an experienced recordist and I am disheartened to read that I MUST have the (discontinued and long gone VSL) software to create submixes.
I vaguely grasp the concept of a submix - something like organizing sound from one or more channels into a new virtual channel? - and if so, Auria provides the ability to output to 'subgroups' and 'bus' lines. I don't yet know what a 'bus' is in the context of Auria.

The audiobox 1818 functions fine in other respects. Would it not possible to create submixes in Auria and route them to the outputs on the back of the Audiobox?

Please forgive me if my ignorance is on display.
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:38 pm
No worries :)

Here you find the software and manuals for the 1818. Read up on the VSL Software to learn what it can do.

And here is a knowledge base article about the discontinuation of support for VSL. This article and the related articles in the sidebar will explain your options with the 1818. :)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1