Headphone Monitoring HP60, HP4 and HP2
Headphones including Eris HD10BT, HD9, HD7 and others found in the bundles can be discussed here
17 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi. I’m having a hard time getting output from a RM32AI to a HP60 phones amp. I’ve read on posts here about certain info on modifying cables but I’m still confused. Any info is appreciated!

A.C. Farley

Studio One 2 Pro 5x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 15". OS X Catalina 10.15
RM32AI and HP60.
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:24 pm
Assuming that you want to use 12 of your Aux outputs for 6 stereo headphone mixes you want 6 Y-cables 2xXLR female to TRS jack
These cables should have the XLR hot pins go to TRS tip and ring respectively, and leave the XLR cold pins open.

Note that this cable is a different from a TRS to 2x XLR female splitter cable where TRS tip goes to both XLR hot pins and TRS ring goes to both XLR cold pins.
by acfarley on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:02 pm
Thanks! Will these cables still need the modifications to the trs end?

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by acfarley on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:44 pm
Thanks for replying and helping me. Is there a part number or some clear way for me to know what what cables to get that will work? And if I’ll need to modify them? I’m still so confused. If there’s any clarity that anyone can bring to this, please do. I was hoping to avoid this kind of thing by using all PreSonus gear. It’s not anyone’s fault, I know that sometimes things are counter-intuitive. I just hope to get clear on what it takes to get the HP60 working with the RM32AI.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by acfarley on Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:53 pm
Would these cables be good for this use?
https://www.amazon.com/DISINO-Y-Splitte ... 02208&th=1

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:00 pm
Yes, looks good :)
by acfarley on Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:49 pm

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by acfarley on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:15 pm
The newer RM32 looks like it wouldn’t have this problem since it has a lot of 1/4 in conns. I wonder if one could just plug in the HP60 no hassles?

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:37 pm
That second cable might not be the right one.

As for mixers with 1/4” Aux outputs you would still need Y-cables (2x TS jack to 1x TRS jack) for stereo headphone mixes. Those cables are widely available though, so cheaper than the XLR variety :)
by acfarley on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:12 am
Okay. I think I’m getting clearer on this. Somebody can check me. [Please do] I think my confusion has been due to some cabling and adapters and conns that can be used in more than one configuration but still look all the same. In this case,.. It’s an [unbalanced] audio cable I’m after, not an instrument type [balanced] cable. Even though they can look the same, they are different. Here’s a link to what I think I need to buy to connect the RM32AI mixer output to the HP60 headphones amp inputs. It’s a unbalanced stereo audio cable, not a balanced instrument cable. [I feel like a dumb-ss. But if I’m learning anything then good and fine. Ha!]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172633128362

Also: The HP60 is more powerfully designed than a simple phones amp and comes with unexpected [only by me probably] intricacies. If I’m understanding correctly… even though there are main ‘Left in’ and ‘Right in’ 1’4 INs… by using a unbalanced ‘Y’ cable like this means it only needs to be plugged into the ‘Left in’ to deliver stereo. I’ll try this soon. It’s as if I’m journaling my experience. I hope it’s not too annoying.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:14 am
I don’t think that cable is a good one either. When searching for alternatives look for two things:
- the ‘direction’ of the cable desctiption. You want to go from two XLRs to one TRS jack, not the other way around.
- (color) coding of the XLRs, as one will be the left input and the other one the right input

‘Balanced’ means using three wires for one (mono) audio channel, vs. two wires for one audio channel (mono) or three wires for two audio channels (stereo). So it isn’t something particularly related to instruments. In fact instrument cables are unbalanced most of the time. And no, you can’t get stereo from a mono (two wires) cable unless you use two of them. From one cable you get mono in both ears at best.

Hope that helps :)
by acfarley on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:11 am
SwitchBack wroteSnip- And no, you can’t get stereo from a mono (two wires) cable unless you use two of them. From one cable you get mono in both ears at best.

Hope that helps :)

It does help. Thanks! So, I’m not crazy. The HP60 can only sum the signal from the RM32AI? I wonder then how to get stereo out to the HP60? I’m sure there’s a workaround.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am
The HP60 has a choice of inputs:
- Inputs A and B both have a left (or mono) and right balanced jack input. Inputs A and B go in stereo (or mono) to all 6 headphone outputs.
- Talkback is a mic input which goes in mono to all 6 headphone outputs
- Stereo External Inputs on all 6 headphone outputs allow individual stereo content on each headphone output.

As I wrote in my first reply I assumed that you wanted to use 12 of the RM32’s 16 Aux outputs for 6 stereo mixes to the 6 External Inputs on the HP60 for 6 individual stereo headphone mixes. That gives maximum flexibility, all from the RM32. If you can spare the Auxes that is. But there are other options too, less flexible yet using fewer Auxes.
by acfarley on Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:04 pm
Yeah I think I know what to do now. I’ll work it out to get stereo out after I have at least gotten the summed mono all set. I was just beginning work on this in 2017 when a heart surgery left me beat down for a long while, then covid closed my little studio. I’m setting up at my house now and picking up where I left off. Feeling somewhat improved enough.

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:40 pm
Sounds like a tough ride for the past years. Great that you've started to pick up the pieces. Can be therapeutic trying to get this working the way you want it :)

As a suggestion you can start with one of those 2xXLR-to-TRS cables, from two RM32 Aux outputs to Ext. In on one of the HP60's headphone amps for stereo on that headphone output. Or you can use two balanced 1xXLR-to-TRS cables, from two RM32 Auxes to Input A (left and right) for one stereo signal on all 6 HP60's headphone outputs. Enjoy!
by acfarley on Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:38 pm
SwitchBack wroteSounds like a tough ride for the past years. Great that you've started to pick up the pieces. Can be therapeutic trying to get this working the way you want it :)

As a suggestion you can start with one of those 2xXLR-to-TRS cables, from two RM32 Aux outputs to Ext. In on one of the HP60's headphone amps for stereo on that headphone output. Or you can use two balanced 1xXLR-to-TRS cables, from two RM32 Auxes to Input A (left and right) for one stereo signal on all 6 HP60's headphone outputs. Enjoy!

I like these ideas. Very nice, thanks!

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.
by acfarley on Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:24 pm
Well it’s working! I got some unbalanced (1)XLR to (1)TRS cables 1 each for R and L so no Y cables. I’ll try the same thing for the 1-6 phones too, only to get stereo, those will need Y cables. I think. I’ll connect them as mono first and then go from there. A lot of my confusion is just exactly that… I’m going to have to be happy if it works, even if I don’t understand how. Ha!

A.C. Farley

RM32AI and HP60.

17 posts
Page 1 of 1