Discuss Sceptre S6 and S8 here
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I’ve been using my trusted Yamaha hs80’s since 2012 then all of sudden one the monitors decided to go bad. So I decided it’s time for new monitors. I looked at several different ones, then a buddy told me to get the sceptres. I was like “what are scepters and who makes them?”. He told me that Presonus makes the sceptre. I said “bro I’m not about to get any crap monitors from Presonus”. But he kept insisting that I try them out. He’s never steered me wrong in the past but this time I was quite sure he was wrong about this one. So I went against my better judgement purchased a set of the scepter 8’s and for good measure I picked up the T10 sub as well. So today 2-8-19, I got them all hooked up and loaded a mix and I listened. Then I said to myself “I FU@&!NK KNEW IT” these monitors sound like COMPLETE TRASH!! Now I’m sitting here pissed because I should’ve listened to my gut instinct. I’m pissed at my buddy for recommending this garbage. I’m listening to the mix that’s full of artifacts and starring at these monitors. I Said out loud “WHO EVEN DESIGNS A MONITOR WITH A FREAKIN HORN TWEETER BLOCKING THE WOOFER ANYWAYS!!” Now I have to pack everything back in the boxes and take them back. I’m really boiling at this point that I slapped my Mac keyboard which incidentally engages the solo button in my mix. So now the only thing I’m hearing is the hi hat track. As I’m listening to the hi hats I start to hear something different. I’m confused at this point so I solo each channel one at time. Then the light goes off...”That’s not artifacts, those are details I’d never before” OMG 😮!! Even at low levels I’m hearing everything clearly as never before. It’s like the windows of the studio in heaven finally opened. It all made sense now. These monitors are flat and very accurate. It’s like a dream listening to the Sceptre 8’s. The Yamahas had been masking all the subtle details of my mixes for years. I’m still in disbelief as I write this. I made some adjustments to my mix and nothing but Gold. I swear these have to be the Monitors that God uses to mix the heavenly choir!! Needless to say that my Sceptres aren’t leaving. The T10 sub woofer is the icing on the cake. I called my buddy with the great news and all he says is “Bro I told you”. Go figure.
by Bbd on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 pm
Edited

I have the Sceptre 6's and I love them. They are a great monitor speaker and I have worked professionally in studios with other monitors.

Edited
At first I thought you had a technical issue!
Glad it worked out!
😊

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by sirmonkey on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:09 pm
He hee! Bbd probably read 2/3 of your comment. I almost stopped, thinking "I get the gist", and I was sort of hoping that you describing an unlucky, uncommon fluke/lemon.
What a turn-around in the story! I had only read good things about the entire monitor line by Presonus. So, I will keep the Sceptre's on my dream list for the future!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Bbd on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:40 am
You were correct sirmonkey!
So glad this worked out!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by rodneyholt on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:27 am
Bbd wroteEdited

I have the Sceptre 6's and I love them. They are a great monitor speaker and I have worked professionally in studios with other monitors.

Edited
At first I thought you had a technical issue!
Glad it worked out!
😊

YES!! They are awesome.
by rodneyholt on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:43 am
sirmonkey wroteHe hee! Bbd probably read 2/3 of your comment. I almost stopped, thinking "I get the gist", and I was sort of hoping that you describing an unlucky, uncommon fluke/lemon.
What a turn-around in the story! I had only read good things about the entire monitor line by Presonus. So, I will keep the Sceptre's on my dream list for the future!

You won't regret it. They are truly remarkable. Ive heard Adams, Genelic, Focal, Barefoot, and the Sceptres are right up there with them and not in a small way. The Sceptres are not just some project studio monitors. They are suited for commercial facilities.
by matthewgorman on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:18 pm
I have the 8's, the 6's, and a T10. I actually prefer the 6's. I also use the HS50's as my B pair, and its a great compliment. Sometimes the Sceptres are too good, especially in the mids. Flipping to the HS50's tells me right where the issues are.

But yeah, its almost embarrasing to listen to old mixes for the first time on these. Congrats.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by rodneyholt on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:35 pm
matthewgorman wroteI have the 8's, the 6's, and a T10. I actually prefer the 6's. I also use the HS50's as my B pair, and its a great compliment. Sometimes the Sceptres are too good, especially in the mids. Flipping to the HS50's tells me right where the issues are.

But yeah, its almost embarrasing to listen to old mixes for the first time on these. Congrats.

That was exactly my issue. I listened to my old mix and thought the Sceptres sounded terrible but in reality it was my mix that was terrible. The Sceptres revealed every flaw.
by shanabit on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm
rodneyholt wroteThat was exactly my issue. I listened to my old mix and thought the Sceptres sounded terrible but in reality it was my mix that was terrible. The Sceptres revealed every flaw.

I had the SAME response with my S6 here so I loaded up a track that I knew sounded great (Darren Rahn, What cha gonna do for me) with the mix and bam, I knew I was hearing the problems in my mixes and the speakers were very accurate

A great mix sounds great on these. A bad one really hurts the ears IMO :thumbup:

If you find the horn is poking your ear a little too much set the HF to -1.5

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013

9 posts
Page 1 of 1