Discuss Sceptre S6 and S8 here
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
:idea: After calming down from my horrible experience with 2 out of 3 new units arriving with major QC faults - a bad crackling sub & one very shrill and nasally sounding S8 - I decided to take a step outside of the box & try to analyze why 2 Sceptre S8's would sound so different provided both show no evidence of visual or internal defects. Since the Sceptres have a Lynx system inside I thought their has to be some way to reset the DSP or at least run some type of system diagnostics. So I tried powering on the crippled Sceptre S8 with different combinations of DSP buttons held. And BOOM that was the key. It seems either holding the 1st two consecutive buttons makes the speaker boot in a shrill nasally sounding mode if you will. Powering on with the last two consecutive DSP buttons held results in a balanced sounding "normal" mode. Now, powering on with other DSP button(s) combinations also seems to do something too, but not audibly. With every DSP button combination - including the audible combos - the LEDs light up in different orientations. If my assumptions are correct, these different LED orientations provide system feedback/info. What exactly they are saying is cryptic, but the important thing is I was able to get my shrill nasally speaker to sound exactly like the other pleasant & balanced sounding speaker.

This leaves me with one major gripe. Why on earth would something like this not be explained in the user manual? This QC error nearly cost PreSonus a customer for life. I've had other problems with their gear in the past & simply was fed up. This also makes me wonder how many people have returned their Sceptres simply because they sounded awful out of the box because someone forgot to check what "mode" the speaker was leaving the factory. I am going to contact tech support about this -technician's Easter egg- for lack of a better term and report back here once I have confirmed what the heck exactly I stumbled upon.
by shanabit on Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:54 pm
Im wondering if your combination of the : "Powering on with the last two consecutive DSP buttons held" would get RID of the HISS these things have if I turn up the volume passed 9 o'clock?
Turn yours up and see if they are hissy if you would

I was two seconds from sending mine back. I had to keep the volume all the way down on them.

THanks

EDIT:]
I tried it here, no change at all

S1 Pro 3.5.2, MR816X, OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
2010 MacPro Dual 2.4 quad,14 GB Ram
by mtulbert on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 am
I am so thankful that I found your post. I had one of mine change to the nasally shrill sound and thought that I had blown something. I had submitted a ticket and was very close to sending to Presonus for repair when I tried your suggestion and poof!!! back to normal.

If you are ever in the DFW area look me up and let me buy you a beer.

Many thanks again
Mark T.
by clayeccles on Mon May 15, 2017 10:13 am
"a shrill nasally sounding mode" - Glad I found your posts. I use Studio One 3 with S8's. When my S8's go into "shrill" mode they both do it. I am going to STOP turning them off from a power bar. That seems to mess-up the DSP. Your solution worked for me this morning. Thank you. The issue today was not "shrill" mode. One of my S8's was distorting badly. I tried rebooting the speaker and a few other things but the distortion remained. I used your "hold down two buttons" reboot trick and it worked ! At that point, my other S8 (the one that was not distorting) sounded "shrill". I did the reboot trick on it and that fixed it ! I think we could use a comment here from Presonus .

I have noticed the shrill sound several times over the past 4 months. Since both monitors were doing it, I thought it was: My EARS having a bad day OR some EQ problem with my DAW. I believe that S8's shouldn't be powered up or down with a power bar switch.
by babulmukherjee on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 pm
Goodness gracious... I can't believe this worked. I'm sooooooooo happy with my S8's now! :D

I've already have mine replaced/repaired once. Was not looking forward to the hassle and expense of going through that again.

Thank you krismiller!

5 posts
Page 1 of 1