Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey there!

I just ordered the ERIS E5 monitors. One of the things I liked about them was that they had XLR and TRS inputs.

I have two interfaces:
- One is a MOTU with XLR main outputs.
- One is a M-Audio with TRS main outputs.

My question:
Can I have both of these interfaces plugged into the Eris E5 monitors at the same using TRS for one and XLR for the other? I typically use my M-Audio for non-recording things (listening to music, games, etc), and I use my MOTU for recording. I'd prefer not to have to swap cables around all the time, but I don't want to damage any equipment so I thought I'd ask first.

Thank you.
by SwitchBack on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:09 pm
From one of the reviews:
“When both balanced connections are in use, the TRS input will supersede the XLR input. The RCA input is summed into the signal path.”

So when you use the TRS input you can keep the XLR input connected, but it won’t pass its signal to the speaker.
by davidtessier2 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:53 am
SwitchBack wroteFrom one of the reviews:
“When both balanced connections are in use, the TRS input will supersede the XLR input. The RCA input is summed into the signal path.”

So when you use the TRS input you can keep the XLR input connected, but it won’t pass its signal to the speaker.

Is there any risk of hardware damage to the speakers or interface if I use RCA and XLR together?
by SwitchBack on Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am
The wording in the review suggests that it should be fine. If the inputs are designed the way I expect them to be (current feed into a ground level opamp input) it should be fine too. But don’t take my word for it :)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1