Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
20 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all:

I have an issue that is driving me batty. I've owned quite a few active studio monitors and bookshelf speakers, including models from Edifier, Swans, JBL, Dayton Audio, Kanto, and now Presonus.

In each case, I've had speaker models that were very quiet, or in worst case scenarios, there may have been a faint hiss coming from the tweeters (at a lower level) when nothing was playing, and then only when you bring your hear close to the speaker(s).

However, with the pair of E5 XT's that I just purchased several weeks ago, the level of hiss, hum, and buzzing is enough for anyone to take notice - even just sitting back where I normally listen to them at, which is 3-4 feet away. I have my Eris speakers set up as a desktop scenario by my desktop PC, situated on either side of my 27" monitor. Initially, when I first heard the noises coming from the speakers, I experimented with a variety of placement options, to include plugging them into different outlets - but all to no avail.

Then I read on various forums (suggestions actually) that it may be best if I purchased an AC line conditioner and just plug the speakers into that. Well, I purchased a nice Furman line conditioner, plugged the speakers into that - and nothing had changed. Then I even purchased a plug-in iFI AC line cleaner that I inserted right by the wall outlet - still no change. This makes me believe that this issue may be one that is prevalent with Presonus speakers (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).

I have an iFi ZenDAC running my E5 XT's, with higher end audiophile cables. I have Audioquest upgraded USB cables running to my PC. I've even replaced the AC cords running from both Presonus speakers with better Audioquest 10 gauge models - still all to no avail. The constant low level hum, hiss, and in particular, a buzz sound is enough to take notice when you are not listening to music. It should also be noted that I am "not" using any balanced audio gear, so my connections between the DAC and the speakers are with audiophile grade RCA cables.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I believe I've tried just about everything - and purchasing the line conditioners (with no improvement at all) were eye openers to say the least. As I mentioned, this makes me think it's the speakers themselves.

Thanks in advance for any tips or comments you may have...

Ben
by SwitchBack on Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:16 pm
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

One thing I can think of is to turn up the DAC's output level and to turn down the input gain on the monitors. That will reduce the effects of cable noise.

If that doesn't help then try (passive) DI's with ground lift between the DAC and the monitors. That will break ground loops and isolate the DAC's ground plane from the monitor's (should the power supplies and mains filters cause those planes to drift).

See if it helps :)
by berndherrmann1 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:02 pm
Remember, I am using RCA cables (not balanced XLR or TRS cables). Because of this - and in looking over various passive DI's - I don't see any of those DI's sporting RCA cable inputs/outputs.

Thanks,

Ben
by SwitchBack on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:28 pm
Here's one from Radial. Google "DI-box RCA" and you'll find more.
by berndherrmann1 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:21 am
Interesting - first off, I spend $400 for an AC line conditioner (for $300 a pair of active speakers) that didn't do the trick noise-wise. Now, another $170 USD - again for a $300 pair of speakers. This should not have to be the case with the Presonus line of speakers.

As I mentioned in my OP, no other speaker brand has given me this issue with hum and buzzing (using RCA cables) as the Presonus has done. To have to spend all of this money just to "try" to get the noise abated, almost seems like a futile effort. It's almost to the point where although I thoroughly enjoy the audio output from my E5 XT's, the additional outlay of funds to fix scenarios absent from other brands, makes the original purchase of these Presonus speakers seemingly not worth the effort. I may have to consider just selling these Eris E5 XT's and go back to using one of the other brands mentioned in my OP, which is unfortunate really.

I've read in other forums and product reviews of various Presonus speakers, that this is an ongoing issue and it shouldn't be.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions...now I have some thinking to do.

Ben
by Bbd on Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:39 am
You really should be using balanced input/outputs to connect your speakers to your audio device.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:58 am
berndherrmann1 wroteInteresting - first off, I spend $400 for an AC line conditioner (for $300 a pair of active speakers) that didn't do the trick noise-wise. Now, another $170 USD - again for a $300 pair of speakers. This should not have to be the case with the Presonus line of speakers.

As I mentioned in my OP, no other speaker brand has given me this issue with hum and buzzing (using RCA cables) as the Presonus has done. To have to spend all of this money just to "try" to get the noise abated, almost seems like a futile effort. It's almost to the point where although I thoroughly enjoy the audio output from my E5 XT's, the additional outlay of funds to fix scenarios absent from other brands, makes the original purchase of these Presonus speakers seemingly not worth the effort. I may have to consider just selling these Eris E5 XT's and go back to using one of the other brands mentioned in my OP, which is unfortunate really.

I've read in other forums and product reviews of various Presonus speakers, that this is an ongoing issue and it shouldn't be.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions...now I have some thinking to do.

Ben

When having issues the trick is to not spend money on trying out what works to fix it. The line conditioner didn’t fix it, so return it. Turning up the DAC and turning down the speaker gain doesn’t cost a thing. Checking out if a DI fixes your issue can be done ‘for free’ as well. And not all DI’s cost $170.
by berndherrmann1 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:58 am
Have now tried everything, including all of the recommendations here - however, the issue is still there. I ordered the recommendation by one of the folks replying for a passive DI (see link below) and some XLR cables, and have returned the line conditioner. This particular $50 passive DI comes highly recommended on several audiophile forums, so why not give it a try. I've read quite a few comments about the audio quality, noise levels, etc., being much better with balanced cables attached to the Presonus speakers. So now I can at least convert my unbalanced audio signal into a balanced one.

https://www.audiopile.net/DBRC-2A#tab-1

Will see what happens...but again, none of these issues were present with other brand powered speakers. So far I've used Kanto's, Audio Engine, Edifier, and Swans and there were no issues with noise, hum, or hiss with the same setup I'm currently using. I'm surmising that the Presonus speakers far more susceptible to RFI noise when using the unbalanced RCA cables.
by SwitchBack on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 pm
Yes, it’s a thing. I believe most of the PreSonus gear is designed with professional use in mind, meaning balanced connections and line levels (+4dBu). IMHO they should have omitted the RCA inputs completely. Maybe handy in a pickle but consumer audio levels (-10dBu) are too different from pro audio levels for a good marriage, let alone the balanced-unbalanced thing :)
by Jemusic on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 pm
The Zen/Dac may not be the best way to go. It's a headphone amp. I would say there is an incompatibility between the Zen/Dac and the Eris monitors.

Consider a DAW audio interface which will have balanced TRS output connectors. (Even a small PreSonus one will do the job nicely) You will need to record into Studio One at some point either on two channels or more. Use a balanced TRS to TRS lead to connect from the outputs of an audio interface to the monitors. They will be silent then.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by petergeisheker on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:37 pm
Not sure if you were able to finally solve this problem, or if someone else needs to solve it, but I just purchased a pair of Erix X5 XT monitors and tried connecting them to my Apple m1 mac mini with a normal 3.5mm to rca cable and there was horrible hiss and hum. I tried connecting them to other computers I own and the same problem. I also tried a couple of other 3.55 mm computer to rca cables and nothing worked. Then, I tried connecting them to a focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface using normal balanced 1/4 patch cables and the problem was solved. Whisper quiet. No hum or static. So, it looks like to use these monitors you need to use 1/4" pro audio patch cables and an external audio interface. And since these are meant for home recording studios, that makes sense that they need to be set up with the right hardware.
by davidfawcett on Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:54 pm
I have the same situation going on with Eric’s E8 XT’s - I have tried both XLR TRS cables to my audio interface - same noise. I disconnected the cables completely and the speakers still make this super low hum and occasional static crackle sounds. I also have my Monitor between the speakers - I would assume this is the case for most home studio users. I moved the speakers a little further away from the monitor and the noise sound gets fainter but not gone completely- could this be some sort of shielding issue? Could it be Wi-Fi interference. Extremely frustrating when not playing something through the speakers - any suggestions?
by manuellai on Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:20 am
Hi

I own two Eris 8Xt that I bought at different places and times. The most recent one is perfectly quiet, while the oldest emits that humming noise.
As it was still covered by warranty I opened a ticket with PreSonus and they asked to send it to their authorized repair shop.
After several months, they returned the product back without repairing it,
They said that my monitor was second-hand ( Despite 2 years EU warranty was still valid) and hence not covered. They cannot even repair it out of warranty ( meaning by paying the repair shop) because they have a replacement part shortage. Of course, they also refused to replace the monitor.
I will stay away from their products in the future.
by tavvva on Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:16 pm
Hi, I believe it's a faulty design of the preamp boards. In my case the issue became more noticeable after 2 years of using the monitors (some capacitors probably changed their parameters). I tried to contact the support, but they're simply unable to help due to their ***** policy. They told me to contact the closest international dealer and since the dealer search on the presonus web pages retuned exactly 0 results for Europe I decided to open the boxes and search for the issue by myself. Well, after disconnecting the preamp board from the amp board, the noise disappeared completely. I asked the support for a replacement, but they are unable to provide customers with replacement boards and told me again to send the boxes for a service even when that really doesn't make sense. I'm pretty disappointed.
I'll try to replace the capacitors and op amps on the preamp board and maybe remove/disconnect the input paths for the unused input connectors. I could also try to check whether all the op amps have decoupling capacitors and add them if not.
by tavvva on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:23 pm
After some playing with the preamp board I believe it has a lot to do with the interconnection cable between the amp and the preamp board. It was too long and the noise character was changing when I was touching the cable. I shortened the cable and i's much better now. However, it doesn't seem to be caused by catching noise from inside. I think there's some kind of unwanted oscillation between the boards in which the cable length matters. I'll give it more tries in the future.
by davidfawcett on Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:44 pm
I think the noise is coming from the proximity to the Monitor - I finally got a new mixing desk and got external stands for the speakers so they are now about10 inches away from the monitor - the noise is gone. The Wireless router is also not on the desk, but I tried moving that previously with no effect. I believe these monitors have insufficient sheilding to be in close proximity to computer monitors - I thought LED based flatscreens would not be a problem, but at least in my case it seems they are.
Anyone else try this?
Cheers,
-David
by tavvva on Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:33 pm
One more thing. There are two grounds in the cable and connected on both boards, making a very short ground loop. I cut one of the grounds and it's even better.
by tavvva on Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:38 pm
davidfawcett wroteI think the noise is coming from the proximity to the Monitor - I finally got a new mixing desk and got external stands for the speakers so they are now about10 inches away from the monitor - the noise is gone. The Wireless router is also not on the desk, but I tried moving that previously with no effect. I believe these monitors have insufficient sheilding to be in close proximity to computer monitors - I thought LED based flatscreens would not be a problem, but at least in my case it seems they are.
Anyone else try this?
Cheers,
-David

Hi David. In my case there was a noise even when I had the box far from all possible sources. It seems it's a mixture of multiple problems.

However ... there's NO SHIELDING at all inside :)
by tavvva on Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:27 pm
Geeeez .... finally enjoying my favorite tracks without that beeping .... I have two other pairs of studio monitors from Alesis and M-Audio and none of them sound so good even when the M-Audio boxes were two times more expensive. It's such a pity there are such stupid flaws in the design. Fortunately they can be fixed.
by miketodd on Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:01 am
Just reading this thread as I'm having the same problem - hum and buzz.

I've got the speaker on the bench, and there's still hum.

Mains is absolutely clean, so it's unrelated to mains.

Looking at the signal at the "bass" speaker, there's hum/ripple and a lot of spikes at the HF end.

Looking at the +/- 12v to the I/O board there's no hum/ripple - but it's very spikey with about 10mV p2p. Not sure of frequency, but probably around 30kHz, but with lots of lower level noise between peaks.

Bringing my hand close to the ribbon cable increases the hum significantly, while gripping the cable and touching the signal ground eliminates it completely.

The level going into the amp board on both LF and HF inputs is very low (about 100mV p2p for decent volume), so the hum and noise represent a significant part of the signal.

If anyone is probing around (v carefully!), the ribbon link (from right to left looking et the board edge, components upwards):

pin1: LF signal
pin 2: signal GND
pin 3: HF signal
pin 4: 0v
pin 5: +12v
pin 6: -12v

I can't tell if signal and power grounds are linked at both ends.

However, ground loop may be possible - or the ribbon cable just needs screening.

Considering how well the boards are put together, especially the amp/PSU with lots of glue to stop physical resonances, it seems a major design failure to me.

Computers
Windows 10 Pro: i9 7900X CPU [20 core] @ 3.5GHz
64GByte - Strix Sound card - NVIDA GeForce GTX Ti
Asus Vivobook
Keyboards
Roland A-49 MIDI keyboard | Yamaha P-125 Stage Piano | Komplete Kontrol S88 keyboard
Kawai grand piano
Mixers/Interfaces
Presonus Audiobox iTwo | PreSonus FaderPort 8 | Presonus StudioLive III 32SC
Allen&Heath ZED-12X | Soundcraft Signature 22MTK | Soundcraft MPMi

20 posts
Page 1 of 1