Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey folks, trying to gauge a course of action with my speakers.

The active speaker has stopped working. The passive speaker works fine. I get a fine stereo signal when I plug headphones directly into the active speaker jack. There is nothing wrong with the signal arriving to the 4.5's and there is nothing wrong with the wire connecting the active and passive speaker.

It sure looks to me like some form of internal failure has occurred. The PreSonus support person agreed, saying the speakers should go in for service. As these speakers are four or five months off warranty, and as I did not purchase the speakers at the local service provider, I think I might be pooched. Trying to figure out whether to ditch these things or whether repair seems worthwhile.

Advice?
by nicolasfalcon on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:59 am
Hi,
This just happened to me!
What did you end up doing? did you find a solution for the active speaker problem?
Anybody?
I've just opened a ticket, hopefully, Presonus might help me out despite buying these on the US and them bringing them to Brazil

Desktop (PC)
Windows 10 (64 bits)
Intel Core Duo i5 7400 @ 3.00 GHz
Memory(RAM): 16 GB
HD: 931GB
Studio One Professional
Yamaha YPT 330
M-Audio keystation 61 MK3
Korg padKontrol
AudioBox 96
Presonus Eris E3.5
Shure SM7B
by francispowlesland on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:58 am
same

what to do ?

Thanks
by zachellerbrook on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:40 pm
Bump.

I have this problem too. It's the reason why I'm here. Anyone? Bueller?
by johnstephenraj on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:51 pm
One of mine blew off a day back, exactly a year and two months later. Strangely the tweeter works but not the two Mids. I had reached out to Presonus and Tom Lee (the store where I purchased). Got a response from Presonus which is basically a default troubleshooting instruction list. I tried everything there and still no respite.

I am waiting for their next step of action.

Previous to this, I owned a pair of E8s and totally confident of their quality. This could be a one off case and hope they would resolve it smoothly.

When I see many complain here, it kind of raises a suspicion though!

Let's see!
by johnstephenraj on Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:28 pm
Here's an update. When I reached out to Presonus, they literally washed their hands off since the warranty expired 2 months ago. They asked me to contact a local distributor but the distributor tossed me to the store where I purchased which is Tom Lee Vancouver. The guys at Tom lee, like Presonus, washed their hands off saying the warranty has expired and asked me to reach out to a local speaker repair man.

The repair guy has already quoted a C$50 deposit which will be deducted to the repair of the speaker. I'm sure they are going to charge 150-200 CAD and I will have to pay that fearing losing the C$50 deposit. In the end, I would have to pay 200 CAD for believing in Presonus and its quality.

What is the whole point of investing in a gear that does not even last a year?? Very disappointed with Presonus and especially their support, who act as though they do not have any part with the customer since the warranty is no longer valid.
by johnmcvicker on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:27 am
Mine is glitchy in this way. I originally had both working in stereo and then the right would slowly shut off with passive being only active output. Then after a switch off/on, it would come back in stereo. I've had it off a week now and come back to pretty much all L speaker only. I put some music through for an hour or so and eventually get both to work again. I feel a circuit of some sort is going bad for this series of speakers. Individual active speakers are probably my best choice. It's too bad as the 4.5" are pretty nice for the money. But seem to have this issue as seen above among the users. This just pushes people to shop around another brand if they want "more reliable hardware" for more than the warranty period.

EDIT.... *ugh!

Found my problem. Assumption - maybe a capacitor was going bad. Maybe something else. Decided to open up the active speaker and look inside. Surprise - seeds. Some mouse had gotten in there last winter and had some seeds I had stored elsewhere in my basement office and brought them into the back port of the speaker and inside. Cleaned it out, working well. Ugh!
by ericagamble on Wed May 25, 2022 9:47 pm
Same problem. Active speaker stopped working. Purchased these in 2019, and based on others in the thread here, Presonus may not help me either. I'll still try to contact their support. If Presonus won't help me, I will likely tell others not to purchase these speakers because of this same problem that several people are experiencing. Will update if there is a resolution.
by edwardferland on Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:42 am
I had this issue, I left my headphones plugged in overnight and the speakers still thought they were plugged in after I unplugged them. I just wiggled the jack around and blew in it and it works again.
by jesseshort2 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:02 pm
This topic has been one from 2019 to 2022, and so I'm having the same problem and NOTHING works. I've had the monitors for about 2 years, but for THIS reason (the left or the right failing, and granted, I'm no expert on this stuff, but having just spent a lot of time trying to "re-wire" the monitors with no luck, yet) I have been using HEADPHONES to mix ever since I sold my KRK monitors with which I never had an issue? I'm thinking of getting rid of my dinky PreSonus interface (I have a Motu 8 but it's more than I need) and writing off PreSonus altogether as a company that makes cheap products. However, that may be unfair, and so the alternative is to pay a repairperson for a source monitor that may be irreparable? I BARELY used them; I couldn't be too loud where I lived. My headphones work fine, the Pre-Sonus interface works fine with the headphones, and so maybe some jiggling of whatever the above suggestions intimate will help.
But since I have no patience, bye-bye PreSonus post-warranty crap monitors and I will not shut up about it.
by chrismacdonald1 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:42 pm
me too...my active speaker has been going on and off for a while and now stopped working altogether. based on what I see below, it is time for new speakers.
by janklier on Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:57 am
Just found this thread as I was facing the same issue. Had tried about everything I can think off.

In a last ditch effort opened the active speaker to see if I would find obvious damage or loose cable. I didn't. Everything seems to be glued down to spot 3rd party repairs I guess.

However, after re-assembling it without doing anything to the internals other than inspecting them thoroughly it started working again.

So my guess is that there is indeed a loose connection of some sort, and the act of moving things around resolved it. No guarantee that will work for anyone else. And I will definitely look for a replacement in due time as they may break again at an inopportune time.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1