Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I have just got a second-hand pair of Eris 4.5 speakers and wondered whether I would benefit from any kind of acoustic treatment. My room is small and my desk is situated against the corner wall and so the speakers are about 5-6 inches away from the wall on foam isolation pads on top of some stands. (see images)

I mainly use the speakers for listening to music and gaming although I do the occasional bit of music production too. I was thinking of getting something like this: http://amzn.eu/3SKSBNZ

I am also thinking of getting the Temblor T8 subwoofer to go with the speakers but I'm a little worried it might be too much and be too loud and bassy (although I suppose I can turn it down). I listen to a lot of electronic music like Autechre and Aphex Twin so I thought the lower frequencies would be catered for by the Temblor.

Thanks for any help anyone can give, I am new to this world and just want to have the best sound I can really.
by Bbd on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 am
Foam Panels will help a little to cut down mid to high frequencies bouncing around and phase issues.
I put panels up in my 11x11 room.
Here are some ideas:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=googhydr- ... _lpo_url=C

The sub will be a nice addition to your Eris. You don't have to crank your sound system up too loud. The lower bottom end is wonderful to hear.

You would need bass traps to really help with controlling low frequencies though.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by afxtwn on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:19 am
Thanks very much for the quick reply. Would I put the panels on the back wall directly behind the speakers or higher up or on the side wall? I'm not really sure of position.

Your comment about the sub has reassured me about getting one. I want to be able to hear the lower bass frequencies (especially on more complex electronic music) but I don't want to annoy my neighbours or even spoil my own enjoyment of just hearing a load of bass which is what I was worried about. As you said, I can just turn the volume down to match my speakers (I have them set at default/middle anyway).

I assume it would be ok to just stick the sub under my desk somewhere? I guess it doesn't need to be quite as directional as your main speakers are?
by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:05 am
Like Bbd mentions, the foam panels will help, and the proper sub bass he mentioned would be a huge plus for you. Great link he provided.

There's some great tips on outfitting your home studio environment acoustically on Youtube. I'd have to check, but some videos address foam location (even mirrored from monitoring to where you sit, sweet spot, work station location, speaker placement location as well. Something I see your workspace could benefit from.

Of course, we always don't have the luxury of dedicating the whole room to such things, but some familiarity with acoustics, helps. Maybe a bookcase in the back, to soak up reflections etc will prompt good furniture placement practices, hopefully getting out from a corner, etc. As I'm sure you know, since you're looking to improve your space, it's not just all about foam, but surfaces, reflections, and other strategies. You're on the right track though.

It's all good. Right now my listening area is in transition, and not at all what I want, so ill be relocating and looking at these things. I'm relying on nearfields at proper distance, and keeping the volume down to compensate.

Hope to have the new location up by mid summer. Let us know what you get, or improve upon!

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by afxtwn on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 am
@Lokeyfly Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have been looking at some YT videos and reading up on a few things and as you mentioned, I don't really have an ideal desk/speaker placement at the moment but this rooms is also my bedroom and I want to maximise as much floorspace as I can for VR as I also have a HTC Vive which I think you can see on the floor in one photo and that's what the pink-glowing ominous thing is in the corner on a prop pole.

As I am not analysing music for recording really then I think at the moment I may have to leave my setup as it is and just focus on foam placement and speaker placement/position. I am trying to get the best of everything when I know it's perhaps better to focus on one thing and do it well.

I will definitely get the sub at some point as it's not expensive and I think would enhance the sound a lot and I will just make sure not to have it loud or too powerful. I may move my desk and computer into another room at a later date as there is a wireless adapter coming out for the Vive which would mean I could possibly have the PC in another room entirely and just use the bedroom to walk around in. The spare room I move the computer to could then be a dedicated audio room and I can fit it out more appropriately but at the moment I will have to manage with what I have.

Also, the reason the desk is situated more in the corner is due to that's where all the wall sockets are and it's nearest to the door to run my ethernet cable to the router. I know I could just use power extensions and adapters but because of the Vive I want to minimise the trip hazards as the Vive's tethered cable is enough to worry about.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice and there are some things I can do to help but I need to be realistic and accept my current setup and room limitations aren't conducive to having the best audio experience.
by Lokeyfly on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:26 pm
Cool. Have fun with it. The link Bbd posted has some nice prices. The 12 packs of 12x12 look real good.
Cheers.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Bbd on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:15 pm
Move your small speakers away from the corner and wall. My left speaker is about 14" from the left corner and about 10" from the left and front wall (not exact). I don't have the "room" to pull them further away.
The idea is that you don't want them near the wall because it will hype the bottom end a bit.

Also, for the sub, anywhere below your speakers on the floor and actually not center between the speakers is better than centered. This is because of standing waves in your small room. It helps to offset its position.

Lokefly mentioned near-field monitoring. That means that you don't crank up the speakers loud and sit way back. You want about 36" or so from your ears to the center cone with the speakers and your head making a perfect triangle. You don't want to be in the center of room either. Standing waves will both increase and mask specific frequencies. If you monitor lower levels than higher, you take the room out of your speakers a bit more.

:readit:

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by afxtwn on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:20 am
I've moved my desk forward a bit more but still in the same position and I've moved the speaker stands so that now the speakers are about 12 inches away from the back wall and the left speaker is also 12 inches away from the side wall/corner. I think that's the best I can do in this situation.

I have measured my central position and I am just over 36 inches from each speaker so I presume that's ok.

I think I will still get some foam for behind the speakers and perhaps the corner and I will get the sub and place it under my desk to the left side probably, although that will need a little experimenting with.

Hopefully this will improve things somewhat (not that the sound's terrible in the first place, it's pretty good!).
by shanabit on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am
Get your PC off the desk, your left speaker sounding is hitting the back of it

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by afxtwn on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:11 am
@shanabit Hi, I've since changed the setup so that the PC is at the back of the speakers but in the middle of them both. I brought the desk forward and used a spare stand to put the PC on top of it behind the desk. This also brought the speakers forward further away from the wall and the corner where the left speaker was.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1