Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi Folks,
About to purchase a pair of Eris 5's for my room. I have an awkward set up that can't really be adjusted. So desk is close to wall behind and wall to my left.
I know that there are settings on the back that determine -3 -6 and so on for different speaker locations on the desk. However,

Yes I can put clothes and so on behind the speakers but...I still need to make certain to balance low's and mids etc. As sound will still bounce and rumble

I see from the pics of the Eris Models that they come to my door with settings for lows and mids set at 12 o'clock for both (straight up)
To me this seems like it wouldn't correctly represent the actual sound, as it would be a sort of smiley EQ curve.
It is exactly for this reason why I don't want or use sub woofers. My goal is to not create "Mud" when working with tracks like guitars, vocals, snare and so on that all compete for the same relative space.

So what would be a close to accurate settings to offset bouncing and reflection of low end without simply cutting the gain. I'm seeking to get a balance that will be accurate in spite of set backs of room design.
Headphones fooled me too many times even when being painstakingly careful and careful watching of levels and extensive usage of VU Meters and Level meters to make sure.
Would something more of an 11 o'clock/1 o'clock be closer to accurate? Or something that would be closer to a high pass type of EQ?
All advice, suggestions and ideas are welcome. And thanks...it's good to be here in this forum.

Marty
by henrinagelhout on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 am
If you have a smartphone or a tablet, install an RTA app.
If you have a measuring mic, even better, use that to measure frequency response.

Throw pink noise over the speakers.
Then twist and turn the knobs and fiddle with the speaker positioning for an as flat as possible frequency response.

You're not gonna get it any good in your situation and frequency spikes will occur.

Y.M.M.V. :readit:

PC: MacBook Pro 13" (2016), i5-6267U, 8Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD, macOS Big Sur 11.3.1
Interface: Audiobox iTwo | MIDI: Nektar Impact LX61 | Monitors: Eris E5 | DAW: Studio One 5.2.1 Pro
Plug-Ins: Amplitube 5, Komplete 11 Select, Melodyne 5 Editor, Superior Drummer 2.0, and various freebies
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 am
Yep. Until you can effectively treat the room with bass traps and whatnot, you will just have to learn what the speakers are telling you to mix effectively.

You can run the S1 tone generator for pink noise out to the speakers. Then set up a mic at the listening position, and put the spectrum meter on the insert of that track. Then use the knob to adjust the best you can.

FWIW, a reference mic as stated above, would be the best choice. You can get a descent one for under $100 USD.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

3 posts
Page 1 of 1