Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
18 posts
Page 1 of 1
i'm thinking that these eris 8's are not as good as i originally thought after hearing a few other home studio friend's monitors. these mackies one guy had blew me away. 1000 /pr .maybe time for an upgrade? any suggestions? and i don't even like mackie products

presonus 1642.. studio one pro 2.. presonus Sceptre 8.. les paul epiphone standard pro.. Ibanez g2000 bass.. Yamaha apx500ii.. apple imac intel core i5 processor. presonus hp4.. ez drummer2... melodyne essentials , mapex drums ,big baby taylor. persons sceptre 8, presonus monitor station,ozone isotope 7, peavey t-40, peavey falcon, yamaha ypg 535
by jpettit on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:37 pm
The Scepter 6s are a great nearfield monitor.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by boudie123 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:42 pm
yep , i bit the bullet and bought the scepter s8's .waiting for them to arrive .hope i made the right choice. they are pretty pricey for a home studio

presonus 1642.. studio one pro 2.. presonus Sceptre 8.. les paul epiphone standard pro.. Ibanez g2000 bass.. Yamaha apx500ii.. apple imac intel core i5 processor. presonus hp4.. ez drummer2... melodyne essentials , mapex drums ,big baby taylor. persons sceptre 8, presonus monitor station,ozone isotope 7, peavey t-40, peavey falcon, yamaha ypg 535
by matthewgorman on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:20 pm
Where did you get them? I ask, because I have the 6's and the 8's, have a/b'ed them for the last 6 months, and prefer the 6's. Paired with a Temblor 10 is ideal, but will probably cost you an additional $200 over just the 8's.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by jpettit on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:44 pm
the 6's. Paired with a Temblor 10 is ideal

This is what I have as well. I went with the 6 due to room on my desk.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by matthewgorman on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:58 pm
The 8's are pretty big.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by horahack on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:36 am
I'd like to run a pair of JBL LSR305 5" 82 watt with a pair of Alesis 4" 70 watt monitors. Will this work or do the monitors have to be the same power. If I just use a TRS split to the other two speakers. Not sure the best way to hook this up. Only two balanced outs on the interface.

Windows 11 i7, 16 Gig,
Studio One 5 Professional
by Steve Carter on Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:48 am
Hi.....
I'm presuming that you don't want to listen to both sets of speakers simultaneously! Probably safest and most convenient to get some form of speaker splitter (vary greatly in price/quality/features) and run your interface out into the splitter, in turn connected to your speakers.
Regards.....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by horahack on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:54 am
Thanks, Steve. No I do want to use all four speakers at the same time. Would I still need the splitter to do this. Like a speaker in each corner of the studio with the stereo split diagonally or even just left and right side of the room. If that makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines of a Y adapter for the cables?

Windows 11 i7, 16 Gig,
by roblof on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 pm
horahack wroteThanks, Steve. No I do want to use all four speakers at the same time. Would I still need the splitter to do this. Like a speaker in each corner of the studio with the stereo split diagonally or even just left and right side of the room. If that makes sense. I was thinking more along the lines of a Y adapter for the cables?

This is an odd setup. How did you come up with this?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by horahack on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:45 am
I don't know if it will work, The 5" 70 watt monitors are just the two channel monitors where the left speaker plugs into the right with a TRS cable. I wanted to use the JBL LSR305 5" for low end and the Alesis for the high, because I can't afford a good Sub. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a Temblor 10 or just use the JBLs alone. I was just thinking I could come out of the preamp with a TRS split or XLR and use all four monitors for a fuller sound and just use the nearfield JBLs for mixing.

Windows 11 i7, 16 Gig,
by matthewgorman on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:14 am
Its not going to work as you think it is. If you need low end response, my suggestion is to get a sub.

Most times with 2 seta of speakers, you would use something like the Monitor Station or Central Station to handle speaker switching duties.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by horahack on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:54 am
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm leaning more toward the Temblor 10. GC has a pretty good price on the JBLs $224 a pair, Black Friday sale, but the sub seems more practical.

Windows 11 i7, 16 Gig,
by jackylouposedel on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:23 pm
i use Yamaha HS8 and Focusrite VRM Box paired with Sony MDR headphones at night. I have no complaints and I believe monitors w radius 7 and below are not worth the money. In most cases, however, the environment is the limiting factor

-------------------------
Mac Pro 5.3 OSX 10.12
Cubase 6
Studio One 3 pro
RME Multiface
Avalon 737
Pro Art MPA 2
Presonus FaderPort
Dell Precision T5500 8core w Win7 Ultimate
Pro Tools 11 w Native Instruments Komplete,
Studio One 3
RME HDSPe RayDAT
Focusrite LS 56 & Focusrite LS 56 & Profire 2626
Eleven Rack
Akai MPK 261 + 2x BFC2000
Focusrite vrm box
------------------------
by Steve Carter on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:00 pm
Hi Jacky...

I'm interested in your use of the Focurite VRM box with headphones. I use headphones most of the time when mixing, due to noise restraints, and I also own a VRM box (freebie with purchase of Focusrite interface) but to my shame I've never used it! If you can spare the time, would you mind sharing some further info;

Why, when and what setting/s do you use with the VRM?

What benefit/s are getting and do they relate well in the real world outwith of the VRM?

Yes, I could plug it in and see for myself but I can't always trust my old ears! So some heads-up from an actual user would be useful.

Regards.... Steve

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
by jackylouposedel on Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 am
HI Steve,

the app is very straight forward and you will see what i mean when you connect it.

Attach usb to the computer, install vrmbox control and run an spdif line from your audio source. It should work as standalone sound card as well, but I never actually tried that option.

Interface will let you emulate room settings including several well known speaker sets and studio monitors. I do not own any of speaker sets used, so I can not tell how accurate are the emulations, but it does somehow point out some mix strengths and weaknesses.

I changed several more&less compressed headphones before I felt happy with the emulation of the monitors I had on hand.

The point is to get the mix sound ok on as many devices as possible and I think VRM box often guesses shortcomings better than actual monitors. Of course, the results are subjective and biased, with online sound pundits tearing apart anything that cost less than 3K. I wouldn't dare to promote it as replacements for monitors, but I always run VRM box first, then use monitors, and then ask for random opinion.

I tried some some other plugin out there to simulate the same process, but nothing comes close to vrmbox in terms of price or quality. Focusrite is sloppy with software updates, so I recommend using it on Windows or older OSX if you want to take advantage of aggregate device option

Later, J

Mac Pro 5.3 OSX 10.12
Cubase 6
Studio One 3 pro
RME Multiface
Avalon 737
Pro Art MPA 2
Presonus FaderPort
Pro Tools 11 w Native Instruments Komplete,
Studio One 3
RME HDSPe RayDAT
Focusrite LS 56 & Focusrite LS 56 & Profire 2626
Eleven Rack
Akai MPK 261 + 2x BFC2000
Focusrite vrm box
------------------------
by Steve Carter on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:06 am
Thanks for the info Jacky....
I'll try to find time set it up and explore the possibilities of the VRM over the Xmas break but somehow methinks that the consumption of food/drink and visiting family might interfere...!
Have a goodun' ... Cheers
Steve
p.s. I don't mean the the literal consumption of visiting family as in 'we're having family over for dinner - why? Couldn't you afford a turkey' etc...... you understand..... I'll leave further jokes to the Xmas crackers!

by jackylouposedel on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:44 am
Hope you had a marvelous time!

Mac Pro 5.3 OSX 10.12
Cubase 6
Studio One 3 pro
RME Multiface
Avalon 737
Pro Art MPA 2
Presonus FaderPort