Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
i have the eris 4.5's set up as my pc speakers and there's a hum on the active speaker. it's only very slight, but it is there constantly. the pc and all other electrical stuff is approx 1.5m away from the speaker. the only thing close to it is the monitor. is there anything i can do to eliminate this?

also, the passive speaker makes noises when web pages are loading, again, only very slightly audible. i have purchased some shielded speaker cables to alleviate the problem, but it still pursists. is there anything i can do about this, too?

thanks
by Audioplay1 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:29 pm
Remove the cables from the speakers, leaving them powered up. What do you hear?
Plug the cables in to the speakers (powered up) without connection to the computer. What do you hear?
Plug the cables in to the speakers and computer. What do you hear?
Process of elimination here.

Are your cables balanced? Unbalanced? Long / short? Laying on, or near the monitor or power sources? Any fluorescent or neon lighting in the room? Other noise sources - wall warts, etc?

You mention also noise in your passive speakers.
Plug the cables into your speakers from your amp without connection to the PC. What do you hear?
Now plug the computer into the amp. What do you hear?

Could be a powered speaker problem, a cable problem, an amp problem, PC problem, or electrical grounding problem. Again, process of elimination to identify it.

I recently replaced some passive KRK's / amp with powered Eris 8's. It was an eye opener. Not only did the ERIS reveal some things within the mixes, but also a very slight 50 - 60hz hum coming off the DAW. Inaudible to most, but not so to my ear.

Good luck
by jamesfrench on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:05 am
thanks for the response. but i've tried the active speaker with nothing but the power cord connected and it still does it. it's only very slight so i think i'll live with it, don't fancy the costs of having to send them back. the only thing running close to the power cord is the monitor cable, but as they are for my PC, this will have to stay the same.

as for the passive speaker making noises when pages are loading, it hasn't done it for some time since posting about it. fingers crossed it won't come back.

cheers

3 posts
Page 1 of 1