Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just opened a ticket but....

Has anyone else had any problems with the power supply in the E5 going south?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff Clark

Bass Player
Manchester, NH, USA
by nvr2l855 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:09 am
I had that happen to my E8s twice. The first time was only weeks after I got them and the retailer replaced the one without a problem. The second time was just recently when the speaker was just under a year old. PreSonus was very good about honoring the warranty and repaired it for free with a minimal of shipping lag time. Never have gotten an explanation as to what when wrong, or how I might prevent it in the future though.
by kelk25 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:51 pm
Mine just went out too. I replaced it with the one that was in the holder and it blew out also.
My unit is JUST over 1 year old. I am hopefull that Presonus will step up and repair this!
by antoniosilva on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:16 pm
Just happened to me!
I couldn't get them(tech sup.) on the phone today.
Fingers crossed that they will fix this.
My box is a little over a year, therefore out of warranty.
I just hope i don't have to pay for a design mistake...
Fuse blew during a mix session, changed the fuse and immediately blew again.
Hopefully just a bad capacitor...
I'm somewhat glad I'm not the only or first one....
by moraldecay31 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:44 pm
This also happened to me on one of my eris e8.i replaced fuse with the extra one in back and I immediately popped again.presonus had me send both my speakers back for a warrenty repair and have had no problems since
by kelk25 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 am
antoniosilva wroteJust happened to me!
I couldn't get them(tech sup.) on the phone today.
Fingers crossed that they will fix this.
My box is a little over a year, therefore out of warranty.
I just hope i don't have to pay for a design mistake...
Fuse blew during a mix session, changed the fuse and immediately blew again.
Hopefully just a bad capacitor...
I'm somewhat glad I'm not the only or first one....

It does seem like it is a design problem or a bad component in the design.
All of these units are just right at the one year mark when these are failing.
The MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) of this component must be right at one year.

I too hope that Presonus addresses this issue.
by kelk25 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:40 pm
They are going to repair mine for free!
I knew there was a reason that I liked Presonus. GREAT PRODUCT SUPPORT!
by rockymtndrummer on Fri May 01, 2015 12:41 pm
I have a pair of Eris E8's and one of them has the same issue that your describing. Fuses blow immediately and are really black so it's a major issue. I'm having it bench repaired by Presonus now so hopefully I won't have this problem in another year or with the other functioning Monitor.
by simonriverin on Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:12 pm
Hi, my Eris e8 blowed fuse like you, it turned out it's a ceramic capacitor .1uF - 100V that burned out, The ceramic shrank so much from the heat that the two poles inside touched toguether, creating a shortage. I need to replace it. What's strange though, in my other Eris e8, it's a diffrent circuit board and have .1uF - 400V ceramic capacitor in it. The part cost almost nothing if you can solder it by yourself.
by Jemusic on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:46 am
The capacitor 100V voltage rating is too low for either 120V or 240V. Sounds like it was a mistake. 400V is much closer to the mark. If the speakers are under warranty you might void it doing your own repairs. You need to be skilled soldering components around mains areas to ensure soldering is solid and strong. (Unplug before soldering!)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by medyaye on Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:39 pm
Hi
After 8 years i have the same issue. I don't use my monitor often.
Presonus gives no solution altought I'm willin to do the repair myself.
I really don't understand presonus that make an obvious design mistake and doesn't gives at least some instructions.
If someone has some picture of the capacitor replacement ?

11 posts
Page 1 of 1