Discuss Eris E4.5, E5, E8, E44 and E66 here
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm noticing constant static buzzing from my Eris Sub8 when it's plugged in the mains, don't think that's expected. I tried all the outlets in the appartment, will try the basement next. I do have other speakers, and no buzzing can be heard.

Just guessing but could it be the power transformer in the sub that's causing this?

Any ideas what else I can try, and what to do next, as this doesn't seem good to me?
by matsbohman on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 am
Did you get this solved?
Just bought an Eris Sub8 as an addition to my 3.5's. And yes, there is an instant and distinctive humming for me as well.
It doesn't sound or behave as a ground loop issue. This seems to be some kind of disturbance from the PC. My sound changes when doing different things on the PC, like scrolling on a webpage etc.

As soon as I unplug my USB96 device the humming stops.
I run with a good set of balanced wires, and the issue is the same with RCA cables.
I have also tried running the RCA cable through a ground loop isolator, but the humming remains.

I tried three different USB cables, including one with ferrite cores. Still the same.

Yes I know, this isn't any kind of high end equipment, but one could expect better than this. There should be some kind of filter in the Audiobox interface, preventing this.

Left to try.
Running the balanced signal through a DI box.
Buying and testing an USB isolator.

Right now I'm in the state of probably returning the subwoofer, since I can't sit here all day with this background hum/noise.
by craigellis4 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:30 am
Hey there

Interested if you managed to get to the bottom of this.

I have exactly the same setup and the same issues - a general hum and random "buzzing" on doing certain things on a PC, like scrolling a web page or opening a bright white window.

I had just the 3.5s prior to adding the Sub8 to the mix and had no such issues.

Like you, my setup is connected via a DAC through USB 2.0, using decent TRS balanced cables to link everything up.
by thomaswest5 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:50 pm
I had the very same issue when adding the sub8 to my e3's. I run straight to the pc input jack and am using high quality trs cables from sub to speakers. When hooked to other sound device like a phone everything is silent, even on full blast. I tried different outlets with extension cords and no luck. At 1/4 volume on the eris speakers it wasnt noticeable until I put a load on my GPU with something like gaming.

My temporary solution has been using an extra PSU power cord instead of the supplied cord with the sub8 and if I play with it and get it at just the right angle coming out of the sub there is no noise even with speakers at 100%. Its something I have to adjust everytime my puppy moves the cord as his bed is down there but it works so far.

Looking for a permanent solution as well!
by davidpacker1 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:44 am
I have the exact same problem, Sub 8 connected to PC with unbalanced cables, Sub 8 connected to Eris 3.5s with balanced cables. The problem gets a lot worse when the GPU is active causing a loud constant buzz through the Eris 3.5s.
I've tried lots of different cables from Sub 8 to Eris 3.5s and from PC to Sub 8 , connecting from both the 3.5mm audio out on the PC and through the optical out via a DAC. Nothing fixes the buzz.
I've also tried a different power cable on the Sub 8 as well as plugging the Sub 8 into it's own wall socket (8' away from the pc).
If anyone has found a solution then I'd love to know, though the lack of responses on the forum isn't filling me with confidence. Looks like I might be sending the Sub back for a refund.
Has anyone had the Sub 8 work fine with Eris 3.5s?
Has anyone had any better luck with an alternative Sub?
Also has this problem affected anyone using an audio interface / balanced input?
Might also be worth considering if it's a particular GPU in the pc that isn't playing well with the Sub 8, I'm using an Nvidia 3070ti and can hear everything it does on screen, even if I unplug the PC Monitor.
by craigellis4 on Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:02 am
davidpacker1 wroteI have the exact same problem, Sub 8 connected to PC with unbalanced cables, Sub 8 connected to Eris 3.5s with balanced cables. The problem gets a lot worse when the GPU is active causing a loud constant buzz through the Eris 3.5s.
I've tried lots of different cables from Sub 8 to Eris 3.5s and from PC to Sub 8 , connecting from both the 3.5mm audio out on the PC and through the optical out via a DAC. Nothing fixes the buzz.
I've also tried a different power cable on the Sub 8 as well as plugging the Sub 8 into it's own wall socket (8' away from the pc).
If anyone has found a solution then I'd love to know, though the lack of responses on the forum isn't filling me with confidence. Looks like I might be sending the Sub back for a refund.
Has anyone had the Sub 8 work fine with Eris 3.5s?
Has anyone had any better luck with an alternative Sub?
Also has this problem affected anyone using an audio interface / balanced input?
Might also be worth considering if it's a particular GPU in the pc that isn't playing well with the Sub 8, I'm using an Nvidia 3070ti and can hear everything it does on screen, even if I unplug the PC Monitor.

Hi David

My initial issue grew worse and a few weeks ago I decided to tackle it before my setup discovered an open window on the second story. I tried ferret chokes, different power leads, isolated sockets, you name it. Nothing worked and, like you, my 3080TI became as much of a sound card as a graphic one.

As a last ditch I tried a cheap in-line ground loop noise isolator fitted to the analogue line out from the source.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019FC6ZQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked!! Can't quite believe it, but it worked!

Not sure where you are in the world and whether this particular unit is available, so for what's worth I also ordered the "Besign" model which worked equally well, but wasn't as suited to my particular setup as it had a fixed 3.5 jack cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XQYN77L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't say I've noticed any drop in sound quality so in lieu of actually being able to tame the sub8 itself, I'm very happy with this option.

Hope that helps!
by davidpacker1 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:03 am
Thanks Craig,
You actually solved the problem!
I bought the isolator suggested in your first amazon link and it works perfectly. I must confess I was about to send the Sub8 back and start looking for an alternative.
Thanks again, it's great to finally have a solution.
by craigellis4 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:14 am
Brilliant! Pleased I could be of some help! 👍

8 posts
Page 1 of 1