StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey guys:

I'm experiencing some strangeness...which im hoping is just me being stupid (not uncommon) and not a sign of something more sinister. I use a studio live 24.4.2 with a Mac Pro in a small amateur studio application. and I'm far from a technical wiz....I'm running protools 11 native. I've had the board for a few years now..and in that time have managed to record several projects with success. The issue Im facing is this: when recording using any microphone on any channel...im unable to hear any audio both in mains and monitors...nor in the headphones the artists are wearing..while they are performing... The audio is being picked up and registering on the meter. Even though they/I can't here themselves while performing... the audio they are producing does record...I can play any other audio and it works fine and sounds great..but If I asked a drummer to give me some "kick" for a studio sound check...I can not here the kick even though its there...artists can not here themselves while playing as there just zero audio coming out of anything. ..I'm am very hopeful just some button just needs to be pressed and I'm just overlooking something obvious. I just cant understand what would be causing this. Any thoughts on this would be fantastic!
by SwitchBack on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 pm
The best way to go about this is by using the mixer's meters:
- meters in 'input' mode shows any signal on the channel inputs
- meters in 'output' mode shows any signal right before the channel faders
- meters in 'aux' mode will show any signal on the aux outputs (post level pot)
- the meters over the display show any signal on sub and main outputs (post fader)

When the output meters show signal level but no signal comes out the back then it's time to worry.
by Crashbox on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:04 pm
Im sorry to report that I'm showing signal on the output meters...but am getting no live audio...

<update> actually after further testing...I show output signal only during playback...which functions fine. I can play any audio and hear it just fine...signal also shows while using the talkback mic...which is also able to be heard in monitors and headphones...but while using a mic in any channel there is no signal output showing on the board...yet it does show signal input in my DAW.
by briansurratt on Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:37 pm
I saw this post and was so excited for an answer! I am having the same problem; I can't hear what I am recording, I have to record a snippet and listen back and make the adjustments. This is certainly a dumb way to do it, but now I am tryng to record direct with an analog keyboard and it's just not possible because I can't hear it! I can't believe it's this difficult, I've been scouring the manual and the internetz. Did you ever figure it out over the last decade? haha I am definitely late to the party
by SwitchBack on Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:58 am
Have a look at this Joe Gilder video about recording in Studio One. It's all good info but pay special attention to what he explains about monitoring during recording. Hope it's helpful :)

PS. While we're here, also have a look at this Gregor Beyerle video about loopback delay adjustment. Important anyway and for for punch-in recording specifically.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1