StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am experiencing a noisy module that seems to be related to the Phantom power perhaps, but regardless, there is low or no output and erratic static and popping. Has anyone else encountered this?

A remedy?
by rnaqvi on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:03 pm
You should open a support ticket at support.presonus.com and they can give you some things to try. If the board needs to be repaired they can issue an Return Authorization number for you and give you instructions on where to ship it back for service.

Either way, they will be glad to help you.

Kind Regards,

Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales, PreSonus Audio Electronics
http://www.presonus.com
by robcurrens on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:02 pm
will Do, Thanks!
by fredy2 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:56 pm
My guess is that the 100mfd/6.3V cap for that channel at the input to the A-D board is going bad. When one goes, others will follow.
by still_surfin on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 am
I've had the same issue with my 16.4.2 but only mine is channel 8. I used this board VERY rarely as it was a backup for the 24.4.2. Then I set it up in my rehearsal space and one channel had a loud crackling intermittently. I checked with support (it was out of warrant - of course) and ended up paying the $175 to send it to their repair. I got the board back and it seemed fixed, but after about 4 hours use, the problem returned on the same channel. I've opened a ticket with support, but don't have much hope. I've never actually been able to speak to anyone in support and I find the messaging back and forth very tedious.
by edgarhall on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 am
I'm curious to know if you were able to resolve your noisy channel problem. I recently purchased an SL 32.4.2 AI mixer and I am experiencing crackling and popping noise on channels 1 and 2. Nothing is connected to the channels. Once I turn it on and after about 15-20 minutes I start to see and hear the noise coming from the two channels.
by stevieparker on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:37 pm
Anyone came up with the solution to hiss on the channel and loud crackling when the 48v is switched on the same channel ? Also the channel is only running half power on the input too. ?
by wahlerstudios on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:35 am
The only thing you can do is a factory reset, which will renew all (!) settings of the mixer. You would need to save anything you want to keep BEFORE you start the reset. If this does not help, there is no workaround or DIY and the mixer obviously needs service/repair. It looks like a fader bank has to be replaced.
by fredy2 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:16 pm
I have had the 100mfd/6v caps that drive the A-D convertors fail one after another. The gain of a channel will drop way down and be noisy. The capacitors are surface mounted and are in a row on the A-D board. Some skill is required to replace them. There are a couple of YouTube videos about replacing surface mounted electrolytic caps. If one goes bad, replace them all.
by jerrykrinock on Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:38 am
Thank you fredy2. We had this problem in 2017 on channels 6 and 8 (a little noisy, gain OI) and channel 7 (very noisy, low gain). We sent our StudioLive 16.4.2 back to Louisiana for repairs. Now, channel 7 is acting up again. I am quite disappointed that, since this seems to be a well-known issue, PreSonus apparently did not replace all of the capacitors with better parts.

Surface mounted electrolytic or tantalum capacitors are relatively large cuboids, at least .100 inch on a side, and have only two contact pins, on opposite sides. Having had such experience, if I can get to them, I can replace them. So I'm definitely going to take a peek inside there before I consider boxing up this monster and hauling it out again, not to mention the 4 weeks of downtime.

I kind of thought that this issue would have had something to do with the 48V coupling, and am surprised that this capacitor is only 6 volts. Do you recall, are there 16 such capacitors, one for each channel, and are they for power supply bypassing or something?
by wahlerstudios on Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:02 am
Unfortunately there is no repair option anymore. By June 1, 2021 PreSonus has published the "End of service notice for StudioLive 16.0.2 Classic and 16.4.2 Classic". You might try a repair on your own, but do not expect help from others. This thread is four years old. It might be time to look for a newer mixer. There are "worlds" between the classic PreSonus mixers and the Series III mixers...

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -2-Classic
by jqzgkprl on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
I HAVE studiolive 16.4.2 AI. Some of the channels has noises and the light shows it too. It seems to be the same problems as described on this side. May it be defect caps on mine too? and how can I find it on the print?
regard Alberg Hansen

12 posts
Page 1 of 1