StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Got a 16.4.2 2nd hand off ebay - and it seems to be brand new - maybe just taken out of the box a couple times.

I'm having an issue with the firewire connection. Whenever I connect the firewire - the main outs, cut out. It comes in an out for a few seconds and then just stops all together - all the inputs are fine, it is just the output.

I saw something on the forums about changing from firewire 0 to 1. That made no difference.
I saw somewhere else where i have to start the mixer and the computer in a certain order, but I have a 16.0.2 and i connect them all the time no problem in any order. I've updated my UC to the latest version, and it didn't tell me to update the mixer so I assume the mixer is on the latest firmware.

The only odd thing i noticed was that on the sample rate it says Firewire instead of the usual 48kHz.

Also I'm running a mac if that makes a difference. I remembered I had an issue with my 16.0.2 using firewire with my Mac. Apparently the grounding for firewire on the mac is different or something and the presonus screwed up the firewire. So on pc it would work no problem, but on mac there would be an issue. This was an easy fix, contacted presonus, and they got a local repairer to fix it at no change. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't an issue where the mains cut out, it was just that UC would freeze every few seconds or so and wouldn't record - capture would just stop every couple seconds. But that doesn't happen here, it is just the main outs don't work. So I do not think it is the firewire grounding problem again.

Couldn't find much else that was related to my problem so if you guys could help out that would be great.
by SwitchBack on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:10 pm
May be a cable problem. When connecting the mixer to a FW800 port you need a bilingual FW400-to-FW800 cable. Assuming you installed Universal Control on your Mac I can't think of any other problem really.
by saieashmohanadas on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:44 pm
I'm pretty sure it isn't the cable, I have used (and still use) the same cable for my 16.0.2 and no issue at all. Any other options?
by mwright137 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:40 pm
Do you happen to have (or have you ever had) UC-AI installed?

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by saieashmohanadas on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:54 am
mwright137 wroteDo you happen to have (or have you ever had) UC-AI installed?

Nope - only install the UC that is supposed to be used with the mixer. Downloaded it straight from the webpage.
by MrGrimFish on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:51 pm
Hi, I'm no expert here, but I've a 'no main audio output' problem too.
Mine is there whether I'm hooked up via firewire or not.
The desk worked fine last time I used it, then this problem was there when next I went to use it (I was hooked up to firewire at that time and have tried it with and without numerous times now, including factory resets etc).

Have you tried without your firewire and mac connected? do you have main outs then?

I've tried most things suggested by approved repairer (prior to sending in, which I think I'm going to have to do now).

Have you checked whether the mono output at the back gives you a signal, or trying the aux outs too?
Might help narrow it down.
For me, I've no output on any of them.

If I find out what's wrong/caused it, I'll let you know.
by gregfichtner on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 am
I have same issue on my 16.0.2 . If I connect to MAC via Firewire, no audio out from Mains, Phones, Monitor, etc.. Input/Output LEDs all light up indicating signal is reaching output jacks... but nothing there. Worse yet, the problem persists even after powering down, disconnecting Firewire, zero out board, even factory reset board. It's a useless brick. BUT.... I did discover a way to restore the board back to its original state. If I power everything down, and disconnect power cord for a period of time (sometimes 10 min, sometimes overnight), when I boot back up, it is working again. But if I connect Firewire again, it kills it again.
I've checked the usual suspects of UC and firmware versions, device boot sequence, etc.
I've been combing the Forums for a couple days now, and this issue is pretty easy to find. Solutions from Presonus, however, are not. I've only seen their questions... "Are you conditioning power? Do you have the latest UC/Firmware? Did you remove old software?" But the conversations all end with no solutions offered.
by sjc193 on Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 am
Try changing the FireWireID from 0 to 1 (in the system menu) wait a second, then change it back to 0. This will cause the firewire to reset and will usually get you up and running unless there is a hardware issue.

You can also try using the correct startup procedure:

everything off, plug the firewire cable in both the computer and mixer
turn on the mixer, wait till it's fully on
turn on the computer

turn off in opposite direction

if that doesn't work, try flipping the FireWireID trick.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by jabraham on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 am
Got mine working by toggling sample rate to 48 and back to 44.1 first in universal control, then independently on the board (system menu 3 AFTER disconnecting the computer), then turning it off for a minute.
by MesaGuitarGuy on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:43 pm
gregfichtner wroteI have same issue on my 16.0.2 . If I connect to MAC via Firewire, no audio out from Mains, Phones, Monitor, etc.. Input/Output LEDs all light up indicating signal is reaching output jacks... but nothing there. Worse yet, the problem persists even after powering down, disconnecting Firewire, zero out board, even factory reset board. It's a useless brick. BUT.... I did discover a way to restore the board back to its original state. If I power everything down, and disconnect power cord for a period of time (sometimes 10 min, sometimes overnight), when I boot back up, it is working again. But if I connect Firewire again, it kills it again.
I've checked the usual suspects of UC and firmware versions, device boot sequence, etc.
I've been combing the Forums for a couple days now, and this issue is pretty easy to find. Solutions from Presonus, however, are not. I've only seen their questions... "Are you conditioning power? Do you have the latest UC/Firmware? Did you remove old software?" But the conversations all end with no solutions offered.

I'm having the same issues with my 16.0.2
AND I've done all the same things you have in attempt to resolve it.
I also contacted Presonus a couple years ago about the same issue, with no resolve.
I'd given up and used a different mixing board, but now I want to sell it.
Just tried to get it all working again before hand.

The board works just fine until I connect my laptop to it to use Capture to do a live recording.
Doing that kills all audio output from the board.
No audio output at all from the mains or the phones. Level is clearly coming in and the same levels are going to the output led's.

pretty useless for recording live.

so I guess it's only a studio board.
by SwitchBack on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:14 pm
Note that firewire isn't hot-swappable on these boards really. You want to make the connection with computer and mixer off, then let the mixer start up, and then start up the computer. When the computer starts up without a mixer connected and running it can revert to the default internal sound card and stick to that when the mixer 'shows up' later on in that session.

Also note that with these first generation mixers it is possible to have the computer (UC) on one bitrate and the mixer on the other. This can be avoided by making sure that mixer and UC are on the same bitrate before the 'everything off - connect - mixer on - computer on'.

Hope that helps.
by lance.dodd on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:45 am
Just a Note to anyone having this problem i fought this for 10 hours back and forth one night
i then in desperation switched off the ac power switch then PULLED OUT THE POWER CORD
let it sit around 5 minutes reconnected power turned on and magic happened all outputs working again so i left a signal running on the chan 1 input for 12 hours with the monitor on and in 12 hours it was still working pretty sure it was a 44.1 <> 48 sampling issue but nothing resolved it short of the full power down and pull out the power cable

12 posts
Page 1 of 1