StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Apologies in advance for the long post.

I've been thinking it's time to upgrade my computer (2012 Mac mini) and was looking into the M1/M2 powered Macs. I learned pretty quickly that Presonus will not be providing driver support for my mixer (16.4.2) for Apple silicon. A bit of disappointment, but I understand that they can't support legacy products forever.

But in doing the research, I discovered that my current setup shouldn't be working at all even though I don't have any issues. I'm stumped so I'm turning to the collective wisdom of this forum for guidance about upgrading my current set up to something newer.

Here's my current set up:

SL 16.4.2, Firmware 1.5a connected via firewire to
2012 Mac mini--2.57 ghz Intel i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB internal SSD, OS Catalina 10.15.7.
Studio One Pro Version 5.4.1
Universal Control 3.6.4.87069 (May 2022 release)

Now everything I've read says that Mojave was the last MacOS that should work with my mixer and UC doesn't support the mixer. Despite that, everything is working exactly as it should! No issues at all.

Can anyone here help me understand why this is working when it shouldn't. I know I'll eventually have to get a new computer (considering a 2018 Mac mini) and want to make sure that I don't do anything that would keep it from working on that machine.

Any and all thoughts and insight would be greatly appreciated.
by SwitchBack on Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:37 pm
'Not supported' usually means 'not tested' and therefore 'not guaranteed to work'. 'Try at your own risk' could be another one. You did with Catalina and found out that it works. But I really can't see it work with M1 silicon and MacOS versions released for that, if only because Apple seems to have dropped FireWire support completely. But 'Try at your own risk' still applies I guess :)
by Suitcase on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:17 pm
SwitchBack wrote'Not supported' usually means 'not tested' and therefore 'not guaranteed to work'. 'Try at your own risk' could be another one. You did with Catalina and found out that it works. But I really can't see it work with M1 silicon and MacOS versions released for that, if only because Apple seems to have dropped FireWire support completely. But 'Try at your own risk' still applies I guess :)

Thank you for that insight re: not supported, makes total sense. I ended up in the current situation "accidentally." My hard drive died so I replaced it with a new internal SSD. Downloaded Catalina and did a clean install of drivers. If I had been paying more attention, I would have stayed with Mojave and the older UC drivers.

My fear now is that I was lucky it all still worked and that introducing new hardware, even running the same software will introduce some variable that I'm unaware of and my luck will run out. I agree that there's no way it will work with an M1/M2, so the newest Mac M ini I'm considering is a 2018. I know the smart thing to do is new mixer or interface along with new computer, but I don't have that in my budget.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:28 pm
You might want to check the "StudioLive Classic 16.4.2 and 24.4.2 - Everything you need to know in 2023" article in Knowledge Base. This article really delivers what its title says.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... ow-in-2023
by Suitcase on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:42 pm
wahlerstudios wroteYou might want to check the "StudioLive Classic 16.4.2 and 24.4.2 - Everything you need to know in 2023" article in Knowledge Base. This article really delivers what its title says.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... ow-in-2023

Thank you.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1