StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I bricked my old MBP, which was dedicated music Snow Leopard, and played nicely with my 24.4.2.
Sniffle. Sniffle.

I picked up a new MBP. Fantastic machine, but the only I/O is the Thunderbolt3/USB4. FW support is available in software, supposedly.

Is anyone using 24.4.2 via this chain? As near as I can tell, electrically, it's 3 adapters -
FW 400-800,
FW800-USBa,
USBa-USBc.

Three adapters is kind of kludgy, and the total comes to nearly $100. I'd rather convert directly but can't find a converter or dock that might do the trick.

If I have to, I will retire the 24.4.2, but would prefer to avoid that just yet.

So - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:53 pm
You should check this article of Knowledge Base. It says:

"FireWire Products on Apple M1 Macs. FireWire Installer will not allow any 1394 products (StudioLive Classic, or StudioLive AI Series) to work with these newer systems"

and

"Universal Control 1.7.6 - FireWire products still work on Mac OS X 10.8.5—macOS 10.14 Mojave (as well as Windows 7, 8.1, and 10)."

It's time to retire the old mixer - or get another old Mac...

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... s-Products
by SwitchBack on Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:56 pm
Yes, here's an article you may want to read. Important excerpt:
"**Please Note: There are no Thunderbolt ports on the Apple USB-C Adapter. It only incorporates : USB-C, HDMI, and USB 3.0 (with the additional use of the adapter, not included)."

So to replace your old MBP you may want to shop for a not so new refurbished one with TB capability on its USB-C ports. And you'll need Apple's TB3-to-TB2 and TB2-to-FW800 adapters, and a bilingual FW400-to-FW800 cable.
by bubbajazz on Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:37 pm
Sigh. That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info, folks. On to Plan B or C...
by curt wicks on Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:13 pm
This is my problem also-I bet there are so many people with working classic mixers that have to get new ones-not presonus that's for sure, just because we finally upgraded our ancient lap tops to the next logical choice,Monterey12.3 with M1.You guys are years behind on updates like universal control is a total joke, tells you an update is available ,then after you install it says your computer is not compatible -oh and you can't get your old version back because they changed it, and years later they say it really doesn't work with Catalina, after pulling my hair out to try to connect to universal control.The mixer just recently only had 2 channels work on a big gig.It worked again of course after I got home. And I find out its a common problem and presonus doesn't service these anymore, sweet.But wait at least I can upgrade to studiolive one 5 and use my new MacBook Pro and hope my mixer keeps working. Oh but wait I read the FireWire Driver doesn't work with M1 and there are no plans to address this as presonus has washed their hands of all the firewire mixers. See Ya its on to protools and a QSC touch mix 30.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1