StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I've been using my 16.4.2 classic mixer for years now, awesome mixer and it has done us so well over the journey. I have been using it in conjunction with dbx Driverack PA+'s for monitors and FOH.
Recently I replaced the FOH unit with a Venu360. I couldn't get the AES inputs to work with the Presonus. Apart from not knowing what the hell AES even stands for, I was assuming that a digital mixer would use the AES inputs at 96kHz?? instead I used the analog inputs on the 360 and was able to get it to work.
Excuse my ignorance, there isn't much information in the 360 manual. Great to get it going, now I'm looking to make sure I am getting the maximum benefit from these bits of equipment. Is AES not the right input for digital mixers, or have I missed something in my setup?
by SwitchBack on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:56 am
AES is a digital interface protocol, not analog. You may be able to connect to it through the StudioLive’s S/PDIF output (which uses a very similar protocol) and a converter/adapter (google for S/PDIF to AES). The StudioLive’s S/PDIF output will be at the mixer’s clock rate. If it works then the single cable connection will be stereo.

The Avid Pro Audio Community has a thread on the subject.
Last edited by SwitchBack on Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
by KC's on Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:21 am
Thanks Switchback, sounds like it's just best to use the analog outputs. My query was just in case I was missing any benefits in audio quality by using the analogue outputs. The system sounds good regardless. :+1 Cheers mate.
by SwitchBack on Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:23 am
You’re welcome :)

4 posts
Page 1 of 1