StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there! I've read the manual a couple of times now, watched a few YouTube videos, and most importantly experimented with the board during a few rehearsals now.

I've learned about the Aux Flip mode where I can send some of FX A and FX B to my Aux mixes (in relation to my question, I'm referencing a stereo linked Aux 1 & 2 for my IEMs). However, when I sent the FX to the Aux, I'm not getting what I expected - I'm getting the effects from A and B applied to all signals present in the Aux channel.

In my main routing, I am only sending vocals (channels 15 and 16) to the FX channels, no instruments. So I thought that sending some of FX A and B to my aux bus would pipe in some of the 'wet' signal of those vocals. Instead, it's applying those effects to everything else in my Aux bus like my drum mics and guitars.

If I want everything in my aux mix, that isn't already in sent to the FX busses, to stay 'dry' but I want to hear the 'wet' vocals in the aux mix, what do I do?

I know enabling POST on the Aux channels includes processing from the Fat channel, but does it include FX? And does the physical fader then impact the level sent to the Aux mix or is that still only determined by the level I've dialed in using the rotary knobs when I hit the Mix button on the aux channel?

TL;DR - how do I get vocals with some effects into an aux without adding said effects to any other instruments in the aux mix?
by SwitchBack on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:46 am
I had this in a very old post and I think it covers all:

You're dealing with 4 mixes here:
- the main mix (set by the faders)
- two FX mixes (set after selecting ‘mix’ on FX A and FX B)
- a stereo aux mix (set after selecting ‘mix’ on the linked pair of auxes)

The main mix is obvious and (from the fader positions) always visible. The faders give you a ‘dry’ mix (no effects). The main mix goes to main out, either direct or via the sub faders.

The FX mixes are only visible when ‘mix’ is lit on FX A or FX B. For a ‘post’ FX mix the settings are relative to the main mix fader settings, otherwise the settings are just like the fader settings. Either way if the mix level for an input channel is zero (no LEDs lit) then that channel does not go to the FX processor. The FX A and B level knobs set the FX output level. Note that each FX processor has only one input mix and only one output signal, which is then available to subs/main and the auxes.

The aux mix is only visible after pressing ‘mix’ on the (pair of) auxes. Press once for the channel settings and press again for the aux input and FX settings. Auxes can be Pre1 (no input EQ/compression), Pre2 (all input FAT processing) or Post (as Pre2 but post main mix fader). Note that the aux inputs and FX levels are always ‘post’ main level because the level knobs on the aux inputs and FXes come first.

So now to ‘having effects on too many inputs in auxes’: That can only come from the FX mixes. Remember that all the inputs selected there for the main mix effects will feature in the FX’s output and go to the auxes too. So check the FX mixes and turn everything down except for channels 15 and 16.

Hope that helps :)
by robgillan on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:26 pm
Okay, so I understand the routing correctly. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

The issue is that when I select either FX A or B, the ONLY two signals going to them are the two vocal channels (in my case, 15 and 16).

Yet, when I use Aux Flip mode to send some of FX A and B to my Aux 1/2 bus, the guitars, drums, and bass all have some delay tail when they stop playing. Even if I brought the vocal mics all the way out of the Aux mix.

Maybe some of the instruments are being picked up by the vocal mic signals going into FX A and B and that's where I'm hearing the delay because the FX busses have signal being sent into Aux 1/2.

I'll have to play around a bit more at the rehearsal space including having our guitarist turn his power amp off so I can see if the delay goes away in my Aux mix when all I can hear is his Helix direct to the board.

Again, I really appreciate your time and explanation.
by SwitchBack on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:10 pm
One very effective trick with effects is to use EQ on the FX channel (FX A and FX B have FAT controls!). Cutting the highs and lows will clean things up a lot. Little dimple in the middle... It’s known as the Abbey Road reverb EQ technique or some variation on that. Good way to eliminate the kick and metal noise too.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1