StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I've searched a bit but mainly seen people asking about converting to thunderbolt 3, etc.

I have an older Intel Q6600 quad core system with a firewire expansion card. I'd like to bring it to my jam room and use Capture to grab the full 16 channel output of my (new to me) classic 16.4.2. I'll capture to an external SSD then take it home to mix in Studio One on a different machine.

Before I drive over gods creation trying to find a store or fellow techy who still has a firewire 400 6 pin to 6 pin cable, I'm wondering if there is anything I need to know about software and OS versions? Since this product is discontinued, are there any known compatibility issues?

I can download a specific ISO of Windows 10 before I install if necessary (for instance, my old Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire interface stopped working after the Windows 1903 update). Same question about Capture and Universal Control.

Since I'm building it from scratch, I can either go latest software on everything or I can pick and choose if I know what to avoid.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is somewhere else on this forum that I just didn't find.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:31 am
The SL 16.4.2 download page probably answers all your questions. You must use Universal Control 1.7.6 for the "classic" StudioLive mixers. Check the "Release Notes" for more information (firmware versions, OS versions, SL Remote, QMix etc.). The Capture verison is 3.0.4.61835, which is the latest & greatest. FireWire cables are stil available in shops (online), the 400/800 versions work without problem. Good luck for your project!

www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-16.4.2/downloads
by SwitchBack on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:54 am
For FW400-to-FW800 cables make sure it is explicitly specified bilingual.
Also research your firewire card and chipset’s compatibility with PreSonus firewire poducts.
by robgillan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:32 am
wahlerstudios wroteThe SL 16.4.2 download page probably answers all your questions. You must use Universal Control 1.7.6 for the "classic" StudioLive mixers. Check the "Release Notes" for more information (firmware versions, OS versions, SL Remote, QMix etc.). The Capture verison is 3.0.4.61835, which is the latest & greatest. FireWire cables are stil available in shops (online), the 400/800 versions work without problem. Good luck for your project!

http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio ... /downloads

That is very helpful, thank you! I'll be sure to go through the Release Notes. (I know this was a bit of a RTFM! moment, but since it's such a legacy product at this point I thought the community may offer some helpful pointers and you have. Thanks again!)
by robgillan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:34 am
SwitchBack wroteFor FW400-to-FW800 cables make sure it is explicitly specified bilingual.
Also research your firewire card and chipset’s compatibility with PreSonus firewire poducts.

Ahh, never considered chipset compatibility. Since the output on the Presonus and the inputs on my firewire card both seem to be 6-pin 400, I will likely try out a standard 400 cable. If I have issues the next thing I'll check is the chipset of my add-in card.

Thanks for your reply and your time!
by robgillan on Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:47 am
SwitchBack wroteFor FW400-to-FW800 cables make sure it is explicitly specified bilingual.

Useful link! The good news is that my firewire chipset is listed in the PDF linked off that page (LSI FW322/323). Thanks again!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1