StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm looking to see it it is at all possible to connect the EarMix 16M to the 16.0.2 USB and what hardware I would need to be able to make this happen. I know I can use an iPad to do the monitor mix but I like the idea of a dedicated panel like the EarMix.

I'm new to AVB so I'd need some specifics if you have any.

Thanks!
by wahlerstudios on Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:35 pm
Unfortunately this will not work, because the 16.0.2 USB is not an AVB device. The EarMixers are part of the Series III ecosystem, the 16.0.2 USB is a self-standing small and nice "classic" mixer. Fortunately it has USB now, the original 16.0.2 had FireWire as digital connectivity. The EarMix gets its signals via network (AVB), it has no access to USB signals. I don't know if it makes sense to use the analog stereo input (Aux Input) - if you want to use an EarMix, you should get one of the Series III mixers. The 16R is not too expensive and you can connect a 16M directly (CAT5e/CAT6 cable). It doesn't need an AVB switch.
by perrylawrence on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:36 pm
Thanks for your help! Am I correct to assume that even though I connect the mixer to a computer and run StudioOne I can not get an AVB output (with discrete channels)?

My situation is as follows (perhaps you can guide me).
I have minimal input needs but prefer a console. In a live situation I am not comfortable running a software touch screen (old school here and my fears may be unfounded).
I need to send a mix to my host and want to give him a hardware console as well so he can adjust his mix as needed. Not sure if I can do this with a Classic USB.

I've been looking at the 16R but I would need an extra computer with touch screen to run it (another $1K for iPad Pro). Then I could use the EarMix. But trying to save the $1k for elsewhere.

With the classic I can get away with an i3 computer, but with the 16R I'll need an iPad. Or are there other recommendations for control surfaces?

Thanks in advance!
by wahlerstudios on Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:44 am
It's only the Series III mixers and console which can "create" an AVB network. The stageboxes and personal mixers can become part/member of the network, but they can't set it up. If you would connect a EarMix and a NSB stagebox, nothing will happen... ;-) Also a Mac needs a Series III mixer to join the AVB network.

You definitely won't need an expensive iPad Pro. I am still using two iPad2 for some tasks like creating new projects/scenes or mixing an aux, but I have a newer "normal" iPad for live mixing. iPads can show 8 input channels in UC Surface (on all levels), so if your input needs are "minimal", you'll get along well with an iPad or tablet. I understand the reservations regarding "mixing on glass", but if you stay within the 8 channel frame, it's no problem at all (bright sunshine might still be difficult). The smallest Series III console is the grey 32SC or the blue SL16, so looking for a second hand "blue" console might be an option. You'll get a "real" mixer with faders, touchscreen (no computer or tablet needed), AVB, SD Card Multitrack Recording and 10 aux/flex mix outputs.

You can control a Series III console or rack mixer in several ways and all settings stored are "fully recallable" and fully really means completely. If I understand you correctly, you want to use the EarMix on stage to control your mix (monitor?). An EarMix has 16 channels, which must not necessarily "mirror" the input channels. You can use the first 8 channels for inputs and the second 8 channels for returns (effects, tape, talkback etc.) - or any other combination.

I hope this can give you an idea what "Series III" and AVB means. The 16.0.2 is a nice traditional mixer with a few digital features, but you can not connect the two worlds. And I think the 16.0.2 has a problem with "Remote Control". You can't connect the mixer to a router.
by SwitchBack on Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:12 pm
wahlerstudios wrote... Also a Mac needs a Series III mixer to join the AVB network.

That's not entirely true. Newer (TB2) Macs can be configured as proper 16x16 AVB devices which can be included in Series III AVB networks. Still doesn't guarantee that it will work with an EarMix too, which is a Series III AVB slave device (only listen, no audio send).

5 posts
Page 1 of 1