StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I need your input.

I'm looking for a new mixer for my project studio. Since I use Studio One I'm going to stay in the family this time and get a Presonus Mixer so I don't have the headaches like I did last time trying to get things to communicate.

I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on a Presonus Mixer that integrated with Studio One last time because of the cost. Now I see the StudioLive 16.0.2 USB is into a price range that puts it within comfortable reach for me. I also see many used StudioLive 16.0.2 with the Firewire interface for sale at relatively low prices.

What are your thoughts on new USB vs used Firewire? I trust people and buying used is not something I shy away from if I can save money.

I appreciate you sharing your thought with me.

Doc
by SwitchBack on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:03 pm
I'd go for the 16.0.2 USB.

Regarding firewire: Unless you still have a (preferably Mac) computer with a PreSonus compatible firewire port you'll always be struggling with adapter cards/cables and, especially with PC, a lot of fiddling ahead of you to get it to work, if at all.

USB ports are present and much more plug and play on any platform.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:16 pm
You may have noticed that the two SL 16.0.2 use different UC Control/UC Surface versions. The discontinued FireWire model is stuck on Universal Control v1.7.6 (not running on Catalina), while the USB model can use Universal Control v3.1.2.54970 for all and any OS. What will you use in five years...? Will your computer and FireWire still be friends in five or more years?

Another point: The 16.0.2 is a "classic" mixer, which means that its DSP processing is more than 10 years. The mixer is still nice, but if you compare it to a mixer of the Series III family, you will notice drastic differences. Not only moving faders and fully recallability - the processing is different, you get a lot more effects, more flexibility, better sound, and, and, and... Not to forget a better DAW integration and DAW Mode, wich is simply awesome and unique.

You can also have a look at the Faderports or the new ioStation. It might be that the 24c will not stay alone... ;-)
by egor_zaytsev on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 am
Sorry for my English. Is there any difference in sound between the Firewire version and usb? I’ll clarify: In the old version, as far as I know, preamps are not XMAX. Also AD DA converters in the version with usb 118 db, at the expense of the old version I'm not sure about the converters, and frankly the Firewire version sounds bad ...
by lochmiwa on Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 am
From the Presonus press release:

The StudioLive 16.0.2 USB offers the same superb audio quality as the original StudioLive 16.0.2, including 32-bit floating-point processing; XMAX Class A mic preamps; and 24-bit, 48 kHz Burr-Brown digital converters with 118 dB dynamic range.
by SwitchBack on Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:22 am
And note that bad sound can be user error. On the classic SL mixers you have to be conservative on the input levels especially. Have the input meters at -12dBFS max to make sure nothing is clipping!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1