StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
by jamesphillips7 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:15 pm
Same problem, zero output, anywhere. Nothing, even stand-alone with no computer.

This is a brand new board right out of the box. It replaced the first one I got, which had a single inoperative AUX output.

Additionally, would not mount USB stick for firmware update...wonder what else it won't do?

I REALLY wanted to like Presonus, but I think I'm done with them. Broken out of the box, twice, is a non-starter.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:55 am
Sorry, you are writing in the wrong forum. This forum is for the classic mixers and the "no audio" problem is specific. I suppose you are talking of the AI series of StudioLive mixers. Generally the SL AI series is not at all known for inoperative outputs - expecially not "out of the box". The production quality is good, but never say never...

In a case like this I would immediately contact my dealer and let him care for the problem. If he does not want to help you, open a support ticket in your PreSonus account. And please report back in the "StudioLive Ai Consoles" forum. The administrator there is willing to help you with his connections to the different departments of PreSonus.

How experienced are you with digital mixers? Gains, routing...? Is the trim knob on the main outputs (on the back of the mixer) turned up? Are the aux output levels turned up?

There are recommendations concerning the USB stick (check the information in the explanation of how to do a firmware update). It may well be that an USB stick does not fit. This is not necessarily a problem of the mixer.
by jamesphillips7 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:34 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the appropriate section of the forum.

Just to respond to your questions, though by no means an expert or professional, I am well versed in working with digital mixers. The gain and routing are not the problem here as it is properly set.

With regard to the USB I have now tried 8 different sticks, so I'm fairly sure the port/mixer is the problem.

The dealer stepped right up with a return authorization, but I was holding out hope to get it running, as the concept is very nice, but the execution, not so much with this board.

I submitted a ticket on it, but so far no reply, but it has only been a day and a half. Perhaps they have a lot of service tickets to sort through.

I do admit a bit of spleen on my part as this is the second one I have received with issues.

Anyway, thanks for the guidance.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:43 pm
http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210048163-StudioLive-AI-mixer-Firmware-Update-via-USB-thumb-drive-

I recommended this document in another thread today. It was often reported in the past that a fresh formatting of a USB thumb drive did the trick. This document from the Knowledge Base explains procedure and details (see paragraph 5). Whenever a USB drive is used for data transfer to a mixer, the thumb drive should be "fresh"/not used and the data files need to be located at the highest level (not in a folder). I have seen this being discussed in several forums. It's not a PreSonus specific subject.

Hope this helps.
by jamesphillips7 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 pm
Thanks very much, I had seen that article and tried it to no avail. I am highly confident it us a non-functional USB port that is the issue with this board.

The output issue mysteriously resolved itself after I cycled the power several times as prompted while trying to get the USB stick to mount.

Kind of funny, no output, so I try a firmware update to fix that issue, the stick won't mount, and the software prompts me to power cycle the board to get the stick to mount, and voila, the output issue resolves instead....quirky.

Again, thanks or the guidance.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:38 pm
There is nothing to lose, so try the last thing you as user can do to get the board runnnig: a factory reset. A factory reset is a complete re-flash of the mixer firmware and it makes everything work again, unless something is technically not functioning. To perform a factory reset you need to pull the option card out. This is the document from the Knowledge Base:

http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210047893-StudioLive-AI-Mixer-Firmware-Recovery-Factory-Reset

If a factory reset does not help, the board has to be replaced.
by fmpstudios on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:22 pm
jasonroberts wroteSo I just bought a 16.4.2 on Ebay. Hooked it up to universal controller, updated firmware, and installed studio one. Board was working fine, no problems. Powered it down, came home several hours later to continue my studio one session. No audio from any out puts. CR, Headphones, Mains, aux, are all dead silent as if there is a mute on them. Signal from studio one is showing up on the board as input, but no sound. Unhooked the board from the computer and just ran signal through it, nothing on any channel. Not registering input and again all output channels are dead silent without so much as a hiss. Tried factory reset, nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am having this same issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very FRUSTRATING
by wahlerstudios on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:04 pm
May I first correct the last word in my post of Febr. 5. I meant the board has to be repaired, not replaced... Please be aware that " jamesphillips7" was having a problem with a "brand new board", which means a StudioLive AI. The legacy mixers have no USB port...

If I understand you right you are referring to a legacy SL 16.4.2 mixer. There is one problem with the legacy boards, that affects inputs and outputs. Sometimes it is needed to "toggle" the FireWire ID (in the system menu) from 0 to 1 and back AFTER the mixer is connected to a computer (mixer and computer need time to boot fully). This gives priority to the mixer as the "clock" of the system and takes the "mute" way from all inputs and outputs.

Maybe this solves your problem already.
by lance.dodd on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 am
Just a Note to anyone having this problem i fought this for 10 hours back and forth one night
i then in desperation switched off the ac power switch then PULLED OUT THE POWER CORD
let it sit around 5 minutes reconnected power turned on and magic happened all outputs working again so i left a signal running on the chan 1 input for 12 hours with the monitor on and in 12 hours it was still working pretty sure it was a 44.1 <> 48 sampling issue but nothing resolved it short of the full power down and pull out the power cable
by eduardoffilho on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:56 am
Finally I did work!
Thanks! Just remove the power cord and let it out for a couple minutes, then it’s going to be back 🙌🏻🙌🏻 :thumbup:
by keshshakya on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 am
wahlerstudios wroteMay I first correct the last word in my post of Febr. 5. I meant the board has to be repaired, not replaced... Please be aware that " jamesphillips7" was having a problem with a "brand new board", which means a StudioLive AI. The legacy mixers have no USB port...

If I understand you right you are referring to a legacy SL 16.4.2 mixer. There is one problem with the legacy boards, that affects inputs and outputs. Sometimes it is needed to "toggle" the FireWire ID (in the system menu) from 0 to 1 and back AFTER the mixer is connected to a computer (mixer and computer need time to boot fully). This gives priority to the mixer as the "clock" of the system and takes the "mute" way from all inputs and outputs.

Maybe this solves your problem already.

hi STEVE , if you have any idea,, i get volume but low,, i think its gain input issue,,,also no sound from talk back mic,, and 2 track in Rca input ??
thanks also i couldn't locate firewire link,,as everyone is asking to change from 1 to 0 ,, i could't locate that on system ,,
by arroyomusic on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:12 am
I know, I know....this is an OOOOOLD thread, but I had the same issue with my Studiolive 16.0.2. There is virtually no support for this unit anymore, and the only real answers were on this thread. It would play tracks from my Studio One 4 only, via USB. It would not register any input from any of my instruments or mics. So I did what someone suggested. I unplugged it, and left it unplugged over night. Today, I plugged it in, powered it up, and it worked! Weird.

Edit: That was an extremely temporary fix. It is not working again. Getting with Presonus to see if we can figure it out. It is definitely a software issue.

Apple Mac mini 2.6GHz Dual Core / Fender Jimmie Vaughn Strat with Dimarzio Billy Corgan, Pro Track, and Chopper pickups / 20 year old Yamaha Attitude 5 string bass / Boss GT 100 / Studio One Professional v3 / EV vocal mics / StudioLive16.0.2

33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2