StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
51 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3
My 16.0.2 just cut out all of a sudden while I was playing. Had to turn it off and on then my sound came back. However, now my stereo channels 9/10, 11/12,13/14,15/16 left side went out on all of them. I hit input and can see the levels are still registering for my stereo channels but not sound out of the leftside. Was wondering why my keyboard was sounding weak. Only one side was working. Had to link 7/8 together.

Guess it’s time for a new mixer😱😭😭😭
by Riker on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm
Wow this thread dates back years! with similar issues about inputs no longer working. My 16.0.2 inputs died on me about 2 weeks ago. I've been using this unit since shortly after it was available for purchase and never had any issues until about 2 weeks ago. Thing is, everything else on the mixer seems to work fine, I just can't record anything !!

Currently in search for a replacement audio interface for my studio. I actually rented out (for a week) a Presonus Studio 192 Mobile unit and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 unit for testing in my studio to see if one of those could be a replacement for my 16.0.2

Well, the short answer is, NO, they are not. The Studio 192 has no bottom end and sounds very thin, the Scarlett has decent low end, but way to crispy high end, you lose full range sound like in drum toms etc. too much "shimmer" and it takes away too much for my taste.

Playing back 16bit 44.1 CD on all 3 units, the 16.0.2 sounds the best by a WIDE margin, night and day compared the other two in terms of overall sound quality. Songs are more engaging, plain and simple.

Heard the Focusrite Clarett and that sounds much better than the Scarlett, but now looking at Antelope Discrete 8 or Zen Studio+, RME Fireface UFX+, MOTU 828ES and a few others, including Focusrite RedPre 8. I am on PC (Windows 7) so I need USB first and foremost, Thunderbolt second.

So many interfaces, so many options and features at so many price points it's crazy. Sure, if I was a millionaire I could by the best there is for my needs, but I'm not so more research is required. Would appreciate knowing what you guys went to after the demise of your Studio Live.

Cheers,
Stephane

Studio Live 16.0.2, Studio One 2.6, Event Opal monitors, Rode NT1A, Shure SM57, Beta58, 2014 Spector NS-2, Presonus HP60
by mpstar on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:52 pm
Hey, Guys! I had similar problem. After short voltage outage channels 1-12 had no input sound on my 16.0.2 mixer. 13-16 worked fine. Maybe you have similar issue.

Recently the solution was found by user oscarmonsalvo. I decided to check the information from his posts on forum. The problem caused by some voltage regulators feeding Analog-digital converters. Repair will cost you less than a dollar. I wrote a guide of successful repairing my 16.0.2 console - it also can be useful for you. http://musiconnect.ru/publ/device/no-in ... -solution/
by fantomania on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi folks
I own a Presonus studio live 16.0.4 for a couple of years now and have not been using it
because of the "inputs not working" issue. I was looking for another audio interface when I look up this forum after a couple of years to see if Presonus did come up with a solution for this issue.

It seems not but if have seen newer posts about it and followed user mpstar post about replacing the 2 voltage regulators. So I did brought the board to my local radio shack store and asked them to replace them for the 2 recommended ones. Now the Presonus is working again.
I will post if any issues comes up. Thank you mpstar for posting the link.
See attached pics.

Greetings.

Attachments
NEW regulators.png
New regulators.
OLD regulators.png
Old regulators.
by RayIII on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:57 am
I'm going through and answering all of the questions related to this issue, because when it happened to me I realized there was no one (that I could find) who knew what they were talking about.

If you have firewire attached to a computer and shut off the computer while still recording, or have the recording program running, this can happen. Another time it happens, is if you have firewire connected and cut the power to the board. (both of these instances happened on accident with me).

What it appears to do is spike the noise gate on channels 5-16 to their max. If you select those channels and click on "Gate" you'll see red bars sustained at their max level. I have tried to override this issue in a number of ways: under "System" in the noise gate settings; by changing the Firewire Link ID (the "firewire trick"); by doing a full factory reset, uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers on my computer; and everything else I could find on the internet. None of this worked. The ONLY thing I have found that works (other than replacing the voltage regulators, apparently), is to do a full factory reset and then just let it sit for a couple of days. If this happens to you in a live setting, you're screwed.

Basically, when using Firewire with Presonus boards, just make sure you close out ALL of the programs getting information from the board and shut down your computer before removing the firewire cable, then shut off the board last, and this shouldn't happen.

This seems to be a major flaw in at least a couple of the Presonus Boards (16.4.2 in my case). I can't believe they didn't make a fix for this, because I see it all over the internet.

Mac Pro Retina Mid-2014 16GB
macOS Big Sur v.11.2.1
Studio One 5 Artist
Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2
by edgartoribio1 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:09 pm
How did you do the Full Factory Reset? I'm trying with Universal Control but it doesn't work :(

RayIII wroteI'm going through and answering all of the questions related to this issue, because when it happened to me I realized there was no one (that I could find) who knew what they were talking about.

If you have firewire attached to a computer and shut off the computer while still recording, or have the recording program running, this can happen. Another time it happens, is if you have firewire connected and cut the power to the board. (both of these instances happened on accident with me).

What it appears to do is spike the noise gate on channels 5-16 to their max. If you select those channels and click on "Gate" you'll see red bars sustained at their max level. I have tried to override this issue in a number of ways: under "System" in the noise gate settings; by changing the Firewire Link ID (the "firewire trick"); by doing a full factory reset, uninstalling and reinstalling all the drivers on my computer; and everything else I could find on the internet. None of this worked. The ONLY thing I have found that works (other than replacing the voltage regulators, apparently), is to do a full factory reset and then just let it sit for a couple of days. If this happens to you in a live setting, you're screwed.

Basically, when using Firewire with Presonus boards, just make sure you close out ALL of the programs getting information from the board and shut down your computer before removing the firewire cable, then shut off the board last, and this shouldn't happen.

This seems to be a major flaw in at least a couple of the Presonus Boards (16.4.2 in my case). I can't believe they didn't make a fix for this, because I see it all over the internet.
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:23 pm
The Knowledge Base is always worth a visit. ;-) PreSonus web site -> Support -> Knowledge Base -> StudioLive Mixer Family

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... tory-Reset
by richardcrawford on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:17 am
Yeah i had that identical problem. There are 3 five volt regulators on the DSP board inside. you have to change all 3. lm7805. i CHANGED MINE OVER THE WEEKEND AND SO FAR SO GOOD.
by fantomania on Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:35 pm
I have had succes putting it to work after replacing those regulators (L7805) but after a couple of months is was starting to giving me an "overloaded noise" when pushing it to higher db levels.
It was overloading trough the Main and all Aux analog outputs. Strangely the headphone output works fine. Also the 48v Phantom power was not functioning anymore.

We have been pickup band practice again and thought to dust up the 16.0.2 and use it in analog mode, but due to the issue explained I was only able to get a reasonable sound was to set it at a too low db level.

Have seen a couple of video's about this issue and have seen them also replacing capacitors of the soundcard (see pic)

Tomorrow I will drop it at Radio Shack to let them replace all regulators and capacitors shown in the in the pic. For me shipping it for repair is not cost efficiency , so for the ones depending on such tips on how to repair their units is highly appreciated. They declared these units absolute, so what about offering schematics of these models on their website.

Love the 16.0.2 and seeing the plenty viewers that this topic has received that it is a very loved tool.
Will update when I have tested it. Greetings.

Attachments
T7805 pijl.png
by reedingersoll on Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:44 pm
replace the voltage regulators with LM7805. had my 16.4.2 kept freezing up and sent it back to presonus for about $350 total a few years ago. said they replaced the board but they only replaced the voltage regulators with the same lame voltage regulators. 2 years later board freezes again, now prosonus says board out of service and wont fix it. found a guy to actually replace voltage regulators with beefier LM7805. so far no problems a few months in. good luck. dont have to toss a board where no parts can be salvaged. crazy design that they become disposable.
by DJBRocks on Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:57 am
presonus DSP Voltage Regulator.jpg
So I wanted to thank the ones here who have posted, and I wanted to add my experience. I had the same issue with my 16.4.2. with channels 5-16 not working anymore. Years ago this came up. I took the board apart and saw no physical damage. This was at a time (8 years ago?) when I really didn't need so many channels any more and there wasn't much info online, so there it sat. A few weeks ago I put the board back together and all of the channels worked! Brought it home, set everything up, and I was back to only channels 1-4 working. I replaced the voltage regulators on the DSP board per others posts on this forum and YT. and it's been working ever since! Again, thanks to this community!

Here's a link to the regulators.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L22J7F9?ps ... ct_details

And a link to the heatsinks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081GRZB6S?ps ... ct_details

51 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3