StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
53 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Hope someone can help i bought a studio live 16.4.2 had it about 2 days then all of a sudden the inputs 5-16 quit working. Inputs 1-4 work great. I tried everything i can and the only help I have found several users with the same issue but no one has posted a solution anywhere. Here is the trouble shooting i have done so far

1. Made sure the firewire wasn't engaged
2. Tried multiple mics and cables both with 48v on and off they all worked on channels 1-4 not 5-16
3. Uninstalled universal controller and reinstalled it. Using universal controller 1.6.5460 OSX Dec 17,2012 With driver version 4.0.0.14255
4. Installed an older version of UC and older fireware
5. Factory reset the board from both UC and the Board
6. using the board with out firewire
7. Changed the Firewire link ID on the system page 3 currently on "0"

I can play back audio from my DAW (Logic Pro X) with fire wire engaged but will not receive input. When the board works it works great. All inputs worked the other day and left the board on for 24+ hrs and no issues with plugging and unplugging the mics several times, but after i turned the board off and let it rest for about an hour the same issue arose.

Here are my computer specs
Macbook pro OSX 10.9.5 w/
2.4 GHz intel core duo
8gb ram
by SwitchBack on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:05 pm
Seems that you did about all you can do yourself to fix it. One question tho, regarding point 5 on the list: Factory reset from the board sounds a bit strange to me. As far as I know a factory reset is only possible from the little UC window which opens from the blue ball icon in the dock area. What do you mean by "factory reset from the board"?

As for the loss of that many channels at once my guess would be a loose connector somewhere inside the mixer. Still a good thing to try all the firmware related stuff first...
by ericmiller2 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 pm
Yes my mistake the factory reset was from UC only.
by ericmiller2 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:05 pm
FIXED!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here was the problem

the ribbon that connects the preamps to the rest of the board was loose. I guessing only the connections to the first 4 channels was touching explaining how only 4 channels worked.

Here is the fix:

I open the board by
1. removing the 4 allen screws on the top next to the gain knobs (not the ones under the 48v buttons)
2. the 8 phillips head screws on the top and bottom of the back of the board
3. the 10 screws of the bottom front of the board
3. removed the Gain knobs
4. Removed the 32 screws on the side (16 ea side)
5. carefully slid out the back of the board just far enough to look inside without pulling on any wires or connections.

When I got the input rack away, looking from the top of the board down the wide ribbon cable at the bottom center of the rack was not connected, plugged it right back in and working every time. Even gave the board a gentle shake (do not try at home) lol just to make sure. Go to show even the issue is not always a software one. hope this can help any one having the same issue
by robbounds on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:29 am
I know this post is old and I'm glad you got yours working but mine is out. This is the third time this has happened and I don't believe it is a ribbon issue. I was able to do a factory reset on UC to fix it the first time. the next time I simply changed the firewire link ID under the system menu. None of this is working for me now. I'm convinced it is a software of firmware issue. Someone please help! It only happens when connecting my laptop (macbook pro). on every occasion, the board was working fine but not connected to the laptop. I made the connection and turned on the laptop and channels 5-16 quit.
by tylerhowell on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:42 am
We've been having the SAME issues....the most frustrating thing since we invested in 3 of these boards and right at the 3 year mark of owning them they ALL start doing this. I have tried every option without opening the boards up; now I am about to have to do that. We love our studio live boards BUT this is a deal breaker.

Please come up with a PERMANENT solution.
by jojoeady on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 pm
I have two 1642 SL. They are starting to freeze up. If I do a quick reset i might get 4 channels working. If I let it set for a little while it comes back fine. I happened this morning first time in a long time. Had to run service -12 channels that I really need. Just wondering i acadently lunched capture while studio one 2 was running and val running could that have plead a part.
by tylerhowell on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:51 pm
We have removed the back of the boards...made sure the ribbon is plugged in and STILL doesn't work. We are about to switch ALL of our business from Presonus if we can't get a response that fixes the issue. I called and was told it was a software issue...doesn't fix it. I need a permanent fix ASAP!
by lesliecaulfield on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:13 pm
I have the same issue with my 16.4.2 but the way you described opening up the console is not the same as mine as far as the screw setups go.
There are only 5 screw on each side as well as other inconsistancies. I would like to open it up and check out the ribbon but am not feeling good about just unscrewing things and tugging and pulling at other things. Any advice?
by massimod-50 on Wed May 06, 2015 2:48 am
I have the same problem on my Studiolive 16.4.2, no longer work inputs 5-16...
I do not read good news on these pages...
by [email protected] on Thu May 07, 2015 11:01 pm
Heres how to pull a 1642 apart. Far easier than any analogue desk you have ever worked on.

Attachments
PRESONUS dismantle a presonus 1642.pdf
(7.82 MiB) Downloaded 7698 times
by massimod-50 on Fri May 08, 2015 2:29 am
uuuumh ... very interesting. thank you very much
by SPS on Fri May 08, 2015 8:27 am
great!

Studio-live 16-4-2, Firestudio Project, Win-7 laptop with Firewire expresscard, Studio one producer, EV PA system, Sennheiser wireless headsets etc.
by Black Swan on Sun May 31, 2015 12:43 pm
I am having the very same issue. I've owned a 16.0.2 for a few years and all of a sudden, none of my XLR inputs work. The input from my computer via Firewire works with with no problem. And the TRS inputs on channels 13/14 and 15/16 work well, though they do not work on any of the other channels (1-12). I've restored the factory settings. I've even taken it apart to check out the ribbon cable connection mentioned. Nada. Needless to say, I am not happy. PreSonus ! Help!
by afarkas111 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:48 pm
Black Swan wroteI am having the very same issue. I've owned a 16.0.2 for a few years and all of a sudden, none of my XLR inputs work. The input from my computer via Firewire works with with no problem. And the TRS inputs on channels 13/14 and 15/16 work well, though they do not work on any of the other channels (1-12). I've restored the factory settings. I've even taken it apart to check out the ribbon cable connection mentioned. Nada. Needless to say, I am not happy. PreSonus ! Help!

Same issue here, 16.0.2, owned for years, now suddenly no XLR inputs will work, 1-12 dead as a doornail, though the rest of the board is fine.

It can't be a coincidence that we're all running into the same problem now, right?!
by rgaucoin on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 pm
My 16.4.2 is boxed up nice in a flight case with plenty of padding. It's for sale or almost giving it away to a good home. Next step.. boat anchor.
I am back to my old Peavey 14 USB. Never fails, never freezes, built like a tank and almost 10 yrs old.
done with studio Live or anything else in that line.
Good luck with fixing the thing. I quit.
ra
by massimilianolisa on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:33 am
same problem! but presonus does not answer?
by mwright137 on Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:33 pm
This is a user forum. PreSonus employees stop in from time to time but it is not reasonable to expect them to respond to every question here.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by justinfalleaf on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 am
I am having the same problem with my 16.0.2. Just 13/14 and 15/16 are working. Had the problem before as soon as I connected my laptop and tried UC. They came back when I did sp2 vista upgrade then dropped out again. Now, new desktop (windows7) and trying everything i can. At a standstill now. Would love to hear that it's an easy fix.
by vertigo on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:55 am
I have the same problem with my 16.4.2.
Solutions, except for the detached cable?

Sergio
http://www.sergiobrunetti.it
At Home studio: Studio One 5 Pro - Notion 6.7
Windows 10 on Vertex4 SSD - I7 3960x - 32 GB RAM -
2010 MacbookPro 2.66 Ghz 8 Giga RAM -
Presonus Monitor Station and
MOTU: 2408 MK3, 24I, Traveler, MIDI Express XT
At theater: Studio One 4 Pro
Windows10 HP desktop
Presonus Studiolive 1642

53 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3