StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey Guys and girls (have to be PC). I'm a 69 year old analog guy trying to make some sense out of this digital world we live in. Just when I think I got it I find out that I really don't have it. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I am at the tipping point of whether to box up my SL Classic 24.4.2 (even this is old school now) and sell it for pennies on the dollar or waste more unproductive time swapping cables, installing and uninstalling, literally spending many hours reading forums and googling this and that. Thank God for this forum, by the way. Without you I would have thrown this thing in the garbage a long time ago.
My problem today today is trying to get
the Studio Live Remote to work with Universal Control (1.6.5451). I'm in the process now pf trying to to something permission to do something. I kind of understand the logistics of certain procedures, but seem to get caught up in countless versions and driver's. Now I read that you must download the 1.7.4.5458 version but there is some issue with a 1.6...... driver !!!!!!
My intent and use for all of this junk is in a home studio to record some cool fusion stuff, so that it's listenable. I am currently telling a bunch of musicians hanging around smoking weed to hold on, I think I have it. And this remote is to basically set aux mix levels for in-ear monitors. I would like to use this in addition to Studio One Remote to minimize trips to the control room.
So my big question here is does anyone have a setup process that will work or know of a good tutorial on this solve my issues. I knd of getting sick of looking at a dark gray SLRemote screen.
Thanks again everyone at the Presonus Forum.
You guys and girls are amazing.

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by capnkurf on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am
Don't know if this pertinent but I forgot to mention that I am using a iPad 2 (9.3.5) with Studio Live remote as my remote device. Thanks again......... George

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by wahlerstudios on Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm
The download page has a lot of information for you (https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-24.4.2/downloads) and I would like to draw your attention to the "Universal Control 1.7.6 Release Notes", which say:

start quote
24.4.2: Firmware Version 1.0, build 195
Driver Version: 4.2.1.46437
Universal Control Builds: PC - 1.7.6.5884, Mac - 1.7.6.5875

Universal Control 1.7.6 Officially Supports the following Operating Systems:
Windows 7 SP1 + Platform Update
Windows 8.1 (Windows 8 users should update to 8.1)
Windows 10
OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
OS X 10.12 (Sierra)
OS X 10.13 (High Sierra)

Current App versions compatible with this Universal Control release:
SL Remote 1.6.5 for iPad
QMix 1.4.5 for iPhone and iPod Touch
end quote

I hope you can get everything together. It is very important to use matching versions of firmware and software. An iPad 2 is still ok. I am using two of them with my equipment without any problem.

The "dark gray SLRemote screen" indicates that you have no permission to access control. If I remember it right permissions are set in VSL and I think the manual (StudioLive Classic Software Reference Manual English, see download page) describes everything very well. Have a look a section 3.7.9. "Remote Device Permissions".

Good luck!
by sjc193 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:40 am
First question, do you have a computer connected with Firewire? Does Universal Control and Virtual StudioLive work on that computer?

The iPad will never work until those are working first, so that's why I ask.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by capnkurf on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:11 am
Hi Steve,,, Yes I do have a FireWire connection and the Universal control does work on my MacBook Pro. So are you saying that I have to run Virtual Studio Live on my MacBook , as well. Pardon my ignorance here as I stated I am an analogue guy, which is kind of like a "snake caught in a wagon wheel rut"
Thanks for your help.

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by capnkurf on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:13 am
Thanks for your reply..... Greatly appreciated
So I would just like to give you an update on my progress with this issue.
I downloaded the updated version of Universal Control (1.7.....that was in the link you sent) on to my Mac Book Pro (10.8.5). I checked out the version in about and oddly enough the version changed from 1.6.5451 to 1.6.5875, not 1.7..... Now my original version did work but would not recognize my IPad in the setup remote devices. Well to my surprise the UC does recognize my IPad. But now for some strange reason the SL-Remote will not open. What happens is, sometimes it will not show an available device and sometimes it will but will not be able to connect (the little wheel keeps rotating). And then sometimes I can't even open the demo. It appears that the either the IPad is locked up for some reason or something is going on with the app. What could be causing this lockup. I was thinking that maybe the router, but again the UC is recognizing my IPad. What other situations could be preventing me from getting a remote operation of my Universal Control. Also you mentioned you use (2) IPads in your studio. Is one for SL-Remote and one for Studio One remote ?
Again thanks so much for taking the time to help. ....George

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by wahlerstudios on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:18 am
It's a little difficult to understand, but you should always keep in mind that the classic mixers have their own "ecosystem". It is called Universal Control, but it's a totally different version of it... You can not use UC Surface nwitrh classic mixers, it must be VSL and the iPad also has an own version. My "classic" times are too long ago, so I can't really help further. I just wanted to start the help campaign...

Actually I use three iPads. One old and the new one on stage for controlling monitors and InEars, and the second old one at FOH for Smaart, UC Surface and Studio One Remote - depending on what I need to do/control/see. Unfortunately with a CS18AI I can't have FireWire at FOH, so I need a "workaround" and this does it very well...

;-)

Attachments
DSCN7979_800.jpg
by sjc193 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:52 am
OK, you're close I think. Everything I write below is from memory several years ago. . .

Yes you have to have VSL open on the Mac for the iPad to work. VSL is not just Universal Control, but open the actual mixer so you can see all the faders and everything (that's VSL)

Mac must be connected to the router on the LAN input of the Router.

iPad must be connected to the Network through the router (of course, I'm sure you know that)

Make sure you are NOT using SL Remote AI, it has to be just SL Remote for iPad.

Make sure you give the iPad permissions in the VSL program on the Mac, seeing it is not enough, you have to click on it in the setup page of VSL and set that iPad to FOH.

Try rebooting everything, sometimes it helps to boot the router first, then the mixer, then the computer, start VSL, then boot the iPad.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by capnkurf on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 pm
I am still not there. So I had gotten another Ipad2 and tried running the SL-Remote app on that to see if the problem exits in a faulty iPad. Well this doesn't seem to be the case.
So let me explain what is going on here and in the order in that I proceed.
Start the SL mixer , then my MacBook pro. I then turn on Ipad2 and check that both iPad and MacBook pro are connected to Netgear 2.4 GHz wireless G router. Next I turn on the Universal Control on the MacBook. I now check con menection to SL mixer by moving faders and other functions and all are reflected in the VSL. Everything thing seems to be ok until this point. Next I open the SL-Remote on the Ipad and proceed to setup on VSL and in Remote devices I see that my iPad is listed. Go back to iPad and see the Studio Live Mixer listed with IP address and click on the connect button where everything ends. The little progress wheel turns and will eventually stop and therefore ... No connection. The iPad listing in remote devices is removed
And for some reason the IP address
under the SL mixer does not remain the same on different attempts to connect.
So my question is what am I not doing here to get a remote access to VSL with my iPad ? Thanks for your help.

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by SwitchBack on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 am
Odd. I still have a classic 16.4.2 so I may be able do do some testing for you after the weekend. Until then there’s something you may want to try yourself:

It is not recommended but in order to exclude a variable (the router) you can create a wifi network from your MBP. In a pinch this setup used to run just fine for me so it’s worth a try. ‘Create Network...’ is in the MBP wifi menu. Once you created the network you can log on to it from the iPad.

So in this setup your MBP will only have wired connections to the mixer (firewire), the power supply and nothing else. Same for the mixer. Once VSL is up and running on the Mac and SL Remote (no AI!) is running on the iPad you should be able to find the iPad and give it permissions from VSL.
by capnkurf on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am
Switchback.... Thanks for the reply and heads-up. Will definitely try this method and let you know how I made out.

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by sjc193 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm
Ya, I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but you have to give permission to the iPad in VSL or it will not connect. Just seeing the iPad name in VSL is not enough, you have to give it permission. Problem is I can't remember exactly what you click on to do that. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by SwitchBack on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:49 am
I had a quick look at good ol’ VSL and there’s something you may have missed, because it isn’t too obvious: When you open the Setup tab notice that the window that opens in the top half of the screen has its own independent horizontal scroll bar, about half way down the screen. Scroll that window to the left because the permissions area (and some options for talkback and linking) live in the righthand area of that screen. If all goes well with the networking and the apps then your iPad should show up in this area, with buttons for permissions.

NB. This scrolling is also available for the other VSL tabs. I wonder how many people never noticed... ;)
by SwitchBack on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:11 am
OK, I did some testing.

Unfortunately I couldn't get SL-Remote to find the mixer by using 'create network' from the Mac. Somewhere between Mountain Lion and El Capitain Apple decided to put some curfews on this feature. VSL could see the iPad (running SL-Remote) but the iPad couldn't see the mixer. Probably it needs a clever setting somewhere but I couldn't find it. So no luck there.

But with a separate router everything immediately worked as it should. Using a UTP cable between the Mac and a router LAN port I configured the router to have a WiFi name and password. From the iPad I logged on to the router. With the mixer 'firewired' to the Mac UC found the mixer and VSL started automatically. Once SL-Remote was running on the iPad VSL could see the iPad and the iPad could see the mixer and connect to it. After setting the permissions for the iPad from VSL (to FOH, but limiting permissions to an Aux worked fine too) the iPad had control over the mixer, all settings reflected on all surfaces (the physical position of the faders on the mixer only after the 'locate' procedure obviously). No issues whatsoever. Maybe you set it up differently?

How I set it up:
- MacBook Pro on OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitain), running Universal Control 1.7.6 (5875)
- UTP cable from the MBP to a LAN port of a TP Link AC1750 dual band router
- FW400-to-FW400 cable from the MBP to a SL16.4.2 on firmware 1.50a, build 190
- iPad Air on iOS 11.2.6, running SL-Remote rev. 1.6.5848, logged on to the AC1750
by SwitchBack on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am
So... does it work?

15 posts
Page 1 of 1