StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I currently have my SL24.4.2 connected to my MacBook Pro (2012) OSX 10,
.8.5 and running Studio One 3 Pro as a DAW. I have had issues, in the past, with this setup and thanks to this invaluable forum have been able to muddle my way through most issues. My main obstacle here is that I am an old analogue guy In a digital world. Which is probably 90% of my issues.
I had some problems with FireWire connectivity and decided to get a replacement/spare FireWire 400 cable. Would be nice to have a spare, just in case. Well try to find a FireWire 400 cable. Not that easy.
So my question here is can I connect my SL24.4.2 to a window based PC/laptop with StudioOne 3, via FireWire port to USB and have it work properly. Wasn't really looking to buy a new mixer and computer right now, as my SL24.4.2 seems to be relatively good condition. And I do have a window based laptop and PC and semm to be more comfortable with the Windows OSX.
This Presonus Forum and all who participate are amazing ...... Thanks ... George

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by matthewgorman on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am
FW to USB connectors don't work for audio. I am seeing FW 400 cables on Amazon, have you checked there?

https://www.amazon.com/GearIT-Firewire- ... dpSrc=srch

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by capnkurf on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 pm
Thanks Matt I'll give it a try. So are you saying that there is no way of connecting a SL24.4.2 to a PC or laptop with Windows OS ?

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6
by lockbody on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 pm
George,

For a PC, I would think you would just need a decent Firewire card. A laptop would need to have a built-in Firewire port, and from what I've read, not every FW port will work 100%.

That said, what issues are you having with your MacBook Pro? I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro and run my 24.4.2 into S1 3.5 with no issues with a good quality FW cable.

If it's a performance issue, you can always upgrade that year MB Pro. I upgraded mine to 16gb RAM, and a solid-state drive (both from Crucial), and can run most of my 24bit/44.1k projects at 32 samples @7ms round trip latency. This is with plugins loaded, as well.

Once I start adding mix buss plugins, etc, I might bump up the samples to 1024, but I've got absolutely no issues, for example, recording twelve tracks at once, every one of them with Plugin Alliance SSL Console E and Waves Abbey Road Reverb on the FX buss. I've got some right now at twenty plus tracks all with plugins, and I'm still tracking at 32 samples.

Upgrade that MacBook Pro. Definitely cheaper than buying a new PC.

Bob

Studio One 3.5 Professional
StudioLive 24.4.2 “Classic”
Faderport 1
MacBook Pro mid-2012/High Sierra/16g/512g SSD
Plugin Alliance and Waves plugins
by capnkurf on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:02 am
Thanks for the great advice. Like I stated in my post, most of my problems stem from my analog roots. Since all my components work, upgrading them is the logical thing to do. Thanks again for your help.

Studio Live 24.4.2
Mackie DL32R
Windows 11 Rack mount PC
Studio One v. 6.1
Notion 6

5 posts
Page 1 of 1