StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi.
Sorry for my english.

I have a question and at the same time big request to you guys.

I have StudioLive 16.4.2 mixer.
In a few days I wanted to buy (unfortunately expensive) hardware tube compressor and tube equalizer.
I wanted to do final mastering with this new gear through 'insert' connection. All previously prepared tracks coming from DAW - Cubase 9.5 (in my case e.g. track 1 and 2 - firewire).
But now, seven years after buying mixer I see, that no signal goes out through 'Insert' when signal comes from DAW (yes, I see on diagram that it is correct).

So...what can I do? What is the other solution?
I need somethig like 'insert' on main output.

Can you explain me what to do, to pass the main signal from DAW through hardarwe comp and eq?
Perhaps inside Cubase 9.5 are some solutions, some inserts, external effects etc.?
I must of course send 100% of the signal through hardware, no only portion from AUX send etc.

Maybe someone has a similar configuration?

Please tell me, step by step, how to connect/configure in DAW everything?

It must be possible, if no, now this mixer will be useless for me :(

Greets
by SwitchBack on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:45 am
You have to use your mixer’s outputs.

You can return a track from your DAW to the mixer, say to channel 1 (set to firewire input). Then in the mixer route the signal to just one output, say aux 1. The aux 1 output goes to your tube compressor/eq. The output from the tube compressor/eq goes to a mixer input. Note that this can also be channel 1 again, because the mixer’s analog channel inputs are always sent to the computer. Even if the channel is set to firewire input.

So with the tube compressor/eq connected like that your DAW can send a track to mixer return 1 and get the mixer’s send 1 compressed/eq’ed signal back on a different track.

Hope that helps.
by maciej81 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 pm
Thanks for reply.
"Then in the mixer route the signal to just one output, say aux 1" - where is it?
Do you think about encoders where can set send levels for each channel to the effects processor?
[AUX Select]-->[Mix]-->[Encoders value]
I tried these steps with some other fx now, also from this topic:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11513&p=68582&hilit=studiolive+insert#p68582
and it does not work, nothing will change.
I'm doing something wrong.

I have connected all the time many external effects, mainly reverbs and delays to AUX input and output, but if we say about compressors, I hope that you are talking about something else, not about ordinary "sends".
by SwitchBack on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 pm
I’ll try to give you a step-by-step:
- from your DAW send track X to mixer channel 1
- on the mixer engage the firewire button on channel 1
- then select channel 1 and make sure that none of the assign buttons are lit
- then select aux output 1, press ‘mix’, and turn only the encoder for channel 1 up
- then connect a patch cable between aux output 1 and channel 1
- then connect your compressor to the channel 1 insert
- and in your DAW route the signal from mixer channel 1 to a new track Y

This will make the signal run from track X to the mixer’s channel 1 digital input, to the mixer’s aux 1 output, via the patch cable to the mixer’s channel 1 analog input, to the mixer’s channel 1 insert, to the compressor and back to the mixer’s channel 1 insert, to the mixer’s channel 1 digital send, to track Y in your DAW where you can record (in real time) a compressed version of track X.
by maciej81 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:46 pm
Yes, now it seems to be logical.
When I did exactly as you wrote, there was no signal and no sound in my room and in Cubase.
It is strange.
But I connected AUX 1/2 OUT to other channels (15,16), then connected effects through insert to this channels and it works!
I hope that the signal does not lose its quality and dynamics, when he goes this way.

Now I can spend a few thousand dollars on new gear (it is going to bankruptcy) :)

Thanks for the tips and clue!

5 posts
Page 1 of 1