StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
1 post
Page 1 of 1
...a long story to get here, but after leaving auto-update mistakenly activated on my iPad, I've had to upgrade to a Macbook Pro to gain an OSX higher than Lion so it could handle UC 1.7.6 which is required for SL1.6.5 on my iPad - following so far?

But the part I really wanted to share is that I regrettably found it far from straight-forward to install UC 1.7.6 with High Sierra is (see Presonus notes in the link below).

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -OSX-10-13

The first time you try to install UC 1.7.6, the increased security of High Sierra gives you a prompt box 'system extension blocked' - I stupidly clicked 'OK', but should have clicked 'open security preferences' instead which would takes you to a 'security preferences' pop-up where you can accept the extensions and all should be cool.

However, if you clicked 'OK' it seems to load UC, but does not in fact load the dll files so when you launch a restart, your device (a 16.0.2 board in my case), could not be seen.

Here's where it gets more tricky...

So uninstall and reinstall? Yes, that's a good idea, but once the prompt 'system extension blocked' has been seen first time, it never reappears...

So the above notes explain how to access it via System Preferences - Security & Privacy, but still no reference to blocked system software to be seen?

I nearly gave up after numerous uninstalls/re installs, but then tried the System Preferences routine after install, as per above, but BEFORE the restart. This revealed the 'blocked system software' which I approved and hey presto, a valid install of UC was achieved with comms established across all devices.

Worth noting that the file only remains available for approval for 30-mins each install so don't hang about.

In fairness to Presonus, I did find a support reply where the above principle was acknowledged, inc. the 30-mins timeout (by Apple), together with a desire to improve things in the future. But no mention of having to access/approve the file after install, but BEFORE the restart - a critical point for me and maybe others?

Apologies if the above is hard to understand, but wanted to share this learning as best I could for others trying to use UC 1.7.6 with High Sierra.

I really should be playing my guitar and learning new songs, instead of honing my IT skills... :reading:

Andrew...

1 post
Page 1 of 1