StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
after not using my 16.4.2 for 3 years i finally connected it to my new pc using the same old firewire card i've been using for years. mixer firmware version is 1.5. the new version of UC won't connect to it. can't find UC version 1.5 to update my mixer firmware and get this thing talking the pc again. anybody have any ideas?
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:19 pm
https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-16.4.2/downloads

This is the download page of your mixer. Select your OS and click "Show/hide all versions..." The latest Universal Control for the "classic" mixers is v1.7.6, the latest firmware is available only in your PreSonus account (https://my.presonus.com/auth/login).

Hope this helps.
by singtall on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:42 pm
I tried that and the mixer still shows not linked. The PC shows the firewire card but no mixer. I read that I should be using UC 1.5 with this mixer firmware. I can't find that version download link anywhere.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 pm
It all depends on the firmware installed on your mixer. Firmware, Universal Control and VSL need to have matching versions. The latest for the 16.4.2 this is "Firmware Version 1.50a, build 190" and "Universal Control Build (PC)" is 1.7.6.5884". "Firmware Version 1.50a, build 188" is needed for Universal Control 1.6, and "Firmware version 1.50a, build 184" belongs to Universal Control 1.5.3.1.

"Universal Control" here means the driver, the control software is "Virtual StudioLive" (VSL). I would recommend to check the firmware of the mixer first and then investigate, which version Universal Control fits to the OS you are using.

You can find all older UC versions on the download page, when you select "Windows Vista SP2 32-bit" and click on "Show/hide all versions..." Then you see Universal Control v1.7.1, v1.7, v1.6, v1.5.3.1 and v1.2.2715. Please have a look at the "release notes" for more information. VSL should be included in the downloads (https://www.presonus.com/products/Virtual-StudioLive/downloads).
by robbounds on Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:57 pm
I know this is an old post but I'm having the same issue. I do realize the StudioLive 16.4.2 mixer is discontinued but this is what I have and I can't get the mixer to connect to a PC running windows 10 version 21H1, OS Build 19043.2193. The Firmware version for he mixer is 1.50a, build 190 and I've installed the matching version of UC Control version 1.7.2 on the PC and it still will not connect. It does show up in the device manager but is flagged as having an issue. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall many times to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
by wahlerstudios on Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 pm
1.7.6 is the latest and last version of Universal Control, not 1.7.2. You may want to check this article in Knowledge Base:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... ow-in-2023
by robbounds on Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:19 am
it is but the firmware of the mixer has to match the drivers loaded on the PC and until I can get them to communicate, I can't upgrade to the latest versions.
by SwitchBack on Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:44 am
Mixer firmware 1.50a, build 190 goes with UC version 1.7.6. So for your firmware to match UC (and the drivers in it) you have to update your computer with the UC 1.7.6 version found on the PreSonus website.

Doesn't take away from firewire no longer being supported on newer computers. So all your efforts can come to nothing if your computer/OS is too new. Also take a close look at the Firewire hardware requirements (in the link WahlerStudios posted) specifically about cables and the firewire chipsets.
by ericvercelletto on Mon May 01, 2023 6:06 am
Hi folks,

sneaking in with the same issue. I have been trying to have my SL to be recognized by my PC for months now, with no success
my FW 1394 card has been validated by presonus Tech Support, and I have a brand new DSP installed.
Basically, after reading this post, my main issues seems to be the SL firmware version which is 1.02 (yes, very old).
UC 1.7.6 can see the SL but refuses too upgrade the firmware(expected as per reading above).
UC. 1.5 says virtually the same (but FW upgrade crashes)
UC 1.2 sees nothing and the drivers immediately show as 'hidden drivers'

I though there may exist an install CD delivered with the hardware (in 2009) but cannot find it.

Any idea ?
I tried the 3 versions of UC on windows 7, windows 8.1 and win10

stupid question: would windows edition 'PRO' or 'Home' have anyinfluence ?

Thanks
Eric
by SwitchBack on Mon May 01, 2023 7:10 am
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

First off: Are you sure you want to go down this path? Support for firewire all but ended, compatibility between firewire devices and new operating systems ended, supply of spare parts ended... So you will be on your own, stuck with an older computer and an older operating system. Can be fine (I still have a 16.4.2 plus old laptop to lend) but it's a bit of a dead end.

Having said that, I seem to remember that you couldn't upgrade from FW 1.02 straight to 1.50a. You had to install a specific intermediate FW version first (something one wouldn't notice when keeping the mixer up to date). But I can't remember which intermediate version that was. 1.34 maybe? And you had to do it from the version of UC that went with that FW version.

NB. Here's a link to a list of knowledge base articles etc.
by ericvercelletto on Wed May 03, 2023 3:53 am
Hi Swich,

thanks for the warning about end of support. I am aware of this, but I agree this is important to notice.

I want to have the SL work as a driver for DAW software, although it has been purchased long ago. It has to work!

The current diag is that on WIN10:
- v1.7.6 works, displays the 16.4.2 window until it finds a very old firmware and fails at upgrading (expected as per other posts you mentionned), sending an error message(upgrade failed or so)
- V1.5 works, displays the 16.4.2 window until it asks to upgrade FW, then crashes
- V1.2 starts, does not how any window and, in the win device manager, firestudio drivers get hidden.

I understand from the other posts that I need a lower UC version (1.1 or less ) that I don't have anymore and that do not seem findable in the internet.
by wahlerstudios on Wed May 03, 2023 5:48 am
This Knowledge Base article has "everything you need to know in 2023".

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... ow-in-2023
by SwitchBack on Wed May 03, 2023 10:36 am
ericvercelletto wroteHi Swich,

thanks for the warning about end of support. I am aware of this, but I agree this is important to notice.

I want to have the SL work as a driver for DAW software, although it has been purchased long ago. It has to work!

The current diag is that on WIN10:
- v1.7.6 works, displays the 16.4.2 window until it finds a very old firmware and fails at upgrading (expected as per other posts you mentionned), sending an error message(upgrade failed or so)
- V1.5 works, displays the 16.4.2 window until it asks to upgrade FW, then crashes
- V1.2 starts, does not how any window and, in the win device manager, firestudio drivers get hidden.

I understand from the other posts that I need a lower UC version (1.1 or less ) that I don't have anymore and that do not seem findable in the internet.
I found this in the release notes of UC v1.5.2:
"If your StudioLive 16.4.2 has not yet been updated using Universal Control v1.0 or later, you must first install the release version (v1.2) and update your StudioLive’s firmware before installing and running Universal Control 1.5.2."

So it's key that you get UC v1.2 properly installed and running, maybe on an older laptop with Windows 7 and an Express card slot (for an approved firewire card), update the mixer from there, and then continue updating to the latest version from your current computer.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1