StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I bought my 24.4.2 used when getting back into recording. Decent, clean, utility mic pres, lots of auxes for headphone mixes, good conversion, and being able to record at 16 samples in S1... What's not to like? :D

But recently, I've got some faders with minds of their own. The right side of a stereo pair will jump around between zero and max, and three others are just at max all the time. These are spread over the first fifteen faders, so it sounds like the first two fader banks.

If I check "Default to fader locate", which is what I do, I can control the faders for my control room mix, but as soon as I touch any other button on the mixer, the four faders shoot right up to max. Leaving it unchecked lets me change other settings without the faders moving, but then my CR mix gets wonky (sorry to get all technical). Also, unchecked, the aforementioned right fader doesn't go to max, but instead settles around -10.

The problem exists whether I'm plugged into my Mac via firewire, or not, and I've tried different FW cables.

I've tried cleaning the problem faders, first with compressed air, then with Dexoit Fader F5, with no change.

And yes, I know I can just skip the bad channels. I'm just hard-headed and like everything to work as it's supposed to. Also, one day I might want to move to the Quantum, and a defective digital mixer doesn't seem like an easy sale on the used market.

I'm on the latest UC 1.7 for Mac High Sierra, and the 24.4.2 has the last firmware update.

I've read a ton of posts on this problem, but there are opinions raging from always bad faders, to power supply, to the FW cable, the FW chipset. Is there any point in trying anything else other than buying two new fader banks at Full Compass? I am handy with a soldering iron and could also replace the individual faders.

My only concern with replacing the banks is, that due to their age, I could see a repeat of the problem with the replacement faders, possibly worse. I understand the AI fader banks are better, but I haven't contacted Compass to see which version they carry.

Thanks

Bob

Studio One 3.5 Professional
StudioLive 24.4.2 “Classic”
Faderport 1
MacBook Pro mid-2012/High Sierra/16g/512g SSD
Plugin Alliance and Waves plugins
by wahlerstudios on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 pm
Forget DIY. It's much too complicated (IF you ever get replacement parts) and you need to screw the mixer together again after the work is done. Again it is to recommend to send the mixer to the hospital and ask, how much a repair will cost. Then you can decide if it's worth it, or not. You will need the original transport box to send the mixer to the doctors in Baton Rouge. If the repair is too expensive, you have several options:

1) Get another second hand SL 2442 as replacement. This allows you to use everything in the way you are used to.

2) Get a SL 2442AI or SL 3242AI as an upgrade. These machines do not only have better faders (constructed in a different way), but also much better preamps, better processing (full 4-band parametric EQ), 2 more FX and this and that. Last, but not least, you can use the new UC Surface with these mixers, which is quite an improvement compared to the "classic" software. Just one thing, because you are using FireWire: Do NOT go further than UC 1.8 for your computer, because UC 2.x has a serious lag in the display of signals (audio is not concerned). On an iPad you can use UC Surface 2.x, because they all still share the same firmware version.
by roblof on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm
It looks like the retailers are phasing out the Ai-mixers so act quickly is you find one.

wahlerstudios wrote2) Get a SL 2442AI or SL 3242AI as an upgrade.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by lockbody on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:28 pm
Just to follow up, Full Compass has both the eight and seven fader banks in stock. They also have the individual faders in stock, but while my soldering skills are decent enough, my DE-soldering skills are obviously lacking, as after 15 minutes I hadn't got one fader loose when trying to as a test last weekend.

Anyhoo, I was home sick today so I dove in and swapped the two offending fader banks out. For those that are considering this, you need the eight fader bank for the first eight faders, and the seven fader bank for all the others.

One hour later I've got all my fader back working as they should.

Bob

Studio One 3.5 Professional
StudioLive 24.4.2 “Classic”
Faderport 1
MacBook Pro mid-2012/High Sierra/16g/512g SSD
Plugin Alliance and Waves plugins
by Blakpearlz on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:24 pm
I'm having the same issue on S1 2 and 3 but with regard to my master fader. just purchased and installed a behringer x touch to resolve the issue that I thought was caused by my Akai MPK249 or my Axiom Pro 49. none of my other DAW's faders exhibit this behavior.

Studio One 2 and 3, FL Studio 20, Mixbus 32c, Logic Pro x
Win 10 i7-4790 3.60ghz 16 gig ram 64 bit 1TB hard drive
21.5" iMac with Retina 4K display - 3.0GHz Intel Core i5 - 8GB RAM - 1TB hard drive

Studio/Live Setup
FL Studio 12, Studio One 2, Cubase 7, Ableton Live 9
i7 4th gen, 16g ram, 1tb internal, 3 ext. 1tb HD, 2 x 23" touchscreen monitors.
NI Maschine, NI S49, Akai MPK249 and MPD32 keyboard controllers
Alesis Alpha 112, Behringer Xenyx 1622 USB mixer, Presonus Monitor Station, Audiobox 22vsl
Fender Mustang III V.2, Digitech RP360, Yamaha HS5, HS8, M-Audio BX8 studio monitors
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster, Fender “Vintage Mod” Squire Stratocaster
Agile 3100 M, Xaviere XV-900, SX Furrian, Yamaha A Series Elect/Acoustic

5 posts
Page 1 of 1