StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
hi, i'm using a studiolive 16.4.2 in my band. it's a great console and we have several channels left unused. not enough for a live mixing-drums-with-mic scenario, though. we have been playing with e-drums for ages.

i know that it is possible to extend the studiolive with a firestudio panel for recording purposes. but can i control these extra channels with my remote app on the ipad??? without the mixing functions it will be rather useless and we would need to buy a bigger console :?
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:36 am
If you chain another device to the console, the ipad app will not see them. You would only see those inputs available in recording software (other than Capture).

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by dominicjohnrack on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 am
good info, thanks!

any suggestions on how to solve this problem (other than buying a bigger mixer)?

is there any product that allows digital mixing via ipad? we could do a submix for the drums and feed that into our main mixer, i guess. just like the e-drums. i still would like to have some sort of remote control over this submix in case anything needs to be tweaked during the gig.
by sjc193 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 am
I have used a 16.0.2 to submix drums (via iPad) into a 16.4.2 before. It works. . . but then I bought a RM32, much easier.

I believe you can also connect 2 16.4.2 mixers together and they kind of become 1 32 channel mixer but you only get the AUXes from one of them. And I don't think the SL Remote brings them together so you have to switch back and forth between mixers (or have two iPads) just like I did with the 16.0.2 submix.

If you like mixing on the iPad I highly recommend the RM 32, it's getting much cheaper, maybe real cheap on the used market possibly too. Sounds a lot better than the 16.4.2 too.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:00 am
There is no other option, except buying a new/bigger mixer. What you are looking is called "cascading", which was introduced with the SL AI family of mixers (up to 64 input channels and 14 auxes). Cascading is no option for the three "classic" StudioLive mixers.

If you don't need physical faders, go for one of the rack mixers. If FireWire is an option for you (Mac), get a second hand RM32AI or RML32AI rack mixer. Theses mixers have 32 input channels and 16 auxes. Remember that you will need a router plugged directly to the mixer for wireless control (up to 14 mobile devices). If you later want to add physical faders, get a CS18AI controller and an AVB switch. You can also cascade two RM mixers (64 input channels and 16 auxes) via AVB, alternatively you have the option to set up a network via Dante.

USB recording is possible with the Series III rack mixers. The SL 24R and SL 32R might be of interest, but cascading, 96 K and Dante are no option.
by SwitchBack on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:38 am
wahlerstudios wroteThere is no other option, except buying a new/bigger mixer. What you are looking is called "cascading", which was introduced with the SL AI family of mixers (up to 64 input channels and 14 auxes). Cascading is no option for the three "classic" StudioLive mixers

This is not correct. You can cascade up to 3 classic SL16.4.2s into one big mixer. But as Steve already mentioned, that will not increase the number of independent auxes you'll have. The slave mixers will have auxes with the local channels in them (sort of a submix of the master aux) but only the master will have all channels available to all 6 auxes. For the actual Subs you get the choice between keeping them local or having all submixes aggregate into the master Subs. The FXes will stay local (so with 2 mixers you'll have 2 for each mixer).
by wahlerstudios on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 am
Oh well, it seems I have forgotten this detail already. ;-) I should have checked the product page. It still says there: "...daisy-chain two StudioLive 16.4.2s to form a 32x4x2 performance and recording console for mid-sized shows and events".

Does this also apply to VSL and Smaart and "StudioLive Remote for iPad"? Is it possible to mix 32 input channels on an iPad? This was the second and obvioulsy more important question. Dominic wants to be able to control the extra channels by an iPad. If I remember it right for cascaded AI consoles it meant to use two riders in UC Surface. The mixers never "merged", like the RM mixers do when they are cascaded via AVB.
by sjc193 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:52 am
wahlerstudios wroteOh well, it seems I have forgotten this detail already. ;-) I should have checked the product page. It still says there: "...daisy-chain two StudioLive 16.4.2s to form a 32x4x2 performance and recording console for mid-sized shows and events".

Does this also apply to VSL and Smaart and "StudioLive Remote for iPad"? Is it possible to mix 32 input channels on an iPad? This was the second and obvioulsy more important question. Dominic wants to be able to control the extra channels by an iPad. If I remember it right for cascaded AI consoles it meant to use two riders in UC Surface. The mixers never "merged", like the RM mixers do when they are cascaded via AVB.

Yes I believe it's the same with the classic mixers cascaded. You have to switch between mixers in SL Remote, they do not become one 32 mixer in the user interface. But the good news is that you "Can" control every channel from the iPad and when cascaded you can send any of 32 channels to the master mixers auxes and subgroups and mains.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by SwitchBack on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:15 pm
wahlerstudios wroteIt still says there: "...daisy-chain two StudioLive 16.4.2s to form a 32x4x2 performance and recording console for mid-sized shows and events".
Yeah, 2 is probably the max for remote control. With 3 you lose the recording capability which probably means that you cannot connect to a computer anymore (so no remote control either).
by wahlerstudios on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:48 am
The manual is your friend... It says in section 5.5 "Cascading Mixers": "A StudioLive mixer can be expanded to make a larger console. Two StudioLive 24.4.2s or three StudioLive 16.4.2s can be cascaded together, using a FireWire cable, to create a single 48-channel console. Because of the limitations of FireWire, you cannot connect a computer to either of these configurations; however, you can cascade a FireStudio Mobile or FireStudio Project with a single StudioLive mixer to add more recording inputs.You can also cascade two StudioLive 16.4.2s to create a 32-channel console with full recording capability, playback, and VSL control."

I owned both mixers (SL 2442 and SL 1642) and I remember that I never had a closer look into this subject, because I knew that my mixers could not be cascaded. Anyway, real "cascading" was/is possible only with the RM rack mixers. 64 input channels and 16 aux mixes in one "big" mixer are no fun to mix on an iPad, but it works... ;-)

10 posts
Page 1 of 1