StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just got an iMac (Nov 2012 version) with fresh install of IOS High Sierra to use as my music computer, specs are as follows:

Computer:
iMac (21.5 inch, Late 2012)
Processor: 2.7GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512MB

Hardware:
Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 (Firmware Version 1.50a, build 190)
Presonus FireStudio Project

Setup:
StudioLive mixer is connected to the iMac via Firewire 400-800 cable to official apple thunderbolt-to-firewire 800 adapter. Now, here is where it gets interesting. I would like to daisy chain my FireStudio Project with the StudioLive, so I have a Firewire 400 cable running from the FireStudio Project to the other StudioLive Firewire port. Universal control (latest version) recognizes BOTH units and stacks them the way I would expect. However, when I open Studio One 3 (latest version), ONLY the FireStudio shows up in the audio devices menu. When I go into my utilities, both the StudioLive and FireStudio Project show up under hardware. When I go into my Midi/Audio settings, ONLY the FireStudio Project shows up as an audio device. See attached photos.

Untitled 2.png
FIG 1: FireStudio Project and StudioLive both recognized by Universal Control but ONLY FIRESTUDIO PROJECT recognized in Studio One 3

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 8.36.43 PM.png
FIG 2: Universal Control for FireStudio Project is BYPASSED because it IS being recognized as an audio device in Studio One 3 (shown in first image)

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 8.36.22 PM.png
FIG 3: Universal Control for StudioLive is NOT BYPASSED because it is NOT being recognized as an audio device by Studio One 3

Untitled.png
FIG 4: iMac recognizing both StudioLive and FireStudio Project as connected hardware devices, but ONLY FIRESTUDIO PROJECT is recognized as an audio device.

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 8.10.46 PM.png
FIG 5: iMac not recognizing StudioLive, but recognizing FireStudio Project, as an audio device

In short, I know my StudioLive is talking to the computer, otherwise the FireStudio Project would not show up in Studio One or Universal Control, and the StudioLive would not show up in Universal Control. Any idea how to resolve this? It appears both the iMac midi/audio controls and Studio One 3 do not recognize the StudioLive as an audio device, even though it comes up in Universal Control.

My ideal set up would be to have StudioLive be the workhorse and primary audio device with its 16 inputs, with the daisy-chained FireStudio providing an additional 8 inputs for a total of 24 inputs. As of now only the FireStudio Project, routed indirectly to the computer through my StudioLive, shows up in Studio One. Despite this I can record from the FireStudio (but not the StudioLive). Another lesser question: I have also read that connecting the units via SPDIF will minimize latency - is this true? What is the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance,
Dave
by MikeN47 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 pm
UPDATE: I am able to "bypass" the problem using SPDIF, however this means that all StudioLive channels are compressed into one digital signal and routed through the FireStudio and then sent to the computer. It's a temporary (and unsatisfactory) fix, as I'd like to be able to individually edit each channel from the Studio Live. Right now I can edit all eight FireStudio channels (currently composed of drum mics) - the StudioLive's inputs go into the FireStudio via SPDIF, which combines all channels into one signal (so I cannot edit them separately... e.g. my guitar, synth, and Vox would all come in through a single channel into Studio One). So, I still need an answer to the original problem posted above. For now, this hack can at least get me semi-started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
by SwitchBack on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:04 am
This may be a driver issue under High Sierra. My advice is to obtain a service ticket and then Customer Support can advice you on how to proceed.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:18 pm
My "classic" times are long ago, but I wonder about the terms "daisy chain" and "stack". As far as I remember UC Control allows you to choose EITHER the SL 16.4.2 OR the FireStudio Project. Cascading/merging was introduced with the AI series (SL via FireWire and RM via AVB).
by roblof on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:46 pm
Wasn’t the legacy studiolive mapped as a firestudio in the driver?

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by ChrisCastilloRN on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:25 am
I am having the same issue. I recently setup my home studio again and upgraded my Mac Mini to Sierra. My studio live 16.4.2(Non AI) is recognized by the universal control but when I open up Capture 2 or Studio One 2 Professional I only see a audio device for a FireStudio which I don't even have. Any new thoughts? Thanks for the Help.
by lockbody on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 am
My Classic shows up as a FireStudio. Just go into S1 Audio IO and add your inputs and whatever outputs you want to use within S1. With my 24.4.2 I added all 24 inputs and 25/26 for outputs since I’m total ITB recording.

Bob

Studio One 3.5 Professional
StudioLive 24.4.2 “Classic”
Faderport 1
MacBook Pro mid-2012/High Sierra/16g/512g SSD
Plugin Alliance and Waves plugins
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:05 am
If all of you are talking about Macs as computers, you may want to read two articles in the Knowledge Base. The articles might give your thoughts a direction.

1) Mac OS X 10.12 / macOS12 - PreSonus Compatibility Statement
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/213882323-Mac-OS-X-10-12-macOS12-PreSonus-Compatibility-Statement

2) How do I Uninstall and Reinstall my device drivers for the StudioLive on a Mac?
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046563-How-do-I-Uninstall-and-Reinstall-my-device-drivers-for-the-StudioLive-on-a-Mac-

Also visit the download pages of SL 2442 and SL 1642:

https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-24.4.2/downloads
https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-16.4.2/downloads

To see more versions of everything, select your operating system and click on "Show/Hide all versions..."

Hope this helps.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1