StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
2 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey All,
I have lived with my 24.4.2 set up a certain way for a couple of years at least. However I was thinking about his and I am wondering if I have things wrong.

I have my 24.4.2 connected to my Windows 10 PC via Firewire. I use the board in my home studio only, and it sits set up and doesn't change purpose. It is my PC soundcard. I run a pair of JBL LSR 4328's and an LSR 4312 for the Sub. All works swell, except I am wondering of this is the correct method.

I have the above mentioned JBL's attached as the Main Out. I light the Firewire Return buttons on channels one and two as my PC sound. I am now thinking that this is wrong. Obviously I am printing whatever the output of the PC is to any recording. I don't want to do that.

Am I better off using the Control Room output of the 24.4.2 to connect the JBL studio monitors? That would route all of my output to the control room pot, and I wouldn't then be capturing that PC out on any recorded material. I realize that this may be very obvious to some of you, but I am a very casual user with not a lot of stick time with these products. Am I better off with the second setup?

Thanks folks - I very much appreciate any advice.

Joe
by SwitchBack on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:44 pm
Personally I'd use the CR outputs for studio monitoring. It has two advantages:
- it still allows you to listen to main out but also to the solo bus, tape in and the main firewire return (ideally your PC/DAW's main output) without having to touch the main output (mix and level wise).
- it frees up the main output for an extra stereo monitor mix or for recording.

Only disadvantage:
- CR out does not have its own PEQ/GEQ processing. Not a problem when you have great studio monitors in a great room. Otherwise you may need some (DAW) EQing to correct for monitor/room deficiencies.

Not sure how this is a USB question though...

2 posts
Page 1 of 1