StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
14 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm having a bit of trouble when saving a scene....16.0.2 with VSL.
I can save the overall scene just fine.....when I recall and reload it on the board, the levels, fat channel settings, overall name of scene, are all there. Except the channel names....they revert back to standard "Channel 1", "Channel 2", etc. (rather than "Vox", "GTR", "Kick", etc. as I named them).

What am I missing?
by SwitchBack on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:00 pm
Try dropping the scene onto the channel names strip. It should highlight when you do that.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:04 pm
Your computer or device needs permission to change names. The manual ("StudioLive Classic Software Reference Manual") is your friend:

3 Universal Control and VSL
3.7 VSL: Setup Tab
Channel Rename.
Allows channels, auxes (...) to be renamed remotely using SL Remote.

http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-16.0.2
by davem801 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:43 pm
wahlerstudios wroteYour computer or device needs permission to change names. The manual ("StudioLive Classic Software Reference Manual") is your friend:

3 Universal Control and VSL
3.7 VSL: Setup Tab
Channel Rename.
Allows channels, auxes (...) to be renamed remotely using SL Remote.

http://www.presonus.com/support/downloads/StudioLive-16.0.2

Hmmmm. That works to actually name the channels. But if I shut down, when I power up all the channel names are gone. All the rest of the settings are saved, but the channel names on the strip (on VSL and SLR only of course) revert back to "Ch 1", "Ch2", etc.

I can CHANGE the names just fine, but I can't seem to SAVE them.

Oh, and dragging the scene onto the channel strip names doesn't seem to work either.
by davem801 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:12 pm
OK, so I found "the answer" in the manual.........and it's even more confusing.

To wit, first it says this:

3.5.2 Loading Scribble Strip Labels
Scribble Strip labels are stored with your Scenes. You can load just the labels
by selecting the Scene from the Browser window and dragging it over the row
of Scribble Strips above the Channel Faders. The Scribble Strips will gray out,
indicating that the Scribble Strip labels from the Scene are about to be loaded.

But then, after a screen shot/graphic, it says this on the same page:

Please Note: Scribble Strip labels are not saved when a Scene created in VSL is transferred
to your StudioLive. For example, if you create a Scene in VSL, transfer it to your StudioLive’s
memory and then transfer it back into VSL (or recall it from the StudioLive while VSL
is connected), your Scribble Strip labels will have been removed and will not load.

So, it clearly states that scribble strip labels are stored along with a Scene. But then it clearly states that those labels are NOT saved IF the scene was created in VSL. So my question is: How do you create scribble strip labels (what I've been referring to as "channel names") if not in VSL? I can't do this on the console itself, can I?

Again, what am I missing?

d.
by SwitchBack on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:26 pm
When you save a scene "on the disk" in VSL it will save the labels you set in VSL too.

When you send that scene to the mixer's "device memory" the mixer has no use for the labels and no room to store them either. So the scene settings will be stored in the mixer but not the labels.

Now when you overwrite the scene you saved "on the disk" with the one stored in the mixer's "device memory" your labels will be gone.

So when your workflow has scenes going back and forth between disk and mixer then create a "labels" scene "on the disk" with just the labels. You can use it to just populate the scribble strip in VSL after you loaded the mixer scene.
by davem801 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 pm
ARRRRRG, this is driving me nuts. For some reason, I just can't seem to get this. I feel like such an idiot because I generally "get" these types of things with no problem. But I just can't seem to figure this out. It seems like every time I try to do this I get different results...works sometimes, other times not, and sometimes the whole saving/backing up/"get"/"send" things just ends up in a messy pile of crap on the floor. ugh.

Somewhere along the line I can't seem to consistently save or recall or backup what my current scene configuration is before powering down, so that when I power back up it's all how it was when I left it last (or that I can at the very least "recall" it from some location).

So, I'm inviting you to treat me like a complete childlike moron....please (PLEASE?) walk me through exactly what I'm supposed to do to make this work for me. Step by step would be great. (and please don't use any big words! :roll: )

How EXACTLY do I go about saving a scene, on the computer and/or the console, and how do I not lose my scribble strip names every time I power down?

thanks for your patience, I promise you that it is appreciated,
d.
by SwitchBack on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:25 am
Not sure if a step-by-step will help you understand the problem. Maybe this helps:

The only place where you can store (scenes with) scribble strip data is in the 'on the disk' window in VSL. The mixer itself has no use for it, the mixer's memory has no room for it, and the 'device memory' window in VSL doesn't retain scribble strip data either.

So a scene you 'get' from the mixer will never have scribble strip data. adding such a scene from the 'device memory window' to the 'on the disk' window results in a scene without scribble strip data.

Loading a scene in VSL will only replace the active VSL scribble strip if that scene is recalled from the 'on the disk' window AND contains scribble strip data. Recalling a scene without scribble strip data will replace all active 'scene recall' settings but not the active VSL scribble strip.

So it is very easy to lose or mess up the scribble strip data in an 'on the disk' scene, and recalling such a scene will not replace the active VSL scribble strip. When that happens it is quickly fixed with a "this is the scribble strip" scene (or some other descriptive name) from the 'on the disk' window. Simply pull that scene onto the scribble strip in VSL and it will replace the active labels without affecting any mixer settings.

VSL will always start up with the default labels (Ch 1,…) on the scribble strip. There is AFAIK no way to change that. The mixer itself will always power up without scribble strip data simply because it doesn't have any.
by davem801 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:37 pm
I understand that the mixer/device won't store scribble strips, and therefore anything recalled from there will cause me to lose them.

And I get the concept of creating a "scribble strip scene" with names, and dragging it (from VSL/disk memory, NOT from device memory) to just the strips on VSL will, in theory, populate them.

But it still doesn't quite work.

If I log out of VSL, or power down, the next time I open it all up that "scribble strip scene" does exist in VSL/disk memory, but the scribble strips names are gone.

So answer this question......
Do I have to create the scribble strip scene, and manually write in the names, at the start of every new session? Is there any way to save the actual names on the strips for longer than just during the actual session I'm on at the time?
by SwitchBack on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:06 pm
No, you should be able to type in the strip names in VSL, add the scene to the 'on the disk' window, and recall the strip names from it the next time you boot. Works that way with my 16.4.2 classic.
by davem801 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:48 pm
And that is exactly what I'm trying to do, and what just doesn't seem to work.
hmmmmm.

Let me ask you this way.....
If I create a new scene (or even tweak an existing one) on VSL (from the "on the disk" window), is there anything I need to do to actually "save" it before powering down? There doesn't seem to be any button, or menu, or right/click option to do so.
So as it stands now, I merely log off and shut down. When I power/boot back up, that new scene is there, and any settings I made (EQ, Fat Channel, etc.) all seem to be how I left them......except the damn scribble strip names!

I should note that my entire life I've been a PC user. I bought a dedicated Macbook for use with the Studiolive, so this is the first time I'm working in Mac. Some of the basic functions are of course different than I'm used to, and that may be a clue to why I'm having so much difficulty with this.
by SwitchBack on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm
Ah, I think I see where you are getting confused.

The settings you see in VSL on startup are not from computer memory. VSL is merely showing the actual mixer settings, from the mixer's own startup memory. The mixer autostores settings after every change, allowing it to start up with all the settings form when it was shut down, no computer needed. It is these settings VSL is showing on startup. But the scribble strip will be back to the default labels because the mixer doesn't store them.

So back to the 'scribble strip scene' in VSL:
- edit the strip labels
- hit the '+' (add) button in the 'on the disk' window
- follow the on screen instructions to overwrite a scene or to create a new one.
Now you have that scene to drag onto the scribble strip next time you start up.

Hope that helps :)
by davem801 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:44 pm
Finally! It's working.

The key seems to be creating a scene first, THEN saving (or adding" it) to disk memory. I still don't get why it works this way...if I bring up any other already-created scene from disk memory, any other changes I make (this all on VSL) such as FatChannel settings, EQ, and such, are all preserved when I power down and boot back up. It's just the scribble strip labels that seem to work this way. But whatever, I finally found a method that works for what I want to do, and that's all that matters.

So, I created a otherwise blank scene that has scribble strip labels on it. Then, I load my actual scene, and drag just the labels over to it. Phew.

Thanks so much Switchback for being patient and talking me through this.
Next I'm going to see if you can help me tie my shoes.
d.
by SwitchBack on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:55 pm
:thumbup:

14 posts
Page 1 of 1