StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just got home from the gig. The band has a 16.4.2 which had a major repair less than 12 months ago. At the last two gigs it has started cutting out for a few seconds, then coming back. The meters stop during this period. The first time it failed, it was a lot more severe - the whole desk would cut out and shutdown. This happened during a live recording and wrecked the event, so understandably, tonight we were all looking at each other like "uh oh". We are in Sydney Australia - the service centre is still in Melbourne - not handy. However, Presonus USA really came good on the original repair - the desk was out of warranty, but they fixed it for us. I'm just not sure what this current situation means. The desk doesn't get a lot of work; it's very cold here at the moment and it always has a fan running on it, so it's not overheating. I'm posting here for an opinion on what this is most likely to be. I have done a zero board reset. We feel like we would like to get a new desk. The problem is that we wouldn't feel good about selling this desk to some other band in this condition. But we need to get something back on it and the AU dollar is not helpful. So . . .

1. Is this the beginning of another mainboard, power supply failure? If so;
2. Is there a trade in deal available so this desk can go back to the factory?

I started with a BlueMax; then 2 FireStudios; now I own an RM16AI - I'm a happy customer. I wish I could find a way out of this. It's really nerve wracking playing a gig, waiting for the desk to drop out . . .any advice much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
by Tangledown on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:15 pm
Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you.
I would like Presonus to take the desk back and I would happily pay what would be required to buy a later 16 4 2 ai.
I could never trust my 1642 again even if I got it fixed.
My 1602 and rm16ai have been brilliant so far.
by paulkneipp on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:21 pm
So you are having the same issue - audio dropouts? No clicks, just silence?
by Tangledown on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:10 pm
Mine has died once too often.
I sent it for a repair and was quoted 600 quid.
It's 4 years old and has hardly done anything.
There's no way I would ever trust the pile of shite again so I've just washed my hands of it and left it with the 'menders'
On the plus side, my 1602 and my rm16ai have been great.
The 1642 was an absolute dog!
by wahlerstudios on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:06 pm
When I had my SL 1642 I used it for about 100 shows without any problems. All the time it has been rock solid, while my SL 2442 was less used and after a few months got a problem with a fader bank. This caused some audio dropouts and added funny noises (high frequency audio peaks). I got it repaired and it worked fine until it was sold.

A "factory reset" (does a lot more than "zero out") can help if a problem has to do with the functionality of the board, but it doesn't repair any physical defect. I can only recommend to send the board to your service center. But it is always a good idea to send a detailed description before and ask if it makes sense to send the board to service. Sometimes they ask for a special test to get a clearer picture or they have a special tip, what should be done. They are the experts, not you!

I know how it feels when you can't trust your board any more. But this is not a PreSonus problem. Any digital board can fail any time...!
by reedingersoll on Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:36 pm
guess im not the only one...mine has maybe a few hundred hours total on it, and did the same thing a few years ago, cut out and meters were maxed...turn off for an hour and it boots back up. then it did it again a few more times before staying that way....sent for repair and it worked for a while then sat barely used for covid...now its doing it again, turns back on but cant use for the gig this weekend, too risky and im afraid it has turned into a very expensive brick. not worth fixing a third time. hopefully they will give me a break and compensate somehow for a unit that saw occasional gigging and once a month practices for a few years, then zero for covid. not new but close. computers fail at the core and youre screwed, cant believe one thing goes wrong and the entire unit is worthless.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:02 pm
"A few hundred hours total" is definitely not "close to new". It's a good used device, with the need of a second major repair, which can not happen, because the mixer is not serviced anymore. Check the information in the PreSonus Knowledge Base (July 2021).

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -2-Classic
by SwitchBack on Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:14 pm
No such thing as a 4 year old 16.4.2. Production started in 2009 and ran for some 4 years so do the math. And 'few running hours' doesn't count either because electrolytic capacitors degrade anyway, maybe even more when the unit isn't used.

And then, digital mixers are computers in the shape of mixers, nothing more and nothing less. So by today the 16.4.2 is a 14 year old computer. How many still use computers that old? Maybe it is time to see the 16.4.2 for what it is: A great design for its time, like the Apple I ;)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1