StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
17 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm working with a 24.4.2 and just noticed a problem. With all channels muted, I pressed the "Inputs" button and noticed channel 22 was pegged. Un-muting the channel and bringing the slider up gave me very loud white noise. After dropping the slider, I turned the Line/Mic knob fully counterclockwise with no change. Next I checked to see what was plugged into channel 22 to find nothing was plugged in. I haven't tried unplugging the rest of the channels yet, but from what I think I understand I shouldn't need to, correct? I'm still fairly new to the board and don't know what could be causing this and any help would be appreciated.
by mwright137 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:59 am
Was the FireWire return engaged?

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by msuydam on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:42 pm
I'll try that and let you know but I'll need to look it up. I don't know how to verify that. Is there a reset capability as well?
by mwright137 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:58 pm

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by fredy2 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:45 pm
Plug a set of headphones into the insert jack for that channel... If you hear the noise (it would only be on one side of the headphones) then a preamp has gone bad... Other than that I suspect the 100 mfd / 6.2 volt cap at the input of the A_D for that channel has gone bad... not a repair for DIY unless you are adept at electronic repair.
by dave763 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:03 am
I have a 24.4.2 that has very loud white noise on channels 17 and 18 with nothing plugged in. Channels 9 and 10 also have white noise only not as loud. Factory reset did not change anything,
Last night I replaced 35 caps(100uF 6.3V)on the ADC board, that did not change anything. Noise is the same. Going to try and track it down.
I ordered some 33079, PCM 4204 and PCM 4104 chips.
Anyone else have this problem ? What was the fix?
Last edited by dave763 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by dave763 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:08 am
Presonus won't make service manuals available and they won't sell me the ADC DAC boards
But they will let me ship it to them for repair..... that is so messed up. I realize these mixers are designed to go from the consumer to the scrap yard but if I want to spend my money to buy parts for a repair they should sell them. I want to replace the ADC/ DAC boards
I have been a Presonus customer for a long time but that is about to change
by dave763 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:25 am
It makes no sense to not sell me the parts I need. bleep??????
by dave763 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:27 am
One phone call to support was on hold for almost an hour then I get ... sorry, we can't sell you those parts.
Yes I'm pissed
by wahlerstudios on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:46 pm
Why not buy a second hand SL 2442 for spare parts...? One tip: Also have a look at the fader banks. The DSP board does not neccessarily need to have a failure, but the old faders get dirty over the years...

End of irony.

I don't know how it is handled in your country, but in Europe it is forbidden to use any electronic equipment that was not repaired or serviced by an authorized service company (authorized by the manufacturer). Additionally here in Germany we have to yearly renew a licence, which by a documented test proves the perfect electric state of each piece of electronic equipment used in a public surrounding (like concerts). Modifications of electronic equipment are anyway strictly forbidden.

Don't blame PreSonus for not selling you parts. Nobody does that and there are good reasons for it!
by dave763 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:32 pm
Yes I'm sure they have they're reasons
I have tracked the noise down. All the inputs and outputs of the 33079 quad op amps on the ADC board are passing a nice clean signal from the preamps
When we get to the 33079s on the DAC board, output pins are outputting the white noise along with the signal I have feeding one of the noisy channels
Definitely getting close
I hope this is it and not the PCM 4104
by roblof on Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:51 am
wahlerstudios wroteI don't know how it is handled in your country, but in Europe it is forbidden to use any electronic equipment that was not repaired or serviced by an authorized service company (authorized by the manufacturer).

Perhaps in germany, but not generally in the EC.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by wahlerstudios on Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:25 am
I think that it is European standard that any altered equipment/machine/tool/car may not be used any longer (at least in public private use). Also in Sweden no insurance will pay anything if somebody gets hurt or a fire is caused by equipment, which was changed or modified - and it doesn't matter WHO has done the modification. One needs to apply for a new official allowance to use modified (not repaired!) equipment. This is like releasing a new product, so it does not make any sense.
by jgrilo on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 pm
Hey sorry to bump this old thread but did anyone ever find out what component is failed to cause the white noise?

I have a 16.4.2 and chan 3-4 is bad, just white noise with nothing, replaced the PSU on the board already (other one failed)

The headphones in the insert gave no signal or noise at all.
by shonelliott on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:19 pm
Did anyone find out the problem to this? I'm experiencing the same thing except from channels 9-16. This is pretty devastating. I have nothing plugged into those channels, but I can't help but think that it's not good for them to be in this state. Anyone have any ideas how to correct this problem? It seems like a firmware or software bug within the mixer itself.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:09 am
The only recommendation can be to open a ticket with Support. Go to your PreSonus account and find "Support" in the upper menue. The yellow button "Create A Ticket" beneath is waiting for you... ;-)
by pnnaranin on Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:58 am
dave763 wroteYes I'm sure they have they're reasons
I have tracked the noise down. All the inputs and outputs of the 33079 quad op amps on the ADC board are passing a nice clean signal from the preamps
When we get to the 33079s on the DAC board, output pins are outputting the white noise along with the signal I have feeding one of the noisy channels
Definitely getting close
I hope this is it and not the PCM 4104

hello everyone, sorry to reopen such an old topic but has this board been repaired please? I have a studiolive 16.4.2 AI with the exact same problem, I've already replaced the 100uF capacitors and I still have huge white noise on channel 11 and sometimes briefly on 12. I'm considering replacing the opamps 33079 is it worth it?

Thank you in advance for replies guys :D

17 posts
Page 1 of 1