StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Forum Users

I have had lockups on 3 brand new 16.4.2 mixers.
The first one locked up right after I got it. Got a replacement mixer and it locked up.
I replaced my Macbook with a Macbook Pro in case that was the issue. I also changed the Firewire cable to a Belkin 400 to 800.
PreSonus support sent me a new replacement. 3rd mixer locks up too with or without Firewire connected
I have been able to replicate the lockup on demand. It seems to be related to the "Tape In" jacks.
I now use the "Aux A" inputs for MP3 or CD players. Since using the "Aux A" input jacks I have not seen another lockup.
PreSonus Tech Support has been terrific in trying to get this resolved, but has not been able to reproduce the problem in the lab.

Steps to reproduce…
Connect MP3 player to "Tape In" jacks. In my case I use an IPod Touch via headphone jack to RCA
Load a fat channel setting into any channel
Leave the load button active
Change to other channels
Wait 10 to 20 minutes (important step to reproduce the issue)
Change to any other channel
Turn load button off
Freeze or Lockup
Board will still pass audio but will not respond to any button clicks.
The Select and Mute buttons will light up on channels 10-12.

Turning mixer off and then back on will clear the lockup.

Has anyone else experienced lockups or freezing when the "Tape In" jacks are used?

Thanks
David
by Citylights on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:09 pm
Mine froze up this weekend. The trigger seemed to be the load button. As soon as I pressed it a second time it froze. I think the problem may have been voltage though. Board kept freezing and had a couple of drop outs until I put it on a separate circuit. Did not push the load button after the first freeze but multiple crashes. I did have an mp3 connected to tape in, but that is normal set up.
by mamerica on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:10 pm
Why would you leave the Load Button active for twenty minutes? If you don't, and it doesn't lock up, I think you found your answer.

RM16AI; StudioLive 16.4.2 AI;
MacBook Pro; MacMini;
Studio One Proffesional; FaderPort
Waves MultiRack
by [email protected] on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:02 am
Keeping the load button on for the 20 minutes was the only way that I know of where I could reproduce the problem on demand. The board(s) had freeze ups that would appear random without pushing any buttons during a live performance.
by navexela on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:41 am
pressing the load button a second time is what is causing the lockup. been there done that.
by BWeisler on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:59 pm
I am having the same issue. For me it happens whether or not I have anything hooked up to the board. I know that the board had locked up because either the "Gain Reduction" LED had maxed out or all of the Inputer Monitor LEDs max out. I have had my board for almost 2 years and it just started happening about 3 weeks ago. Like you I can't lock it down to any 1 issue that makes it happen.
by [email protected] on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:04 pm
My issue that makes it happen is if the Tape In jacks are used. I have not seen any freezes when they are not used.
by JDR on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:45 am
I have sent my board back TWICE for this issue …. I think it's a design flaw.

PRESONUS - What say yee?
by JDR on Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:00 am
"Was the computer connected when the "freeze up" happened or was it stand alone"

In this case YES; today I didn't try it otherwise. With the first return - sent after a final-straw incident - a 'outer was def' NOT connected.

"Was there a sine wave uninterruptible power supply connected to the board and computer." No. If that would solve it, I'll spend the cash. If I spend the cash and the problem persists, I'll be even more frustrated.

"What computer and OS." . Thinkpad / XP … both dedicated to this system.

"Have you optimized the computer for digital audio and is it set up to NEVER go to sleep or have the computer go to sleep " … Yes, all per your instruction videos.

"Are your computer and mixer BOTH running the latest software and drivers." Yes

"Have you tried different cables (firewire) if the problem is only there when the computer is connected." …. No. I'm using the "original Presonus supplied" cable
by mwright137 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:02 pm
Please remember this is a user forum. If you need support from PreSonus, you must submit a support request. I won't say PreSonus employees never post in here, but they are not set up to provide support via the forums.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by GLJones on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:41 pm
Wondering if the Tape In lockup might be related to either static electricity or a potential issue due to grounding. I have had the board lock up when I gave it a big jolt of static to one of the jacks on the back. Touch the case first and it doesn't happen but if I touch the RCA or an XLR pin I can sometimes get the board to lock. Perhaps the RCA from your CD Player is 'shocking' the board?

Just an idea. BTW - Most of the time when my board is producing no sound or locked, changing the Firewire ID to '1' then back to '0' will fix it, unless the setup button is locked and you can't get there.

Jerry Jones

PreSonus StudioLive 24.4.2
PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2
StudioOne V3
Mac Mini
MacBook Pro (2)
iPad
iPad Mini
by SwitchBack on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:28 pm
Try this for a quick demonstration:
- connect your 16.4.2 to a computer and boot up
- select 'load', then power down the computer
- wait for the SL to resume passing audio, then deselect load.
Familiar picture?

Note that this load-lock mechanism only exists in 16.4.2s. None of the other mixers have it.
by kenguidry on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:51 pm
Okay! I have a fix for the freezing on start up on the Studio Live 16.4.2.. When The GR meter is pegged out no sound.. Go to the system window page down to the Fire wire page. Change the Fire wire link ID from 0 to 1 and then back to 0 it will unfreeze and start working properly.. No sure why but this works every time on my Studio Live 16.4.2.. Hope this helps God bless..
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 pm
Yes, that trick I know, but does not help for the problem as described above.
by theCoaccused on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:00 pm
wow.. this sounds a lot like the issue I am having with my board and have been trouble shooting in the other current active thread here in the 16.4.2 thread. I should have read this because I have actually been using the 'tape in' to test if my trouble shooting is fixing things.. so, I will have to test the board for a few days without using the tape in section.
by 4mal on Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:56 pm
Interesting. Yeah, we had that happen a ton this last weekend. And yeah, we were on tape in. My hard headed partner's choice. I prefer the aux. rca's are never my first choice for the obvious reasons... Some testing to be done!
by SwitchBack on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:52 pm
My advice: have 'load' selected as briefly as possible!

With 'load' selected the 16.4.2 mixers seem to be susceptible to outside 'interference'. I don't know exactly what sort of interference (static electricity, power glitches, firewire hiccups, ground loop noise, ...) is the culprit, but if it happens when 'load' is selected then something inside the mixer latches, resulting in a lock up as soon as 'load' is deselected.

So to minimise exposure always remember to deselect 'load' right after loading the preset or scene you were after. It's the difference between crossing a road or camping on it ;)
by summitcn on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:40 am
Was the network connected during the lockup?
by roowah on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:12 pm
i have had this happen with and with out the computer connected to the firewire. i'm using the RCA jacks, and so far it has only happened while we are in between sets. i'm connected to a UPS just in case of power issues. i have an empty channel, would it be wise to try passing the signal through it?
by 4mal on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:06 pm
I bring my break music in through Aux A and things are good. My partner uses the tape inputs and experiences lockups frequently. I finally had get him to stop doing that. So far so good.

26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2