StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings All.

About the purchase a 16.0.2, but will need this to be a fully functional desk even when our sound guy is not available.

Hence, need to be able to control the FX on/off via footwitch which I understand needs to be a MIDI controller?

At a practical level, any recommendations for the most cost-effective solution the suits here? What products are folks using in this situation?

Finally, interested to know how easy is it to assign a footswitch to carry out this fairly simple, but critical operation to kill the FX for between song patter.

Looking forward to your throw-back.
Last edited by andrewsutton1 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
by salvadoredelle on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:51 am
this is a sour subject in my opinion... yes you can do it with a MIDI footswitch... I have a big-ass Behringer FCB1010... I fricken Hate that we have to use a MIDI pedal board to this really simple task. The FCB1010 works OK at best and there is a bit of programming to do on both units... the part i dont like is it is a huge foot board not a simple switch... All I want is a dual action simple as can be dumb as a door knob dual footswitch... a single kill/mute for both FX A/B and a tap tempo ... DUH! But Noooo! I have to use a friggen MIDI BOARD with a MIDI cable and a wallwart power supply and all it does is this stupid volume OFF and yea I can do scene changes but i never do that at all with this mixer in a club... bleep? c'mon give us a dumb stupid 1/4 TRS jack we can hook a simple dual action switch up to...

so I end up not wanting to cart around a pedal board as big (bigger) than the mixer... bleep???

I place the 1602 close to me so I can simply reach down and hit the mute and Tap buttons...

the thing is, none of the small digital mixers have this feature... Why? I'd pay a tech to do a Mod if it could be done... but Nooooo! from what i hear it is all in software and a big deal.

use the Ipad!... yea right... I am a bass player and have calluses on my fingers so iPad is not real friendly to me and my touch... it ignores me 1/2 the time or goes flying off to full blast... My Big pro AVID SC48 console has assignable footswitches... DUH!

all i want is a dumb set of 2 switches no giant foot board with a bazillion switches and pedals that I wont ever use or MIDI cables or wallwarts...

so Yea you can do it... I gave up on it a long time ago but i am hoping there will be something simple dumb stupid to do this that does not have to be a huge board and cables and wallwarts.

please let us all know here if you find something that actually works and is not a huge pile of crap on the floor with wires and ... ACK!

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by salvadoredelle on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:55 am
BTW I totally love this little 1602... I use it more than my big ones for Live sound... I can do most basic bands in small clubs no problem... It sounds great and is easy to use... you will love this little board... I have em all and getting a X32 as well so i will have a range of boards for my sound systems to choose from... but the 1602 is my baby! love it! I highly recommend it!

2- 24.4.2 consoles, 1- 1642 console, 1- 1602 console, 1- firestudio tube, 1-AudioBox USB, 1- PRM mic/ 1 DBX cal mic, 1- Behringer X32, 1 Behringer X32 Compact, 1-AVID SC48, 1-Midas Venue f32, 4-Midas Venue 240, Mackie and Yamaha analog mixers, 1 mac mini-on the 1642, 1- Open Labs XXL windows XP based mondo workstation, 1- Open Labs Sound SlatePro windows 7 hot-rod PC. Studio One Artist / Pro, ProTools, Ableton, Reaper, Meyer, QSC, Mackie, JBL speakers. Yamaha C7 Grand Piano with MIDI, lots of synths, samplers and modules, Spector NS2 bass, 2- taylor acoustics, Kay Upright Bass, G&L strat,
by Robskeys on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:26 am
Check out my video below to control fx with a foot switch (1642,2442,3242 only)

phpBB [video]

Good luck !
by andrewsutton1 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:35 pm
Thanks Robskeys - an innovative solution. Well done!

However, as you are aware, it is regrettably not an option for the 16.0.2 which has less sophisticated routing options.

As outlined in previous posts, the fx is controlled by a MIDI (continuous) control change (cc) signal and not a programme change (pc) signal which are more easily achieved using a 3rd party foot-switch.

My innovative solution is to map the 'ambient' fx preset as a 'no fx' preset i.e. same sound as bypass by adjusting (lowering) its fx parameters as far as they will go within the fx patch menu. 'Ambient' is already a very subtle effect, but lowering the values means it effectively has no perceptible 'fx' impact upon the source signal. In summary, this does not mean I am actually muting fx as they stay active, but simply select an fx that has no effect - make sense?

This modified ambient can then be set as the default bypass preset for say, programme change #1 using a simple (and small) MIDI foot controller - I personally use a Midi Mouse pedal by Tech 21 for programme changes in this way and have hence stopped searching for a control change solution.

However, the FS2MIDI foot-switch by AMT (see attachment) may provide a control change solution to mute fx, but please carry out your own research to ensure it meets requirements before purchase.

Further feedback on the above always welcomed!

Attachments
ENG-FS2M-manual-new.pdf
(459.27 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
by glynhughes on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:11 am
The AMT FS-2MIDI looks good and might work to toggle the F/X on & off but the other thing I would like to do with my 16.0.2 would be to control Tap Tempo but that would mean a firmware upgrade from PreSonus to enable this I believe?

Not likely to happen now what with all the focus on the AI product line and the lowly 16.0.2 being so long in the tooth...<sigh>

I know I am not the only one who would like this feature :)

Seems to me another way I might achieve this 'simple task' with the 16.0.2 would be to buy an outboard like the Lexicon MX400XL and Digitech FS3X footswitch, bypass the dynamics on the input channel, route it to one of the Auxes out to the Lexicon and back in on another input?

I guess this way I get to use a better reverb & delay than that built into the PreSonus as a bonus?

Just a pity it can't all be kept in the box.

-=Glyn=-

PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 Firmware 0.98f Build 219
PreSonus StudioLive RM16AI Firmware 1.0.7784
MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i7/16GB/1TB SSD/El Capitan 10.11.6
MacBook Air 1.7GHz i7/8GB/512GB SSD/El Capitan 10.11.6
Universal Control 1.7.3 (1.6.5742 Driver 4.2.0.39752)
Universal Control AI 1.5.0.36497
UC Surface 1.8
Studio One Professional 3.2.0.36707
Capture 2.2.0.36497
SL-Remote 1.5.5503
QMix 1.3.5508
QMix AI 1.2.29258
iPhone 6S iOS 9.3.4
iPad Air 2 iOS 9.3.4
by larryrudkin on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:45 pm
I have a friend who uses a 16.0.2 for corporate and has a unique way of switching fxa and fxb on and off.

he assigns effects to an aux. then runs a jack from the aux output to an on/off footswitch and back to an input on the board. this is cost effective (cheap cheap) and works well enough he says. You have to have the extra channel is the catch.

So good switching: :thumbup:
by glynhughes on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:05 pm
That might get me halfway there Larry so thanks for that!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

PreSonus StudioLive 16.0.2 Firmware 0.98f Build 219
PreSonus StudioLive RM16AI Firmware 1.0.7784
MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i7/16GB/1TB SSD/El Capitan 10.11.6
MacBook Air 1.7GHz i7/8GB/512GB SSD/El Capitan 10.11.6
Universal Control 1.7.3 (1.6.5742 Driver 4.2.0.39752)
Universal Control AI 1.5.0.36497
UC Surface 1.8
Studio One Professional 3.2.0.36707
Capture 2.2.0.36497
SL-Remote 1.5.5503
QMix 1.3.5508
QMix AI 1.2.29258
iPhone 6S iOS 9.3.4
iPad Air 2 iOS 9.3.4
by andrewsutton1 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am
...very late reply, but if you don't have an Aux send spare (we use all four Aux sends for monitors), or want to use the MIDI function in a more effective than simply off/off, I have found an effective workaround on the 16.0.2 for control of FX via a foot switch.

Although there is no 'bypass' preset within the FX suite of the 16.0.2, by selecting 'Ambience' and dialling down the parameters as far as you can (not possible to completely reach zero), this FX is as far as the ear is concerned, equivalent to a bypass preset.

Save this to a memory slot and by using a MIDI pedal (I use a Tech 21 Midi Mouse) into the MIDI 'in' socket you can step through presets you require.

I have the Ambience bypass set at MIDI Programme Change 01 for between song chatter with subsequent presets mapped to 02, 03 & 04 etc. We simply use a plate reverb, a slap-back delay and nice vocal delay and these are all available via the Midi Mouse without touching the board... :D

9 posts
Page 1 of 1