Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
New toy!! and so brite
by Vocalpoint on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:53 am
garyanderson5 wroteMy systems 100% solid on 1909 and has been since the day i built it and you want me to take a chance on Windows updating and working for a DAW update. Really.

Gary,

Unfortunately - your system is 100% unsupported by Presonus and pretty much every other vendor out there who supports the standard Microsoft Windows Lifecycle.

Windows 10 1909 end of life was May 21, 2021. I am actually surprised you haven't seen other messages like this besides Studio One.

FWIW: 22H2 is rock solid, mature and reliable. It's not a stretch to make the move.

But I suppose you could always dig in your heels, stay where you are and not upgrade.

Cheers!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by MisterE on Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:05 pm
garyanderson5 wroteSo now i am forced to update Windows as well for the first time ever. My systems 100% solid on 1909 and has been since the day i built it and you wan't me to take a chance on Windows updating and working for a DAW update. Really.

Missing why you're "forced" to update to 6.1?

Also missing why you believe PC hardware components should be able to run new software updates in perpetuity?

True, your five-year old processor isn't exactly ancient; on the other hand, new generations of processors have been released which take advantage of later versions of Win10 and Win11. I suspect you have Windows Update turned off because while five years old isn't ancient, it's old enough to be somewhat iffy regarding what'll happen if Windows updates.

I feel your pain of really wanting to run 6.1 on your present system and not being able to do it, but nothing is permanent in PC land. For example, I had to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 to use V5. It's not just you facing the reality of PC obsolescence, it's all of us.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by garyanderson5 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:04 pm
MisterE wrote
garyanderson5 wroteSo now i am forced to update Windows as well for the first time ever. My systems 100% solid on 1909 and has been since the day i built it and you wan't me to take a chance on Windows updating and working for a DAW update. Really.

Missing why you're "forced" to update to 6.1?

Also missing why you believe PC hardware components should be able to run new software updates in perpetuity?

True, your five-year old processor isn't exactly ancient; on the other hand, new generations of processors have been released which take advantage of later versions of Win10 and Win11. I suspect you have Windows Update turned off because while five years old isn't ancient, it's old enough to be somewhat iffy regarding what'll happen if Windows updates.

I feel your pain of really wanting to run 6.1 on your present system and not being able to do it, but nothing is permanent in PC land. For example, I had to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 to use V5. It's not just you facing the reality of PC obsolescence, it's all of us.

I don't just expect anything to work because my systems five years old. The point is everything works except one app, 6.1. Everything is upto date except Windows and some drivers. One app has problems so my hardware and OS is hardley the issue here. One app is.

The only chips that take any advantage of Windows updates is 12th-13th gen Intels on DDR5 Ram with the thread scheduler on WIN11. There's zero benefit or performance increase onwards other wise from 1909 WIN10 other than fixes for broke updates that gimped chip performance and fixed drivers that Microsoft or the third party venders broke or made poor quality in the first place. PCIE4 over PCIE3 is nice but overated for NVME drives. Hardley worth the updated unless your a gamer with a modern card who needs PCIE4-5.The reason a lot of us stay on one OS and don't update is because where not beta testers for flakey companies like Microsoft. The vast majority of software problems are caused by software updates not hardware.

6.1 is the only app that doesn't work. Every other peice of software i own is upto date including Cubase 12 wich is also above my OS requirements. (64-bit Windows 10 Version 21H2 (or higher), 64-bit Windows 11 Version 21H2 (or higher) Funny how S1 is the only app that won't work.

I have a 13900k in the pipeline so i will wait till then, updating is to risky for this one update of S1.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by gregghart on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:14 pm
It's weird that S1 is your only app complaining, because most software companies with continued updates and live service support are wise to stick with OS EOLs, because it's one less thing that "could be the problem" if an issue arises. I mean, I get your concerns as well, but you can't expect any OS to remain supported forever and you certainly can't expect any active software company to continue to support an outdated OS. It makes no actual business sense. It might seem like it should make sense to an end user, but in the grand scheme, it makes no sense at all. I know it's an inconvenience to the end user, but it is what it is, and it's an unfortunate side effect of technology.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by MisterE on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:27 pm
garyanderson5 wrote
I don't just expect anything to work because my systems five years old. The point is everything works except one app, 6.1. Everything is upto date except Windows and some drivers. One app has problems so my hardware and OS is hardley the issue here. One app is.

The only chips that take any advantage of Windows updates is 12th-13th gen Intels on DDR5 Ram with the thread scheduler on WIN11. There's zero benefit or performance increase onwards ...

Once again I'm not entirely unsympathetic to your feelings, however, you may want to open up to the possibility that Presonus has not made this decision to phuck you up, they've made it to insure you and everyone else has the best experience.

I've also read elsewhere what you said about the only improvements for CPUs are that 12-13th gen Intels and DDR5 Ram gets better treatment in Win 11. But that's just what some people know so far and have written about so far.

Apparently, Presonus, whose job it is to insure compatability of OS, CPU, and latest versions of S1, feels there are valid arguments to warn people that they could experience unexpected consequences unless they're on later versions of Win10. You'd have to give them some credit for looking out for that, wouldn't you? (ducks)

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by garyanderson5 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:35 pm
gregghart wroteIt's weird that S1 is your only app complaining, because most software companies with continued updates and live service support are wise to stick with OS EOLs, because it's one less thing that "could be the problem" if an issue arises. I mean, I get your concerns as well, but you can't expect any OS to remain supported forever and you certainly can't expect any active software company to continue to support an outdated OS. It makes no actual business sense. It might seem like it should make sense to an end user, but in the grand scheme, it makes no sense at all. I know it's an inconvenience to the end user, but it is what it is, and it's an unfortunate side effect of technology.

It's probably simular to the last service pack Windows 7 needed for V4 i think it was. It needed this to install V4 and work if you had Windows updates turned off. I am more than willing to update my OS Gregg, but until i see some solid move from this company with performance updates and a move to Windows 11, I am not updating anything for fluff updates. They need to make it worth the effort when i can use any DAW i want right now without being forced to update my OS.

They could of at least made the installer generate an error code for what's missing for it to run other than a full OS update. A couple of Windows patches could be all it needs.

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by Vocalpoint on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:43 pm
garyanderson5 wrote Everything is up to date except Windows and some drivers.

If you are running Windows 1909 - nothing is up to date. You haven't had security updates for literally almost two years and who knows what else you are missing.

Trust me - I am just as sensitive to this as you (probably more) but choosing to not keep Windows current has no benefit whatsoever in 2023. You are simply asking for pain by holding out.

Not sure what else can be said - but the world is not going to slow down and all vendors need to fall in line with Microsoft's policies if they are going to offer lockstep support on the OS (not just Presonus).

It's all about "Install this version today" (be it OS, apps, drivers or whatever) and "start planning for the next one" tomorrow.

FWIW: You could literally do the Windows Feature update now and be rocking 6.1 later this aft. I went from 1909 to 21H2 to 22H2 without any concerns, delays or issues. 21H2 to 22H2 literally was a single Windows Update file that took 30 seconds to install.

VP
Last edited by Vocalpoint on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by garyanderson5 on Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:59 pm
MisterE wrote
garyanderson5 wrote

The only chips that take any advantage of Windows updates is 12th-13th gen Intels on DDR5 Ram with the thread scheduler on WIN11. There's zero benefit or performance increase onwards ...

Once again I'm not entirely unsympathetic to your feelings, however, you may want to open up to the possibility that Presonus has not made this decision to phuck you up, they've made it to insure you and everyone else has the best experience.

I've also read elsewhere what you said about the only improvements for CPUs are that 12-13th gen Intels and DDR5 Ram gets better treatment in Win 11. But that's just what some people know so far and have written about so far.

Apparently, Presonus, whose job it is to insure compatability of OS, CPU, and latest versions of S1, feels there are valid arguments to warn people that they could experience unexpected consequences unless they're on later versions of Win10. You'd have to give them some credit for looking out for that, wouldn't you? (ducks)

I just built a 13900k rig for a fellow producer last week. WIN10 gimped his chip, not by much though. WIN11 produced better results. He had some GFX card Latency but after i ripped the Nvidia junk out it's working great. I waited till we got his up and running before i decided to jump to WIN11 so it's in the pipeline in a few months time. I can wait for this update till then.

I don't know how long Presonus have had system requirements based on a specific Windows OS version, If it was a while ago and my version 6 worked until today then why didn't they inform people something changed in this update. Obviously they changed something from the original V6 release for it suddenly not to work. I am using 6.0.2 with zero problems regardless if they stated the latest version of WIN10 requirements or not. Iv'e never seen any DAW company change OS version requirements mid life cycle but here we are.

by TonalDynamics on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:08 pm
Vocalpoint wrote
garyanderson5 wrote Everything is up to date except Windows and some drivers.

If you are running Windows 1909 - nothing is up to date. You haven't had security updates for literally almost two years and who knows what else you are missing.

This is false for many editions of windows, like LTSC which I'm using for my audio workstation, where security and driver/firmware updates are provided regardless of whether regular 'feature' updates have been installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Composer for Media, Producer, Noodler.

System Specs:

Studio One Professional v6.5

Windows 10 LTSC 21H2, i9 10850k, 128gb RAM, 6 TB SSD+6 TB HDD, RME Fireface 800

10 posts
Page 1 of 1