Studiolive 32Ai, 24Ai and 16Ai Consoles with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote Ai, and QMix Ai
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hopefully this is the correct forum for this as I didn't find anything "StudioLive" in the Recording forum.
Just got the mixer and am a bit confused, can this record direct into Studio Live, if I was tracking say a studio session with a drummer to be able to pass signal back and forth? I run S1 recording software, currently on ver. 4 but have purchased ver. 6.5, just not installed at the moment. Few years back I just got into the mantra "don't upgrade unless broken" after I had some software hiccups that caused me a loss of a paying session.

So I am a bit confused - the Capture Live, does that need to run in order to grab input signal from the StudioLive mixer, or I can access it straight into Studio One and work it like an audio interface?

Also - can you track channel effects on? I am looking to just print some of these, especially on drums, comp and eq, as I prefer the old school approach, if it sounds good I print as I go along.

Thanks in advance for your help!
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:56 pm
You can use your 16.0.2 as audio interface for Studio One. The mixer sends its 16 input channels plus the main output as 18 usb channels to the computer/DAW. Each input channel send can be pre or post EQ&Dynamics (per the Dig Out button).

The computer/DAW can return 16 usb channels to the mixer channels. On the mixer you can choose per channel if you want to listen to the analog input or to the computer return (usb button above the solo button).

So you don't have to use Capture for recording. Studio One also has some templates to set things up for recording with the 16.0.2. And for playback you can choose to return the Studio One main mix to the mixer (to the monitor usb button) or to create a return output for each of the 16 tracks. You can even do recording (from the mixer's analog inputs) and playback (to the mixer's input channels) at the same time, for some or for all tracks.

The big difference with 'normal' interfaces is that the returns from the computer don't go straight to the mixer's outputs but they go to the mixer's input channels, just like the analog inputs. Easy to get used to and very flexible :)
by houstonmusic on Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:41 pm
@SwitchBack - thank you, I don't think the spec page made much sense in that regard and what I could find from PreSonus on the site confused me even further, I was wondering whether it was even worth unpacking at this point. Once I saw that "Capture Live" software, it got even more strange.
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:52 pm
Yeah, Capture is mostly a digital recorder. Easy on the computer, easy to use, and whatever you record in Capture imports straight into Studio One. But you can skip it and record straight into Studio One if you and your computer are OK with that. Way more options that way.
by houstonmusic on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 am
Awesome! I could see Capture being useful if you are recording a live show and want small overhead, but it's pretty much S1 for me in my current workflow all the way to mastering, then I switch to T-Racks.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1